Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Creature Feature: The Wyvern

An Excerpt from The Saga of Hero the First Crow

I don't just want an excerpt, damnit.     I want to read the whole Saga.

Beautifully written, as usual.   Moar, please.

Why stop at the Saga? 

We want all the lore! :D

Life is not a Destination  -- Enjoy the Journey

Stand back, then, my friend. Stand back, watch and learn.

wxDQ4r3.png

The wyvern presented makes me wish we'd stay in Summer all the time. It looks god damn amazing and tenacious. 

Is there many wyverns or is this thé wyvern? It looks so sick and I'd probably run for my dear life if that thing was chasing. 

What's a 1000 minus 7? 

The Hunger is why we need the summoning figurines. 

If we want to charm and train creatures, we'll need to get them before they're infected. Hungry critters will be uncontrollable, probably even for frostweavers.

Yeah not a big fan of the mounts having Hunger effects on them. On the wild creatures it looks good but the horses not so much.

I also think the Hunger effects may not translate well to every creature. On the saber cat and griffon and the boar thing it looks great. But for the Wyvern I think the Original is the best looking and the most menacing. Maybe different shades of Blue, like Darker might work? I dunno, at first I loved the idea of the Hunger effects but now seeing more creatures with it its a bit too much to me I think.

Sorry you don't like them. I plan to destroy them on sight, and suspect they will try doing the same to me.

Ravenous uncontrollable Unicorns confirmed!

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Fantamabulous! Allison and everyone else who participated, your creatures are so great and beautiful, I love them absolutely. I love some even more like the spring Saber tooth, all seasons Pig, every horses and particularly the spring and the 6 fall & winter ones we see at 8:11. I'm delighted every time I see horses IRL and how graceful they are, and I get the same feeling looking at yours!

Take a deep breath. You'll make it. :)

I made it, I'm breathing, thank you very much.  :P

Alison is amazing, been following her career for over ten years now and it's so cool that she's lending her monstrous abilities to this project. I know that the creatures of CF will be gorgeous, intimidating, and anatomically believable in her hands. I've enjoyed every piece I've seen from her so far, and these ones are no exception. The wyvern, it's simply to die for! And I will die for it, many, many times I'm sure. I can safely say that I simultaneously want to be, conquer, and possess the wyvern, so mission accomplished. I want to be a wyvern, riding a wyvern, fighting a wyvern. Oh, that's not quite what you meant? /ragequit [...]

Very well written, I think you found the right words to express why those drawings are exceptional.  :)

I'm wondering how the fight's are going to play out when you are against flying creatures. If melee get's screwed and range has an advantage or such things.

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

I'm wondering how the fight's are going to play out when you are against flying creatures. If melee get's screwed and range has an advantage or such things.

I'm not sure there will be flying monsters we can fight though. It would be awesome but building the system for this this of combat must be really challenging, both time and money consuming. I was under the impression that those creatures would remain on the ground, maybe with some flying animations. Would be nice too I guess! 

Edited by courant101

I'm not sure there will be flying monsters we can fight though. It would be awesome but building the system for this this of combat must be really challenging, both time and money consuming. I was under the impression that those creatures would remain on the ground, maybe with some flying animations. Would be nice too I guess! 

You probably are right, just wrote this because  I came from a thread where people wanted flying mounts ^^ and it was stuck in my head xD

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

You probably are right, just wrote this because  I came from a thread where people wanted flying mounts ^^ and it was stuck in my head xD

Well I'm sure it's possible technically to implement combat vs. flying creatures (would be so epic) and flying mounts. We've seen in a couple of screenshots and in the game footage that they already have Griffons and Crows flying in the sky. So who knows, maybe in some stretch goal we will see that.  :)

Illara, Daughter of Cats, came upon him in a field. She asked him, ‘Why do you toil so? Put down your blade and play with me.’

Malekai, the Spider Lord, came upon him at the river and said to him, ‘This day is long and splendid....’

The Wyvern swept down from the mountain and (1)destroyed the man’s home. She devoured (2)his wife, (3)his last son and his four daughters. She burned his village, (4)clawed up his fields and chased away (5)his neighbors. 

The man was left with only soot and ash and bones.

Through his tears, the mortal said to the Wyvern, ‘What have I done to deserve this?

Ouch.  This sounds like a cautionary tale.  The man clearly spent too much time gaming.

He then (1)defaulted on his mortgage, (2)got divorced, (3)lost custody of his kids, (4)lost his job, and finally (5)lost all his real friends.

