Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please critique my build

Abel

Finally have decided to pull the trigger on a new gaming laptop.  I realize that laptops are not ideal for gaming, but I'm often left with no other option so it's a purchase I feel I need to make.  After a bit of research I decided on a Clevo/Sager from XoticPC.  Below is my starting model and my build.

Sager NP8268-S (Clevo P150SM-A)

15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) 

i7-4810MQ (2.8GHz - 3.8GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache) 

NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 970M (6.0GB) 

16GB DDR3 1600MHz [2x8GB] Kingston HYPER X (CL9) Dual Channel Memory

120GB Samsung 850 EVO Series mSATA SSD

250GB Samsung 850 EVO Series SSD (primary hd)

Comes to under $1900.  Thoughts?  Critiques?  This is not my area of expertise so I really appreciate any help.

Edit:  Sager's 17 inch laptop is actually cheaper on xotic I believe.  How do you guys feel about the larger screen?  Is it worth the extra weight  and bulkiness?  

Edited by Abel

Pretty much looks like a nice gaming laptop. I personally never understood the market for those because are you really going to be playing graphically intensive games on the go? I guess if you go to LAN parties a lot it makes sense.

I think it would be better to spend money on a dedicated gaming desktop and something like a netbook. You're paying for miniaturization of components when you buy a gaming laptop, and it's still not going to be as good as a dedicated desktop. However I rarely do anything away from home except write and browse the web, so your needs may be different.

How confident are you in installing basic hardware like an SSD into a laptop?

I feel like you might of taken a 1300$ bundled sager and juiced it up, but you could get one with a 980M and a lot more RAM for less. The bundling prices make a difference. Also, there is nothing wrong with having a standard 1TB HD for storage and throwing your games/OS on a 250gb SSD.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

The build seems pretty solid. You might want to look into the GTX 970 a bit more, I've heard there are some issues with it currently, I'm not really sure what exactly wrong with it though, so do your own research if you're curious. If you're looking to save money, the SSD hard drive is going to cost a lot, you could always use a secondary standard hard drive for storage. As for the size of the laptop ... I don't have any experience with that, sorry.

Other than that it seems like a good gaming PC. I've got something similar, although a little less powerful and it hasn't really failed me yet.

Have you considered going the route of a mini ITX build, or are like PCs in general completely out of the question? It's not a bad laptop, but at the end of the day it's still a laptop. I couldn't see myself dropping $1900 on that though for sure, maybe not even if it was a 17' inch screen

Have you considered going the route of a mini ITX build, or are like PCs in general completely out of the question? It's not a bad laptop, but at the end of the day it's still a laptop. I couldn't see myself dropping $1900 on that though for sure, maybe not even if it was a 17' inch screen

He mentions in a post above that he/she already has a desktop and wants the laptop for traveling since he/she does that a lot.

C4sIZDW.gif

Hey guys, thanks for the help.  Primal hooked me up with a build that made a lot more sense than my original one and I pulled the trigger.

I'll probably take my first crack at building a desktop within the next year or so.  I'll probably (definitely) need some help with that too when the time comes.  

Hey guys, thanks for the help.  Primal hooked me up with a build that made a lot more sense than my original one and I pulled the trigger.

I'll probably take my first crack at building a desktop within the next year or so.  I'll probably (definitely) need some help with that too when the time comes.  

That guy typically gives bad advice.

That guy typically gives bad advice.

That's a really mean thing coming from you courant. I thought you were better than this?

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

imagine having pm's with yourself.

The same people that colluded were having to sort out the confusion when the switching occurred, it was hilarious. I'm sure it's confusing as custard for people to see past messages on the board unswapped.

1920x1080 Resolution...

NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 970M (6.0GB)

facepalm-captain.png

What a waste of GPU power...  (Yes I know the chip is factory underclocked for laptops so it doesn't melt though the bottom of it)

Edited by Psyctooth
My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

• 2 weeks later...

The choice to go with the GTX 970, I think, was a good one.  It has taken a bit of crap from some people since it is only comparable to the now cheaper GTX780 card but the power consumption on the 970 is about 4 times less than the 780 monster. 

I'd say, for a notebook computer, you have a nice machine.  The $1900 price tag is not a "steel" but is not a bad price for the hardware that you got.

Edited by Eston

Just imagine a smiley after everything I say.  Works out best for us all.