Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
primal

RIP Doc Gonzo

I'm going to step out of this thread. It's gone on strong but it's degenerating. Original intentions are being diluted, and I find my own self wanting to tr*oll in my own thread (a curse!). I heard the reason doc is gone from the horse's mouth. The mods are right, it's up to doc to post it or Pann... the speculations are all over the place. I just felt like the path of least resistance was taken in ridding him of his forum mod status, when there should of been a bit more consideration with regards for what he did for this community. This was just not a good precedence (in my opinion) to set..Again, it's sad to see a good person on these forums leave from all this.

There's a lot of issues that came from this event, and I don't think it needs rehashing from me here again. I think Pann/ACE need to be more clear on what they expect the forums and game to be. It's very wishy-washy at this point... It's a very uneasy trail right now, and almost like testing the waters all over again on what is and what is not acceptable. This isn't good with forum ban=ban in game. I'm not sure if they're pulling back the reigns to gain more mass appeal or if the original posts/images/etc still stand. If they do, I don't know why I'm getting the feeling things have changed.

iz wut it iz

[bTW there is maybe 2 people on these boards that even know who I played as in SB. So it's not like we're 30 people all banding together to fight the system/other players like we've been a clique for 10+ years strong coming in here to strong arm everyone out of the forums. I find it hilarious and appreciate the enthusiasm though, sherlocks]

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

A mod openly flaming people on an official company forum shows a clear lack of credibility. Even if no abuse occurred, the suspicion will always be there.

I wonder have you actually read the posts Doc made or are you taking what's been written in this topic as confirmation?

I put in bold the only part I agreed with your message. It's doc gonzo thread as you previously stated, I think we should not start accusing people without any evidence nor start rumors on how the game has changed when we got no idea if it's the case of not. If you got reasons to believe the vision has changed, I would like to know about them.

Tully is now working full time on the game, if I'm not wrong, to get Crowfall ready for pre-alpha testing this summer. Pann just arrived and she needs to catch up on all the game design, the content, the ACE policies, the community particularities, etc.

Pann just needs a baptism by fire, like I got when the CF board opened on day 1.

Sure it was a shock, but it made me try to understand the community and it's origins. That particular thread was deleted. The only 2 non SBers left in that thread, was myself and deadsparrow. I wish deadsparrow was around to post these days, he was pretty darned funny.

After a week or two, I understood what Todd Coleman was talking about when he announced that Shadowbaners were passionate. He also stated up front that Carebears needed to grow a thick skin. I had previously come from a PvP game and was very much at home with smack talk, so it wasn't an issue for me.

With trepidation one day, I went to the Shadowbane forum and told them that I would never try to change Todd's vision to revise, what looked to be in essence, Shadowbane 2 (as we called it then).

Yes, I hear people say, "but Shadowbane was a failed game". However, it wasn't the community that failed, it was Todd's inexperience to produce a good working product at the time. 

I never played Shadowbane myself, but after listening to the SBers about how much fun the game was, I began to realize it was actually quite ahead of it's time.

So, here I am, waiting for the fun that an SB hybrid should provide.

In the meantime, I've gathered much respect for the SB community, as they've managed to stay just as passionate now as it was back then.

I would much prefer to deal with a Shadowbaner telling me that they are going to kill, gank, burn my city and whatever else they can think of doing, than these passive/aggressives that have flown in from "other games" trying to backstab and brown nose everywhere.

Doc was no small part in my education. His loss in the community will be hard felt, as the Shadowbaners voices are diminishing from our forum. Leaving us with a largely inexperienced youth, which imo have little sense of humility, respect or a sense of humor.

If they are allowed to override this forum, it will be far more toxic than any Shadowbane forum.

Pann, will have to get good or get got.

288mqgz.png

I don't need to know what happened..

All I care about...

is learning...

why he would always type...

like this...

making it so difficult to understand any point he was trying to make...

It was his style.  No other reason I guess.  Everyone has one.   Example:  Like the monkey mod liked to take intangible things and call them his own.    Same thing.

No aspersions cast on monkeys of course :)

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

The fact that he was posting in the Sb forums, which are there so we can be harsher to each other is stupid. Riot! Time to riot! Grab your pitchforks.

So thats how this happened..

Must say I've noticed topics with negative undertone lately  :rolleyes:

like this one for example;http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/6202-multiple-characters-per-campaign-per-account-should-be-allowed-heres-why/page-12

Never let it get to you like that,don't even respond,just lock it out( and lock those topics without warning)

It's like when someone yells at you for no reason ,the best thing to do is give them the silent treatment.

