Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
primal

RIP Doc Gonzo

There HAS to be conflict and passion , yes?    IMO the more passion the better the immersion, the better the game.    The grey area is a place where most are uncomfortable, I agree.  Because in that area, they can be challenged, disagreed with , told that their ideas suck.  It's debate w/o restraint of sorts.  And the debate, as you can see, has lasted years.   How great was a game that could cause that kind of passion?   Conflict is a part of life virtual and real and it is dealt with continually.   It is what makes us US.  Defines us.  Helps us decide where we stand and why we stand there and mostly how we will stand up for it.   As long as no real life threats or slurs take place, I think it's healthy.  

I agree.

The nature of this genre of game is such that it causes both. People who are immersed and invested in the game are OBVIOUSLY going to care about winning or losing in certain aspects. I mean, that's where we want the community to be right? Passionate and involved in the mechanics and politics?

So then short of slurs or direct threats, I'm all for arguing and hamming it up to our hearts content. 

I'm going to grow to both hate and love sub-sects of this community. But that's the point. What fun would this game be if I didn't have a few rivals to crash my parties and rek my stuff?

It is what makes us US.  Defines us.

Damn straight.

Everything = The Negative attitude, the superiority complex, the we're better than everyone else, the judgmental nature, the arguments, the upset, the complaints, the problems.  I don't look at all the forums, or read every post here, but that's what I see in my head.  I may be completely off and wrong about this entirely, but that's the image that gets painted.  Thing is I can look beyound the surface layer and see a lovely group of people, problem is not everyone who is new to the community and I assume not everyone from previous communities coming onto this forum understand's each others "eb and flow" or the humor and mannerisms of how they conduct themselves and things can be lost in translation or completely misunderstood.

Yes, SB players are all those things.  People that can not be described as such are all playing WoW.  

To play in a hardcore environment, one must be hardcore.  So yes, we do, at times, look down on people that play those carebear games, but we are also the first to lend a helping hand and aid those new players when they join a game we love.  

I have been a part of the SB community for many years  and I love them all, the creampuffs, the hardcore and the asshats.

Yes, SB players are all those things.  People that can not be described as such are all playing WoW.  

To play in a hardcore environment, one must be hardcore.  So yes, we do, at times, look down on people that play those gonzo games, but we are also the first to lend a helping hand and aid those new players when they join a game we love.  

I have been a part of the SB community for many years  and I love them all, the creampuffs, the hardcore and the asshats.

This^^^^  so much this.   

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

@surbear,

This isn't an SB thing. It's a Crowfall community problem. We don't need to divide ourselves into gonzos and hard core to support Doc. 

I would hope that, regardless of our differences, we ARE one community who will support our own in situations such as these. 

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

I love that asshat isn't censored. Permission to make this the official insult of choice for the CF forums?

I knew that I could get away with using 'asshat' instead of the word I would normally use because JTodd used that word first.

These words of tyrant give me some hope: [emphasis added]

One TOS, one ban is what we will have.  Banned in one, banned in both.  Basically if you demonstrate you can't follow the rules in one place, why should you be trusted in another?   Of course ban = discipline in this context, and not all discipline will be an actual perma-ban.  But I do expect quick learners, there won't be an endless series of testing the limits.  I know the value of a good customer and I know the negative value of a bad (soon to be ex-) customer.

P.S. Kill all you want in-game, I'm all for it, the danger other players represent core to the experience.

so... here's hoping doc

edit: just to clarify some things here, I've never played SB, not even emu.  I've played some FPS PvP, but never a PvP MMO.  consider me one of the gonzos.

Edited by buc0727

@surbear,

This isn't an SB thing. It's a Crowfall community problem. We don't need to divide ourselves into gonzos and hard core to support Doc. 

I would hope that, regardless of our differences, we ARE one community who will support our own in situations such as these. 

I have never said it was an SB thing. I simply responded to the post I quoted.  However, the thread that started this ruckus is in the SB section and the argument that was objectionable to that Doomgrin character was about nothing but SB and some old history thereof.

I agree that we are a new community and over the last few months, we are all coming together.  It took a long time for the carebears to realize that this is going to be a pvp game, but they are coming around.  And the SB community has done a lot to help them do so.  I see us as one voice asking for ACE to reconsider their actions re Doc.

JTodd giveth. Rejoice that our mouths might now slur appropriately.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/208-shadowbane-and-wizard101-odd-bedfellows/?p=2559

The history behind the giving :)

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

To play in a hardcore environment, one must be hardcore.  So yes, we do, at times, look down on people that play those gonzo games, but we are also the first to lend a helping hand and aid those new players when they join a game we love.  

Since I am a part of the EVE Online community and I'm nearly 30 and old enough to know better, I understand that.  I get that, problem is, some people don't.  Also at least for me, it was at first a mentality and attitude that hit me like a brick wall and I adapted to understand it, like being suddenly washed ashore in a new country with a completely different culture with completely different moralities and ethics.  Problem is not everyone is capable of that, not everyone is tolerant of that and as much as you wish this was, this isn't, Shadowbane, nor is it the Shadowbane community, it's a new community with many people with many background and there are people here from other games with other attitudes on what they consider acceptable.

