Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
primal

RIP Doc Gonzo

@Courant,

While I admire your sentiment, I think you've given credit here to a few people who do not embody positive traits or provide benefit to the forum community. Two in particular, I know, are intent on disrupting any positive vibe and sowing dissent among us. (No, Mal, you aren't guilty.)

Sometimes, the seeming "angels" are really devils in disguise, only clearly revealed to those who know how to see beneath the mask. It's always ugly under there. 

RIP Doc, you weren't a saint, but you were genuine. 

You know saying stuff like that only makes people start pointing fingers at each other.  Not that they already aren't doing that...

The more obvious the situation is and this is what I have worked out (and it seems I've been placed in one of these camps against my will apparently) is that there are two camps, the "freedom of speech, free to be nasty to each other because they enjoy it" camp and the "omg don't hurt me I'm a carebear who hits report button camp".  And everyone is going out of their minds and having a total freak out over it.  

There is also this "RIP Doc" and "We will defend Doc" "this is unfair" and other stuff.  All while Doc we have no idea what his opinion is on the matter, it troubles me somewhat that so far as I'm aware, he has expressed his opinion elsewhere and other people are relaying it.  Now I don't take any information is fact unless I get a first hand account.  Given I have to go back and read a lot of what was posted since I last read the thread, so if he did post, then I am incorrect by facts.  

Here's the fear of one camp:  "freedom of speech, free to be nasty to each other because they enjoy it" camp - their afraid that the forum is going in a direction which makes what they consider fun - not allowed, which upsets them, they want to have fun, they want to play hardcore on forums.  I get that, I understand that,

But I - being someone who is new to this came in, experienced it and how did I respond?  By being the same back?  No, I responded by reacting and by getting offended.  Woopie do.  I didn't even know what Forumbane meant the first time someone said it to me in a private message, I had to figure it out on my own for one.  

After thinking it over for a few days I decided I simply don't care anymore, that's what you're like and I see that trying to change you to my views will only make things suck for you.  That is wrong, I can simply choose not to be antagonistic, but acting like an egocentric white knight only makes me look like a complete unpleasant person.

Here's the fear of the other camp:  "people who represent the developers should be careful about what they write, it can misrepresent the devs and the game because their sense of humor and their opinions/words can be misread as both antagonistic and etc etc etc "reasons" blah blah blah" camp - they simply find the notion of "forumbane" or anything that goes against their opinion, appears antagonistic, anything that is baiting, anything that is "forum drama".  To be wrong.

It's two different communities, two different sets of opinions, very alien to each other and both are just like "attack attack attack" and it always seems the same people are at each others throats and so far all I've seen from one particular group is constant dismissive and nasty comments.

I think the best solution to the problem is to ignore each other.  I also believe that thinking Doc Gonzo is a victim in all this is also equally wrong, what I stated is simply my opinion as to why, if you all think that is wrong, then of course it is wrong in your opinion and you have the right to say it is wrong!

Now if I'll be so bold, I'll start being a complete narcissistic egotist for once and make it all about me.

Indirect attack remarks in my direction because you don't like my opinion.  While I myself refuse to do the same in return.  Do you want me to?  Or do you simply don't like the fact I refuse to?

I want this game to be hardcore, if you want this forum to be hardcore too, what right do I have to say otherwise?

Dump water on here, we'd generate enough steam to propel a train across the internet.  XD

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

Now in GLORIOUS 'HDvisioning60fpsblahg'

There is also this "RIP Doc" and "We will defend Doc" "this is unfair" and other stuff.  All while Doc we have no idea what his opinion is on the matter, it troubles me somewhat that so far as I'm aware, he has expressed his opinion elsewhere and other people are relaying it.  Now I don't take any information is fact unless I get a first hand account.  Given I have to go back and read a lot of what was posted since I last read the thread, so if he did post, then I am incorrect by facts.  

He made a post back on page 25 or 26... I think.  

heyas folks... and cereally, thanks...this whole Thread is just way too much, and what i was trying to avoid by just leaving it all alone and going away quietly

cuz i AM going away, this should be my last CF post... i was NOT planning on typing one out, but after reading this entire Thread, i feel it to be compulsory for me to do so , that i may live up to my own words about "with your shield or on it"....i'm in the "on it" category in this case

that being said...untwist yer panties kiddies, it was a fair gank... i was let go for posting in a "belligerent" manner not in accordance with being a Moderator, perfectly fair, and entirely within the terms laid out when i took the *job*...

i take FULL responsibility for everything i have ever typed and make NO excuses at all...i also have no problems with anyone from ACE involved

their House, their Rules....remember?

now forget about it...and me....and enjoy yerselves....yeah, i'll miss you misanthropic goat fornicaters, but i am old...and long past when i should have retired from competitive Gaming anyway...

to all the padawans who have grown stronger in the Way of the Farce...yer olde Doc sez ...the Dark Side do not let tempt you...with great resolve you stand up against it....this is the means of strength gaining

take care folks...