So thats how this happened..

Must say I've noticed topics with negative undertone lately  :rolleyes:

like this one for example;http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/6202-multiple-characters-per-campaign-per-account-should-be-allowed-heres-why/page-12

Please don't even start lol..... good god. You need to know the full story behind that, and you won't because one of his threads got deleted for a reason. Read his wording compared to mine before you even bias it.

It's also a different matter entirely. Need to do the research or get the full story, which most people don't.

Edited by Lastboy

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

A mod openly flaming people on an official company forum shows a clear lack of credibility. Even if no abuse occurred, the suspicion will always be there.

See here's where creditability goes out the window.  Because this post shows that you're either completely unfamiliar with the Shadowbane section of the boards or you don't have any room for a community other than the one you decide is appropriate.

A long time ago in a pre-kickstarter galaxy far far away the SB section of the boards got specifically set up for forumbaning.  JTodd has mentioned it several times (someone SBish find those quotes - I know you have them bookmarked you heathens (ingame)) and the SB section has been the goto place for the I'm Too Sexy For Your Kneel playerbase since it was added.

Doc was in a thread in the Shadowbane part of the boards where open flaming is their version of hey how's it going. It's a different playstyle than I have so I don't go to that part of the forum cause I know I'll get peeved. But I have no issue with them having that playstyle.  And a mod flaming someone is nothing odd there.  It's part of the play and if you look at most of the mods' post history you'll see that SB rhetoric all over the place.

So your comment is either based on simple ignorance of the rich and *cough* diverse history of SB board wars or you don't think there should be any other playstyle allowed on these boards other than what you think is right.

There's no universally accepted structure of right and wrong that you have access to that the rest of us here don't see.  I can see your point but I don't agree that that level of sanitized mod presence is appropriate for these boards.

Back in the day the dominant approach on the boards was SB forumbane all the time everywhere.  The Raph Koster is on board announcement came and pulled in a slew of SWG/Crafting/Kosterite fans.  The result was the Great Care Bear Wars and when I came the day after they ended I had threads deleted for using the word care_bear and heard the war tales of who had been banned and who had been suspended.  Some folks on these boards still have quotes from the CB Wars in their sigs.  We've come a long way from that level of universal bane-ness and truthfully I've loved the balance the boards have found over the last month.

So now I've given you more info about the SB board and a tiny bit of the history of this forum itself.  If you still insist that that these boards should have mods that don't have opinions then you're aiming for a community environment that is your definition of what is appropriate.  And... (oooh ellipses - kind of a subtle nod there - that's me - subtle) the devs have already included forumbane as part of the mix on these boards.

Did I mention yet in this post that I'm a snowflake?  I'm trying to avoid getting typecast as a SB gankerator simply for hollering about the Docness.

I should also probably mention that I'm refuting some of the more glaring points on this thread simply to keep reality involved in the mix. It's reallllly easy to say how things are supposed to be in a textbook setting but this here ain't no textbook settin'.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

See here's where creditability goes out the window.  Because this post shows that you're either completely unfamiliar with the Shadowbane section of the boards or you don't have any room for a community other than the one you decide is appropriate.

A long time ago in a pre-kickstarter galaxy far far away the SB section of the boards got specifically set up for forumbaning.  JTodd has mentioned it several times (someone SBish find those quotes - I know you have them bookmarked you heathens (ingame)) and the SB section has been the goto place for the I'm Too Sexy For Your Kneel playerbase since it was added.

Doc was in a thread in the Shadowbane part of the boards where open flaming is their version of hey how's it going. It's a different playstyle than I have so I don't go to that part of the forum cause I know I'll get peeved. But I have no issue with them having that playstyle.  And a mod flaming someone is nothing odd there.  It's part of the play and if you look at most of the mods' post history you'll see that SB rhetoric all over the place.

So your comment is either based on simple ignorance of the rich and *cough* diverse history of SB board wars or you don't think there should be any other playstyle allowed on these boards other than what you think is right.

There's no universally accepted structure of right and wrong that you have access to that the rest of us here don't see.  I can see your point but I don't agree that that level of sanitized mod presence is appropriate for these boards.

Back in the day the dominant approach on the boards was SB forumbane all the time everywhere.  The Raph Koster is on board announcement came and pulled in a slew of SWG/Crafting/Kosterite fans.  The result was the Great Care Bear Wars and when I came the day after they ended I had threads deleted for using the word care_bear and heard the war tales of who had been banned and who had been suspended.  Some folks on these boards still have quotes from the CB Wars in their sigs.  We've come a long way from that level of universal bane-ness and truthfully I've loved the balance the boards have found over the last month.

