Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lykurgus

How far is too far? Micro-transactions

@SencneS (Only because I don't want to quote your well opinionated and thought out book).

On the topic of price point, micro transactions in this era of gaming, isn't quite about the price point, but about the content. Well, at least in my opinion. Skins, weapon packs, new heroes, new maps and so on is, in my opinion, all micro transactions when sold separately. If you were to bundle them together, then it would just be an expansion back and not be bite-sized content. The cost and worth of a piece of content is also a decision made by, how much time, resources and effort did we have to go through into making this a reality. This is not just down to creating a new piece of clothing also, but the technology behind the store, behind uploading the data into everyone's client and in the servers. There's a lot of factors the affect cost aside from just production, but distribution and marketing as well. I know it doesn't seem like that much would be put into that new hat, but there could be a lot more behind the scenes affecting the cost.

Any Dev give away needs depending on if you're a subscriber or not really needs to be taken away and replaced with "how much money have you given us?" 

Evolve and the guys at Turtle Rock Studios I think are doing giveaways great (my wife plays a lot of that game), They do, almost weekly now, Community Challenges. Play X Hunter/Monster and Do the thing 13 jillion times, and you all get a shiny skin for free! For those who participated. I feel that it's a very real option that ACE could do, to promote the community sense and it could be something like "1 million seiges built", causing the community, for a week (or weekend) to focus on and around a certain strategy. Just an idea, since everyone has to buy the game to play and support it and hey, if the challenge isn't met, the free thing could just be put to shop anyway right?

When the group leader is calling targets in a mass battle do you really want to be the guy who paid to have sweet flame effects all over their armour?

Pay2GetRekt

If I'm going to be staring at my dead body most of the time, then I should at least like it!

Micro-transactions alone is a very loose term that may or may not destroy the game. As said mostly in the beggining of this thread, the problem lies in how it is done. If game advantages are sold then we have problems, otherwise, cosmetic and small convenience things are ok, as long as the conveniences do NOT provide speed advantage (on moving or leveling) that players who don't play can't achieve.

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

Sell all the cosmetic fluff items you want. As long as game balance is not effected, and no one gets the ubersuperpowerfulmegaawsomenoobkiller gun just because they could throw tons of money at the screen. Other than that, sell skins, different outfits, perhaps hats, anyone play tf2 here?

When the group leader is calling targets in a mass battle do you really want to be the guy who paid to have sweet flame effects all over their armour?

Pay2GetRekt

When everyone has some sort of costume skin on, you don't really stand out above the rest. Games that have cash shops with cosmetics are always like that. The ones that wear nothing but the ugly base armor are few and far between. People can't resist the ability to customize their look to something they really like.

Edit: Pay 2 Win is bad. This thread is not about Pay 2 Win, since it's already something that's been sworn against already. 

Now this is to gauge the community's thoughts towards micro-transactions. Some believe it is the bane of all modern video games, where others feel quite alright giving their favorite game a few dollars towards something that doesn't affect the actual game, being aesthetic typically.

So I would like to know,

Personalization:

Would you purchase new personalization options for archetypes?
Would you buy new mounts? Non Combat or Combat pets?
What about new voxel packs or skins for new structures to build?

Game play/Account Level:

Would you pay for a new archetype? How much would you think is reasonable? $5? $10?
How about Disciple runes? Or to potentially reverse promotion decision.
How few character slots would you feel comfortable starting with? How much is a slot worth to you?

These are just some ideas that are common among the free-to-play or buy-to-play games, but I was just wondering what people would consider worth their money to support the development of this game, as well as things they would like to avoid. I'll continue to update this thread with things we would like to see available for purchase as well as things we would like to try to avoid seeing.

Personally, everything that I had suggested is something that I would pay for, but that may not be everyone's opinion and I couldn't really think of a 'bad' micro-transaction. Thoughts?

I don't mind micro transactions. I like them. Gaming to me is my hobby. When you have a hobby you tend to invest money into it. I like aesthetic items and mounts. Love weapon skins. Maybe I buy some skins and put them on the market to make some in game gold.

I would not like to pay for an archetype. I think that is pure greed on a companies part to lock a class unless you pay for it. As well as paying for bank/bag slots. I get that some games sell you extra character slots but for me I would never buy one. I tend to have a main and that is about it. Maybe an alt later but I tend to stick to one character.

I made it sound like I spend tons of money in the shops but really I don't. I am an old school gamer so I am use to paying $14.99 a month as it is. So if it is just F2P I will spend my 15 bucks a month. You have to invest in your hobby. Some people like model airplanes, I like my games. I just wish crowfall would come out lol. I have made quite a few game purchases to bide my time. Some I have paid 25 or more and played for an hour recently and hated it hah.