I can adapt, because I want to get along with people.  Unfortunately not everyone is like that and in turn these developers may have a different attitude of what they consider to be appropriate on their forums to the Shadowbane community's forums.  And you have to understand this.

I guess I'm an enigma because I'm neither a "gonzo" or a "PvPer" - I do both.  So I sit here on my fence alone against the world.  I know there are a few other people here from  EVE, but they are mostly bitter vets and bitter vets act differently to both newbros and young players alike.

Edited by Synast

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

Now in GLORIOUS 'HDvisioning60fpsblahg'

I've come from a community that does the whole "forumbane" thing, so it's not alien of a concept at all. We still keep in touch and we would always take the rivalries and bitterness both in-game out onto the forums, but at the same time there were big pack mentality that elicits such a strong sense of bond and brotherhood, 8 factions, one of them had multiple cells of different groups. Game went south with creative differences, won't even bother telling you what it is because it puts a bad taste in my mouth and there's a big reason why it's obscure.

I can certainly relate when a representative goes absent. It's definitely resonant at times. We knew we were in trouble when certain people in our communities were ousted or banned without explanation, but our moderators and CM were absolutely fascist and draconian without reason, so it was very hard to rally when some of the newer blood were brainwashed on the false premises of what the game could've been.

I'm pretty right at home when it comes to this atmosphere, believe me.

I'm certain that ACE or the moderator team must have some good reason? It's a pretty poorly made socksty thing to pull especially if it's a petty attack which it seems to me, there's gotta be another side to the story.

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

Since I am a part of the EVE Online community and I'm nearly 30 and old enough to know better, I understand that.  I get that, problem is, some people don't.  Also at least for me, it was at first a mentality and attitude that hit me like a brick wall and I adapted to understand it, like being suddenly washed ashore in a new country with a completely different culture with completely different moralities and ethics.  Problem is not everyone is capable of that, not everyone is tolerant of that and as much as you wish this was, this isn't, Shadowbane, nor is it the Shadowbane community, it's a new community with many people with many background and there are people here from other games with other attitudes on what they consider acceptable.

I can adapt, because I want to get along with people.  Unfortunately not everyone is like that and in turn these developers may have a different attitude of what they consider to be appropriate on their forums to the Shadowbane community's forums.  And you have to understand this.

I do understand what you are saying, but I reject the entire premise.  Perhaps I am just bad at it, but I have a hard time identifying what games people played from their posts.  I guess what I am asking is:  how do you know someone is a Shadowbaner?  I played for years and I can't tell without looking at their other posts or recognizing their name.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

"He's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight."

This post was paid for by "Mandalore for Emulated CF Community Manager 2032™". 

wiDfyPp.png

The one very single thing that was burnt ( that was for you CT) into our very existence from day 1 was that THIS game is NOT for everyone.      If you read back to Todds welcome to these very forums that same sentiment is echoed many times.  I am going to venture to say that IF the game is not for everyone perhaps the forum and yes the forumfall is not either.  

I do understand this, Synast.  And I agree with you.  I have twice as many years as you do, and I am set in my ways, but not so much that I cant change at all.  

Fact is, I have seen the changes in all the SB players also. The old Ubi forums were like a bunch of junkyard dogs in a wild free for all.  On these forums, those old dogs have become cute little pups.  Of course, I know that when the game opens up, those pups will grow fangs.

I typed my previous messages when I was still emotionally invested and after rereading I realize my speech was disrespectful to ACE : I had no idea of the reasons why they don't communicate any details about the situation nor know anything that could justify my claim about the situation being unfair or how they would be better to explain what happened publicly. They know more than I do about all this and it was presumptuous of me to try to give advice.

The one very single thing that was burnt ( that was for you CT) into our very existence from day 1 was that THIS game is NOT for everyone.      If you read back to Todds welcome to these very forums that same sentiment is echoed many times.  I am going to venture to say that IF the game is not for everyone perhaps the forum and yes the forumfall is not either.  

I fully agree with you, unfortunately the result of that is that it turns people off something before they even knew they would like it.  It's what turned a lot of people away from both Shadowbane and EVE respectively.

Some people in the world know what they like and know what they want, most people don't according to statistics, but statistics are as they are... not a judgement of individuals and kind of the major problem with marketing in general. :P

CCP's solution to the problem was "Be nice to each other outside the game, or we'll ban you."  Which isn't much of a solution as it's an attempt to get more people interested in playing their game and it worked, much to the anger of existing players it seems.   Can't please everyone.

Now in GLORIOUS 'HDvisioning60fpsblahg'

As a newcomer to this community, i cannot say your rantings are a very good representative of ACE. I know nothing of the other guy. I just find it very distasteful to see your assault on him from a game company i have invested in. He may deserve it, but this is not how i would expect a professional to handle it.

I find your conceptions poorly conceived and literally bursting with ineptitude.  Doc might be the enemy (QFT) but I would much rather salt his lands, steal his womenfolk and personally impregnate his favorite dog than allow some nobody to fell him by accident.

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."Obi-Wan Kenobi, referring to the death of Doc Gonzo

Edited by mandalore

This post was paid for by "Mandalore for Emulated CF Community Manager 2032™". 

wiDfyPp.png