So, yeah.  The video game gods are jerks.  Don't be that guy.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

Is it possible to fall in love with a monster that is suppose to kill you? And thank you Crowfall team for getting the creature right! Skyrim was lazy in this and called their Wyverns dragons. I love the design of it!

As the true Mother of Wyverns, I approve of these beautiful works of art!  Truly, you have done my Wyverns a great service to their representation!   :lol:  :wub:

wwsigcrowfall.jpg
                         ~For the Honor and Memory of Ahz Badaxe~

The only problem with the wyvern is that it's chest/head scream boat-hood-carved-ornament.

Boats confirmed stretch goal is all I'm getting at.

Edited by Zomnivore

English transcription of the video, Crowfall: Artist to Artist.

Using the same formatting that courant303 used for standardization

Crowfall: Artist to Artist   11:16   04-21-2015

BG:  Billy Garretsen         AT:  Allison Theus

0:00        [introduction Music]

0:12        BG:  Hi, I’m here with Allison Theus, Senior Concept Artist at ArtCraft Entertainment.  Allison’s been responsible for some of my favorite games of recent, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Tropical Freeze, Darksiders II, and now she’s responsible for coming up with some really cool stuff for Crowfall.  So hi, Allison.

0:32        AT:  Hey, Billy.

0:34        BG:  You were the first artist assigned to Crowfall.  I wonder if you could talk to me a little bit about the early days of creative development.  How did it all begin?

0:45        AT:  So first things first, we decided to do some visualization of the environments.  How is this world going to look with the tech that we wanted to use?  So I probably spent a few weeks to a month figuring out some environment stuff, so we had something to pitch to Voxel Farm to say, can we make it look like this?  After that we got into the lore, and we worked on the map, and then we started getting into the gods, and that’s when Todd and I, we were working back and forth, trying to come up with cool designs for each one that fit in a set, that resonated with the lore, and that was that.

1:27        BG:  Was that a pretty collaborative experience?  Did you get a chance to influence a little bit how Todd was interpreting the story based on the visual feedback that you were giving him?  Like he’d throw an idea your way, you’d respond to it, he’d come back with some new ideas based on that?

1:47        AT:  Oh yeah, for sure.  There was a lot of back and forth.  There was a lot of opportunity for me to present some cool ideas to Todd, and Todd had his ideas as well, and we hashed it out pretty well I think.

2:00        BG:  Well, that’s pretty cool.  Some of my favorite work that I’ve seen you do here, aside from the concepting of the gods and the early character archetypes, are the creatures.  I mean, you just have a way of drawing creatures and developing believable biology, and anatomy behind creatures, and that’s really distinct to your style.  It’s almost like looking through a biology book that dropped in a fantasy world.  So what’s your approach to creature design, specifically? 

2:33        AT:  So I always keep in mind the best creature design for me always has a basis in reality, and one of the things when you’re working on a project is to find where your project falls in the scale between super real-world type animals and super crazy, abstract, fantastic stuff.  So Crowfall has a really good balance, so we start with normal looking animals, and so far I’ve had a lot of freedom to be able to push it towards more abstract sort of monstery type things.  As for where I start, I generally do a couple quick roughs to figure out form and shape and silhouette, figure out what looks coolest, cause no point in doing it if it doesn’t look cool, right?  That’s part of the fun of working with fantasy.  It’s not...you don’t have to make everything a hundred percent believable.  There’s still a very real balance of what’s believable and what’s just straight up cool.

3:34        BG:  Yeah, I guess when something’s grounded, even if just a little bit, all of a sudden it makes it...the suspension of disbelief is a lot easier for the player, right, so they can kind of get into the game.  Out of the creatures that you’ve been working on, do you have a favorite?

3:51        AT:  I think my gryphon is the favorite so far, just cause it’s a six limbed creature, there’s a lot of fun details that I had the opportunity to get lost in, it was a fun design.  It was a chance to do something different, something that was not generic.

4:11        BG:  I almost forgot in discussing the believability in the anatomy, of course we have to consider all those things, because these creatures transform during the course of every campaign.  You’re not even just bound by grounded reality in one state.  You have to start thinking how this creatures going to decay, and how they’re going to be taken over by the Hunger.  I don’t know if you had anything to add about your process there.  What are the things you have to think about?

4:40        AT:  It gets a lot more fun, the more crazy it gets.  So basically for that, I just keep in mind the base forms, so with the hellcat you can kind of see it’s cat related.  Trying to keep some element of the base creature in the final form is a fun challenge.