...:::bows, hand over fist:::..

So you don't have to scroll back through, Synast.

You know saying stuff like that only makes people start pointing fingers at each other.  Not that they already aren't doing that...

The more obvious the situation is and this is what I have worked out (and it seems I've been placed in one of these camps against my will apparently) is that there are two camps, the "freedom of speech, free to be nasty to each other because they enjoy it" camp and the "omg don't hurt me I'm a gonzo who hits report button camp".  And everyone is going out of their minds and having a total freak out over it.  

Here's the fear of one camp:  "freedom of speech, free to be nasty to each other because they enjoy it" camp - their afraid that the forum is going in a direction which makes what they consider fun - not allowed, which upsets them, they want to have fun, they want to play hardcore on forums.  I get that, I understand that,

But I - being someone who is new to this came in, experienced it and how did I respond?  By being the same back?  No, I responded by reacting and by getting offended.  Woopie do.  I didn't even know what Forumbane meant the first time someone said it to me in a private message, I had to figure it out on my own for one.  

After thinking it over for a few days I decided I simply don't care anymore, that's what you're like and I see that trying to change you to my views will only make things suck for you.  That is wrong, I can simply choose not to be antagonistic, but acting like an egocentric white knight only makes me look like a complete British! .

Here's the fear of the other camp:  "people who represent the developers should be careful about what they write, it can misrepresent the devs and the game because their sense of humor and their opinions/words can be misread as both antagonistic and etc etc etc "reasons" blah blah blah" camp - they simply find the notion of "forumbane" or anything that goes against their opinion, appears antagonistic, anything that is baiting, anything that is "forum drama".  To be wrong.

It's two different communities, two different sets of opinions, very alien to each other and both are just like "attack attack attack" and it always seems the same people are at each others throats and so far all I've seen from one particular group is constant dismissive and nasty comments.

I think the best solution to the problem is to ignore each other.  I also believe that thinking Doc Gonzo is a victim in all this is also equally wrong, what I stated is simply my opinion as to why, if you all think that is wrong, then of course it is wrong in your opinion and you have the right to say it is wrong!

Now if I'll be so bold, I'll start being a complete narcissistic egotist for once and make it all about me.

Indirect attack remarks in my direction because you don't like my opinion.  While I myself refuse to do the same in return.  Do you want me to?  Or do you simply don't like the fact I refuse to?

I want this game to be hardcore, if you want this forum to be hardcore too, what right do I have to say otherwise?

Dump water on here, we'd generate enough steam to propel a train across the internet.  XD

I think there are many camps. 

There are people who are easily offended.

There are people who are not easily offended but understand that in 2015 a company must project certain levels of professionalism. 

There are people who want the forum moderated only up to the point of hardcoreness they are comfortable with.

There are people who want the forum completely unmoderated.

And any combination of such things. 

Actually, its really very simple.  I have two accounts on these forums.  I have since day 1.  I wanted two beta accounts.  Now I have two accounts for Alpha.  I just don't post with both.  

LOL!  Thanks for pointing that out. :P

Guess I was wrong, till now I didn't believe that to be the case.  Thanks for enlightening me.  Guess the problem with the accounts is my own personal experience.

I will speak up because y'all deserve it. This post is 100% accurate. There are rules and guidelines that apply to mods and ACE employees that do not apply to the general population. ACE posts are actually moderated and need to be approved before they go public. We do give up the ability to opine and argue, specifically about our mod actions. General rule of thumb is to discuss mod actions with infracting parties in private, fix the problem and move on. This of course is subject to change as the administration sees fit.

Seems to me ACE is following though with the same policy as CCP.  Which is all developers, game masters, community managers and even as far as the moderators when their on their moderator accounts are representatives of the development team and the game and have the responsibility to adhere to their strict rules of conduct, that don't apply to the player base.

Think of the developers and all staff members like the Night's Watch.  Their not allowed to take sides, their opinions can not be sided with any group or individual and they live isolated in the north.  :P

And there are reasons why CCP has that stance, it's because of Band of Brothers.

Is ACE copying CCP's model?  Well it's just a guess... their choices?  Maybe because it's simply easier to sit on an island and let the world exist in chaos on it's own because any interference from them, even on the lowest moderator level where the individual isn't a representative has the risk of being confused as such and in turn create and spread lies and rumors which can damage the game.

Still, I feel that simply stating one's own opinions don't reflect that of the developers is enough honestly.  But it seems that isn't the case anymore.  I won't have an opinion on if it's right or wrong, I don't believe I'm in a position to have a say on the matter in this community.

