Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Blue is boring

Jihan

I kind of like the idea that everything from the environment to the NPCs go from vibrant and varied to this blue wasteland from the perspective of setting reinforcing the lore/storyline.

I agree with this.  Winter is bland and gross IRL, IMO.  Spring is colorful and vibrant and everything is alive.  Easy to see why they chose what they did.

I kind of like the idea that everything from the environment to the NPCs go from vibrant and varied to this blue wasteland from the perspective of setting reinforcing the lore/storyline.

Yeah I agree, don't really see a problem here at all.

Officer of The BlackHand Order

Good, less people roaming at winter, more mats for me.

On topic though, i'm sure it will look good in the end with all the blood and craters of destruction. "Make winter look like custard rainbows for me" obviously just won't happen.

Welcome the hunger

Todd is Love, Todd is Life.

Winter is coming...

I actually kind of like the idea of things being a bit washed out and monotone in winter. It should look and feel oppressive.

With that said, lets see how things actually play out. Theorhetically, players will be able to wear (and build with?) plenty of other colors in winter.

Without visual identifiers floating over player heads (nameplates, heraldry), should it be possible to actually camouflage your character by wearing appropriate colors?  One of the interesting things I saw in Black Desert was the ability to lay prone as well and belly crawl to  sneak up on your target.  Now add simple camouflage to the equation and this could lead to some emergent behavior in an RPG that is usually reserved for FPS type games. 

Edited by Gilgamer

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

We will need to coat the barren blue landscape with the red blood of our foes, and their colorfully torn cloaks!

Perhaps the inclusion of more blacks and greys to darken things up, and the inclusion of purples that highlight the blue color theme, without adding too much color? Purple does not seem like a color representative of spring or summer, more of fall and winter, as the leaves change and the cold creeps forth.

It seems there will be some hints of other colors, but greatly muted, and tinged sharply with blues and whites. Look at the concept art bordering the forums here on the right. You can see hints of reds, and greens, and oranges in the scheme, but they are all lessened versions of their spring and summer counterparts. Maybe some of that muting of color will make it into the final product for the harsh winter landscapes.

Yea I think it might happen, the arts we see I guess represent well how Crowfall will look like once we're in it. I love the idea that the environment is all white and blue and the only way for players to change that is to participate in the campaign, to build structures, to dye armors, to wear bright-colored cloaks, to light fires, to hurt or kill creatures...

Without visual identifiers floating over player heads (nameplates, heraldry), should it be possible to actually camouflage your character by wearing appropriate colors?

Interesting thought Gilgamer! Perhaps the changing color scheme will dictate what colors some of us choose to wear, during certain seasons.

Without visual identifiers floating over player heads (nameplates, heraldry), should it be possible to actually camouflage your character by wearing appropriate colors?  One of the interesting things I saw in Black Desert was the ability to lay prone as well and belly crawl to  sneak up on your target.  Now add simple camouflage to the equation and this could lead to some emergent behavior in an RPG that is usually reserved for FPS type games. 

Yea, they just need to show nameplates when you actually aim at the characters (like DF did)!

y9tj8G5.png

Why am I boring? :(

Probably because your theme song goes "da ba dee da ba die" over and over.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Taken one at a time, the various Hunger evolutions look amazing.

Taken as a set, there's a dramatic decrease of variation as the seasons progress. By the time winter rolls around, every single critter uses the exact same ice-blue palette.

This is kind of disappointing. Is there any way we can get some more visual variety into the late game monster esthetic?

You know after the latest update and they showed off the Wyvern there was something I couldn't really put my finger on that wasn't sitting well with me. I think all the creatures having the same shade of Blue is what my issue is as well.

The Wyvern to me also doesn't convey the same feeling as the other creatures do as they progress from Summer to Winter versions. All other creatures get more menacing, but the Wyvern I'm sorry to say just looks a bit off to me in full winter mode. I actually like it best in the untouched version.

I Think maybe they could stand to back off on the full Winter mode a little. Maybe just a little less ice and also deeper/darker and varying shades of blue.