5:01        BG:  But then you get to go really gnarly with it and exaggerate some forms so the claws become these crazy long spikes, and you’re not taking for granted what all those details mean when you have to pass off a design to someone else.  You’re not leaving things open to interpretation.  You’re not being abstract with some of these details, because they all serve a purpose.  Nothing’s superfluous.  It’s very methodical.  Allison, being that you contributed so much early on to the world building of this game and the early character development, not just the gods and the backstory, but the actual player archetypes and setting the stage there, what’s it like seeing all these other artists, Dave Greco, Marc Simonetti, all these people take those ideas that you’re coming up with and putting their spin on it and further developing those characters?  What does that feel like?

6:01        AT:  It feels pretty awesome.  I mean it’s fascinating to see others’ perceptions of the stuff that you’re putting out.  It’s really interesting to see where a design goes when it’s passed off to other folks. 

6:14        BG:  I definitely can see when you put out a little piece of an idea and let someone else put their spin on it, that idea gets bigger, and then they pass it off to someone else, and then it gets even bigger.  There were details on the Guinecean Duelist that I had to add after seeing Dave’s painting, and then I saw that there were details that Joe Madureira added in his sketch, and then all of a sudden this idea of what the Guinecean Duelist is keeps growing and keeps growing, and by the time we have the final model, it’s going to be something completely different, but probably way better.  The collaboration between artists is so cool when you pass the ball like that. 

6:54        BG:  So we have really cool jobs, and each one of us has gotten here a different way, and I don’t know if you had any tips or advice for anyone aspiring either to become a professional artist or to work in games?

7:12        AT:  Be persistent.  It can be pretty tough.  I won’t sugarcoat things at all.  My entry into the games industry was pretty rough.  Just be persistent, work on your portfolio, know what you want to do, have a passion for it, and try to get to know the other people working in the industry, cause having a network of friends is really, really helpful.

7:37        BG:  I’ll say this...cool talented people love to work with cool talented people.  Don’t burn bridges.  Make a lot of friends, because if something doesn’t work out today, that relationship can continue to grow and lead to something bigger and better in the future.  Allison, it’s been awesome having a little chat with you.  I’m really, really excited to be working on Crowfall with you, and I can’t wait to see what happens next now that we’ve come over the Kickstarter hurdle, and we’re on to the next big challenge.  Keep up the good work.

8:10        AT:  Cool, thanks very much.  You too.

8:15        [bonus Clip: The Guinecean]

8:22        AT:  The Guinecean was kind of a fun thing...

8:24        BG:  Yeah, when did the Guinecean happen?  When was G-Day?

8:28        AT:  It happened when I drew on the whiteboard out of a joke a couple of my guinea pigs, guinea pigs I used to have I should say, with little capes, and helmets, and swords, and they were just adorable things that I put on the board for fun.  And then I drew one more beefy with a battle axe and a cape, and he looked kind of cool, and I just put him in the god lineup just for kicks, and Todd liked it.  He was like, “Hey, that’s cool.  We should maybe have that.”

8:57        BG:  You heard it here.  The Guinecean was a joke, for fun, and he’s turned out to be one of the coolest, most beloved characters already.  It’s super fun to see how many Guinecean loyalists there are already in our community.

9:16        AT:  I’m just thrilled.  I love guinea pigs, and it’s awesome to see them in game.

9:21        BG:  That’s kind of the point, right?  Some of the best ideas happen by accident.  Some of the best ideas—in fact, you can’t plan for ideas like that.  You can’t plan for brilliance.  You just have to let brilliance happen, and it’s cool being in an environment where that can happen.  Especially early on, where nothing is set in stone, you can go in all sorts of directions, and I think, when the Guinecean happened, it also set a tone for the game that said, you know what, we really want to have the sincerity to the world and story of Game of Thrones, but we’re not this dark, depressing Game of Thrones world.  We have silly things happening, because you have to have some color.  You have to have some humor.  It’s a game that still doesn’t take itself serious to the point of not being fun, and oppressing.  I think the Guinecean happening was one of the best moments where it started to click for a lot of people, because I think early on it’s hard to get the tone of a new product, and getting the tone is super important for you.  It helps build the brand, and it helps people understand how far to push the detail in a character, or where the style points go.  So that was cool...when Guinecean happens.  Sometime Guinecean happens!

10:55     AT:  Sometimes it does.