Why the hell is it that all the busy little trolls have to find the most active thread to poorly made socks in it?

It's always about them. 

We have a situation here that is beyond some peoples comprehension yes, but why they feel they have to come out of their little hidey holes and go straight to a thread where people emotions might be a little off is beyond reckoning.

This is Doc's thread, it's not just all about you.

Please just go make your own threads.

288mqgz.png

@Synast,

I have no disagreement with you about the general tone of the forums. It started bad, it is much better, but there is still a lot of work to be done. We all know that, as we've been in behavior school for a few months now. None of us are perfect models of civility, we can't be because we're flawed humans. All of us. We slip off the high road sometimes, too.

My personal gripe is that the welcoming committee for new members could use some warm fuzzy training. 

I do think, however, that there's a proving of oneself to be done here, if a person wants to be somewhat accepted in the community. Consider it a mini-game of sorts, in which you have to quest to find your place among the smelly hordes.

1st rule: Don't feed the voracious appetites of the various under-bridge dwellers. It's not like they keep their intentions secret, so avoidance is fairly easy. Personally, I enjoy the occasional entertainment when our beloved troglodytes go after one another. 

2nd rule: Post what you feel is important, and be prepared to defend yourself. Expect that some people will impose their own subconscious agendas on your words. Don't even try to reason with people who aren't interested in reason. Again, it's fairly obvious. Refer back to Rule 1.

3rd rule: Ignore the people who try to derail your discussion. Only reply to/quote posts that you want to explore, or feel are relevant to your ideas. Refer back to Rule 1. 

4th rule: Embody the behavior you'd like to see among others, even if it's really, really hard sometimes. Refer back to Rule 1.

5th rule: Pick your battles. Some of us aren't worth your time, prolly myself included. 

I'm sorry that you find this such a difficult community. I do understand. The first days of these forums were a trial by fire for me. I came from a friendly multi-age game community, and I had never encountered the "real" internet in all it's horror. I've been pounded mercilessly here, I've been subject to some ugly and scary pm's too, for comments and topics I thought were mild. What I did was learn from the experiences. I continue to learn how to avoid pitfalls in these forums. People are tricky, and they rarely conform to expectations and aspirations. But the game will be worth the hassle in the end. 

To bring this digression back around to the OP: Doc taught me much of what I just typed. He also slapped me down a time or two to reinforce his lessons. I didn't enjoy the experience, but I did learn. In the end, I'm a more resourceful person. I respect Doc for his guidance. 

Warmest Regards,

Iridian

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

My personal gripe is that the welcoming committee for new members could use some warm fuzzy training.

How do you think this will translate to in-game espiriences?

I fully expect to be ganked on my first in-game day. Actually, I'd be sorely disappointed if nobody attempt to roll me. Do you also advocate for "warm fuzzy training" for that "welcoming committee"?

I fully expect to be ganked on my first in-game day. Actually, I'd be sorely disappointed if nobody attempt to roll me. Do you also advocate for "warm fuzzy training" for that "welcoming committee"?

Thanks for shocking us back to reality.  For a moment I thought I was reading in the KI central forum.  

My welcoming committee was Kickit, Drogenn and CYT.  I figured out what this game was going to be about right quick.  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Nah. I just don't want some potentially awesome forum posters to run away because they felt locked out upon arrival. 

People come to the forums with half-formed concepts of what they're going to encounter, I see no need to add to the processing load by being unfriendly.

I figure hostility is best saved for when we all take out our KoS lists at launch :D (another tidbit of gonzo wisdom)

Edited by Iridian ShadowWeaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

-snip-

For the record and on a personal level - I never had a problem with doc.  I'll make that abundantly clear.

Secondly, I always liked him, for the short period of time I encountered him, he came to my defense once, but also made a point about something to.

Well in game experiences give you the option to place things on your own terms.  You can choose not to be ganked if you're a smooth operator.  I see getting ganked to be one's own fault.  As is posting something other people don't like is my own fault, problem is, I tend to recklessly engage in a fight if I get a bite. :P

I knew someone who got ganked in EVE in his first week because he while salvaging looted something that belonged to someone else still, so he got suspect status, soon as he arrived back at the station, he got ganked coming into dock because he was also equally silly enough not to set up a safe spot to warp to, to instadock while he was suspect flagged.  He wanted to make enough isk in 30 days to buy a PLEX and play for free.  When his trial expired, I never saw him again. :(

That's the one thing I don't like about EVE, the monthly payments force people to farm ISK to play for free and not  everyone can afford a subscription, the option to have a subscription and the pay only once deal Crowfall has I think, although it does deny the developers some much needed money, it does ultimately make it easier on less well off people who are tight on money.  I respect that.