Some possible colors to add to the winter/hunger pallete:

0d60fd928cdb1dd90944c60419517f77.jpg

2015-03-01-MICH7552.jpg

ice-cave-myrdalsjokull.jpg

image1a.jpg

Retaining colors from the original animal is a good design decision. Don't forget that there will also be man-made structures populating the landscape, so there will be stone and wood and firelight (which looks absolutely gorgeous on snow imo).

Edited by txteclipse

The Wyvern to me also doesn't convey the same feeling as the other creatures do as they progress from Summer to Winter versions. All other creatures get more menacing, but the Wyvern I'm sorry to say just looks a bit off to me in full winter mode. I actually like it best in the untouched version.

Well it's the most epic frozen dragon I've ever seen, it looks agile and dangerous, all the frozen shards sharp as knives, something we can not only defeat with bows and normal spells.

HjVjwum.png?1

I couldn't agree more. I had this problem way back when we only had the hellcat, zombie and griffin, the winter designs are just boring. Not that the designs aren't cool and Allison is incredibly talented, just that in a game that even they said "needs lots of color and personality to attract a tone" can't have one type of enemy in winter. The idea of the Hunger, great, but having every enemy be bloody, skeletal and covered in blue ice shards, is not fun. Sure it looks nice on a few but the balance isn't there when we have all these diverse animals in spring, then summer, fall and winter, they are all insanely bloody and ice covered. Adding splashes of green or purple or some other color besides blue and red would be nice. Not that I hate the design, I just hate the colors. I just feel like Winter atm will be like fighting a bunch of enemies in a white background that look like they are being seen through 2000 3D glasses.

As a side note, am I the only one that still feels that the progression is too quick? Well, on some designs. The zombie seemed to be a really good transformation timeline, but stuff like the sabercat and boar seem to be progressing very quickly cause by summer, nearly all of their skin has fallen off. Which seems like it would be more of a fall thing. Summer maybe should be more bloody and make them thinner but maybe still not growing weird horns and ice sprouts. I mean, for the hottest season, why is there any ice lol

Persistent Gore.  If anyone has played Dark Souls, Bloodborne, or Dragon Age among others you know what I am talking about.  In those games, as you engage in combat you can get covered in gore(read blood), mostly that of your enemies.  This is applied to the character model through shaders and it persists with your character through cut-scenes and such, though usually your character cleans-up at some point.  I am not suggesting this at all for player characters because I think it would be a bit resource intensive and seeing tons of bloodied PCs would trivialize the impact; however if this same technology was applied so some of the more monstrous NPCs the effect could be quite cool and those blue-ice-crystal protrusions might look a lot more menacing when they're dripping blood.  

The conceptual art for CF indicates they are ok with gore, but the pre-alpha, in-engine footage seems lacking in this regard. I am not sure if they are interested in going the direction of blood spray, blood pools, and persistent gore, but I think it's worth discussing as a community.  Generally I don't have a problem with monochromatic, limited palette,  or even black/white art and I think it can be used to good effect to set a mood and allows you the option to highlight what is important with splashes of color.  There are lots of video games that have done it, and other media as well, notably Frank Miller's work. 

DoomGrin suggested:

"It would be interesting to see the palette start blue at the beginning of winter and everything fading to grays just before the end.  What I would really like to see it the world actually start to crumble away as the end is nigh."

I think this could be used cleverly especially if applied to the whole campaign and not just the mobs.  Imagine the difficulty of identifying friend from foe, if we are all in shades of gray. You could still have touches of color for skin tones, camp fires, and of course blood.  Television and movies often mess with the saturation of certain colors to either add or remove emphasis and there is no reason a video game couldn't do the same.   

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

I like it.  Not just because I'm partial to blue.

If you hop into the middle of a campaign you'll know how far along it is just by judging the color scheme of the area.  You don't need a timer or a UI thing says "1 week left."  If you hop in and see it's blue and all the mobs look scary... it's almost over.

mael4.jpg

Been around the MMO Block...

Sardoni

Blue Ice is kind of expected because we have a Blue looking atmosphere... Ice on Mars would NOT look blue for example..

Now if you're freezing lakes and stuff who the hell says lakes are always blue? What about Greenish tinge or nasty poop brown tinge to ice from dirty water... :)

What a silly thread... You think that blue is boring now... wait until every creature is boss-like in winter and blending in with the icy snow terrain.  I'm sure you'll add some red real quick!

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...