So now I've given you more info about the SB board and a tiny bit of the history of this forum itself.  If you still insist that that these boards should have mods that don't have opinions then you're aiming for a community environment that is your definition of what is appropriate.  And... (oooh ellipses - kind of a subtle nod there - that's me - subtle) the devs have already included forumbane as part of the mix on these boards.

Did I mention yet in this post that I'm a snowflake?  I'm trying to avoid getting typecast as a SB gankerator simply for hollering about the Docness.

I should also probably mention that I'm refuting some of the more glaring points on this thread simply to keep reality involved in the mix. It's reallllly easy to say how things are supposed to be in a textbook setting but this here ain't no textbook settin'.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/327-got-on-our-subforums/ and http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/347-other-games-wheres-a-forum-for-the-game-i-play/?p=5684   early days and Tully's explanation.

Sorry won't copy as a link  you can enter in the browser

Edited by ellie

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Long post, but there are a couple of assumptions that I think need to be clarified. The first one is that Mods were allowed to bicker and argue in the forums as they pleased, even in the SB forums. This is absolutely not the case. If mods did it, they did it at their own risk, knowing full well that it was not the behavior wanted by ACE from its moderators staff. It was not a surprise change when Pann came on board, and as a matter of fact, was a hot point even back in the days of the first Mod who shall not be named. I personally did a write up on what mod behavior should be, and what happens when you do not follow a certain path.

Are all mods the same? No. Are all mods perfect? No. Do we all need training and nudging from time to time? Definitely. Was that nudging, advising or training missing in our staff? No.

That's all I will say on the matter.

It is my duty to cleanse this land of the unworthy. It is my goal to make this world burn. Your tainted flesh shall kindle the flames.

smf_banner_copy4_copy.jpg

Need to do the research or get the full story,

Matters not.
Don't need to know the story behind it to know its way too negative over there for my taste (& it might just be me.)
Poachers that hunt endangered animals probably also have a beautiful story behind it.
But i'm not one to look to the past or future.what matters is how the situation is now..at that place,way too negative imo.

As for Doc,it matters not what he has done,
he's a has always been a great asset to the community with his insights.

Don't need to know the story behind it to know its way too negative over there for my taste

pJLteJC.png

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

Long post, but there are a couple of assumptions that I think need to be clarified. The first one is that Mods were allowed to bicker and argue in the forums as they pleased, even in the SB forums. This is absolutely not the case. If mods did it, they did it at their own risk, knowing full well that it was not the behavior wanted by ACE from its moderators staff. It was not a surprise change when Pann came on board, and as a matter of fact, was a hot point even back in the days of the first Mod who shall not be named. I personally did a write up on what mod behavior should be, and what happens when you do not follow a certain path.

Are all mods the same? No. Are all mods perfect? No. Do we all need training and nudging from time to time? Definitely. Was that nudging, advising or training missing in our staff? No.

That's all I will say on the matter.

Well that should set the record straight.   SB forums did not mean mods got to behave any way they wanted. 

Well that should set the record straight.   SB forums did not mean mods got to behave any way they wanted. 

Record straight.  In honor of Doc   /golfclap.     Feel better?

Still doesn't settle the reason WHY doc is no longer with us.    Could be it was something other than his "belligerent"  posting style.  And we may never know the real reason.   And that's cool .  It's the stuff good stories are made of.  I am sure this will have a chapter of its own in Crowfall history.  

Doc was special.  Something you will never be.  And neither will your socks.

In the end , a pitchfork wasn't even needed.   

Thanks Sinij again.  

Edited by ellie

If you still insist that that these boards should have mods that don't have opinions then you're aiming for a community environment that is your definition of what is appropriate. 

Are you really suggesting that asking for mods to be impartial is some bizarre personal opinion about community management?

I assume one of the key duties of a mod is to keep an eye on controversial topics and ensure they don't get out of hand. If a mod decides to jump into the fray or in this case start a flame war then he can no longer be counted on to be an impartial observer and therefore no longer should have an official badge. At that point all it does is bring in unnecessary attention.

Doc felt the need to jump into way to many dicey topics and by his own admission he didn't mod threads he participated in. If you have a mod who can't effectively monitor a large number of controversial threads then why even have him on the team? All the badge did was make him some sort of VIP to some people which is not what a mod is supposed to be.

The weird thing about this whole topic is that Doc is in no way impeded from continuing to be an outspoken member of the community. He can keep acting the way he always has and will no longer have to worry about policing the same people he likes to debate which is fair to all.

Edited by RolexSweep