Sorry to go offtopic.  <_<

Easy with the walls of text, MaT might see it as a challenge.

I love that people thought it takes too much time to read all of a potential moderator's posts. I seen obscure opininons in a one page thread buried on page 3 get responded to by devs. Maybe some of you can't read well enough to check the last 50 of someone's post to get a general idea about their personality, but some of us, including the devs, could. There's mods that didn't even write 50 posts by then that got hired with less material (on these forums, not others) to reference.

Let the hate flow. I love how you guys think forum opinions impact playerbases on a large scale. When this game launches, they're going to get ganked and told they're a noob. Until they get LoL on this game and make everyone say "oh, good death, sir. thank you for improving my skills in combat and subsquently taking my stuff. enjoy my loot sir."

I for one am going to repeatedly kill, loot, and destroy the same people until they will remember my ingame name (which will always be a version of my forum name) for at least a decade before moving onto the next.  This is what made SB fun.  This is what will make CF fun.

Don't like it?  Do the same thing to me and mine.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

Until they get LoL on this game and make everyone say "oh, good death, sir. thank you for improving my skills in combat and subsquently taking my stuff. enjoy my loot sir."

Have you been hanging in Wiz again?  I feel as though you have.........................

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Let the hate flow. I love how you guys think forum opinions impact playerbases on a large scale. When this game launches, they're going to get ganked and told they're a noob. Until they get LoL on this game and make everyone say "oh, good death, sir. thank you for improving my skills in combat and subsquently taking my stuff. enjoy my loot sir."

Dear <Insert Name>

Thankyou for choosing Wingspan Delivery Services.

I hope you enjoyed our quick and diligent  delivery, your order of <insert amount> Caldari Navy Inferno Torpedoes.

It is our wish you will choose our services again in the future.

Yours sincerely, 

Wingspan.

:P  yeah, do that in EVE, you get both insulted and additional bounty placed on your head for doing so.  I'm sure if you rub it in the face of people you gank in Crowfall you'll get equal amounts of hate for doing so too.

Maybe to get this back on track a bit.... Straight from the mouth of our departed Doc:  Some early insight into how the game is played.  He will be missed.

doc gonzo, on 10 Jan 2015 - 8:53 PM, said:

ummm...this is not "being attacked"

this is the foreplay of getting to know someone new to us...

unless you smell brimstone and require clerical attention, there has been no attack

glad ta help....

Excelsior!

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mattis

@Synast,

I have no disagreement with you about the general tone of the forums. It started bad, it is much better, but there is still a lot of work to be done. We all know that, as we've been in behavior school for a few months now. None of us are perfect models of civility, we can't be because we're flawed humans. All of us. We slip off the high road sometimes, too.

I do think, however, that there's a proving of oneself to be done here, if a person wants to be somewhat accepted in the community. Consider it a mini-game of sorts, in which you have to quest to find your place among the smelly hordes.

1st rule: Don't feed the voracious appetites of the various under-bridge dwellers. It's not like they keep their intentions secret, so avoidance is fairly easy. Personally, I enjoy the occasional entertainment when our beloved troglodytes go after one another. 

2nd rule: Post what you feel is important, and be prepared to defend yourself. Expect that some people will impose their own subconscious agendas on your words. Don't even try to reason with people who aren't interested in reason. Again, it's fairly obvious. Refer back to Rule 1.

3rd rule: Ignore the people who try to derail your discussion. Only reply to/quote posts that you want to explore, or feel are relevant to your ideas. Refer back to Rule 1. 

4th rule: Embody the behavior you'd like to see among others, even if it's really, really hard sometimes. Refer back to Rule 1.

5th rule: Pick your battles. Some of us aren't worth your time, prolly myself included. 

I'm sorry that you find this such a difficult community. I do understand. The first days of these forums were a trial by fire for me. I came from a friendly multi-age game community, and I had never encountered the "real" internet in all it's horror. I've been pounded mercilessly here, I've been subject to some ugly and scary pm's too, for comments and topics I thought were mild. What I did was learn from the experiences. I continue to learn how to avoid pitfalls in these forums. People are tricky, and they rarely conform to expectations and aspirations. But the game will be worth the hassle in the end. 

To bring this digression back around to the OP: Doc taught me much of what I just typed. He also slapped me down a time or two to reinforce his lessons. I didn't enjoy the experience, but I did learn. In the end, I'm a more resourceful person. I respect Doc for his guidance. 

Warmest Regards,

6th  Understand that the majority of the readers have no reading comprehension, hence off topic rants and such.  Cant tell you how many posts I read and go "where did that come from, are you in the wrong thread??"

Edited by surbear