Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your (real) crow stories

Kraahk

Hey folks,

i wondered, if anybody here might have own stories about real crows. Maybe because i have.  B)  If so, feel free to share ...  only the ones without screwdrivers please.  :P  This shall be a nice thread with our lovely :wub: little or bigger stories about crows.

I will take the liberty to give it a start, if you dont mind.

An Introduction

I live (and raised mainly) in an urban enviroment, but at least with some smaller and bigger parks near my actual place. But since my grandparents had a farmyard, i experienced country life already in early years, so i am familiar with the more, lets say practical side of live. Wether this might have been beneficial or  hindering,  i love the thought of respectful interaction within and between species and especially the idea of communication between different ones.

I dont know exactely why i love this communication idea. But i guess it might be, because we need to let go of our human thinking a bit and dive a bit more into the basics of nature, if we want to understand what the hack these funny creatures are doing or maybe even trying to tell us. What would be a good way between humans too, i think. Let go a bit of your thoughts, dive a bit into the other ones and you might much more understand what is going on and how you can contribute to make things better-- or at least function somehow. I know, i am a dreamer. xD

Nevertheless, i like to lay human thoughts into animal behaviour. I know that this kind of humanizing is incorrect, but on the same it is just too much fun. :P

By the way, please excuse any misspellings and the repeating words. My english is not that good, but i will try to do my very best. Corrections are welcome. ;)

The kiosk crow - born to cadge

The first short crow story i remember happened some years ago. I had recently mooved to cologne and on this day had to work in the city, fortunately finding one of the rare free parking bays immediately. Since i had some time left before my next appointment (due to not have to search a parking place for half an hour), i went across the road to one of the many kiosks in cologne (the existence of free parking bays and kiosks is inverse proportional in cologne), bought a coffee and a sandwich and took them back to my car. With open window i rested and let the sun tickle my nose.

I would have forgotten the crow, i had seen on the rooftop of the kiosk, if it hadnt prooved, that it was a professional kiosk crow. Afterwards i realized, that it must had monitored my every move from the start, checking excactely what i bought and where i went. As part of its standardized cadging tactic.

I just had taken a bite of my sandwich and layed it aside to dedicate myself to the coffee, as the crow landet on the top of the car next to mine. I looked at the crow. The crow looked at me. So far so good.

The extraordinary thing was, that it then moved its head towards the sandwich on my dashboard. I looked at my sandwich. Well, surely i just had imagined this only seemingly targeted moove. I looked back at the crow. The crow again looked at me, than made its headmove toward the sandwich. I would have laughed, if i hadnt been to perplexed. So instead i took the sandwich and held it up, kind of trying to ask "do you mean this?" Immediately it started traipsing eagerly. I loved this surprising kind of communication so much, that i couldnt react in any other way, but to break a piece of my sandwich and throw it at the sidewalk.

My sacrifice was collected by the crow immediately and brought back to the roof of the kiosk. And it cadged happily ever after ... even if it never said thank you. *grmbl*

Carey Part 1: The baseball crow - born to catch... not

The first day i met Carey, as i call him today, i was taking a walk with my labrador-german sheperd crossbreed girl in the park. Roundabout five month ago. It had been a hard day at work, so i wasnt in the mood to take a long stroll. The dog ball in the size of a baseball would give her some additional movement and simultaneously me the opportunity to search the very first parkbench to make it my own. Only i didnt forsee Careys ability to boot up my tired brain.

Again afterwards, i came to the thought, that the crows behaviour might have been initiated by the treats i had thrown listlessly to my dog shortly before. But as i only had eyes for the bench, i just forgot about it.  Urge, thy name is rescue, salvation, to say: Parkbench.
Dully i sank down and let my weary limbs hang loose. Except of one. With my last ounce of strength i threw the ball, surprised by the high arc it took- despite all adverse factors.

But not as surprised as about the circumstance, that not one black shadow was hunting the ball, but two. Already hallucinating, i thought, man you ought to reconsider your attitude to work. The dog brought back the ball. I threw it again. And again two shadows were hunting the ball. Had THAT been a crow? I must had forgotten about my drowsiness, for i stood up and began enthusiastically to throw the ball randomly in all directions. Everytime my dog jumped up to catch the ball, while indeed every single time a crow dived down to get it too. Useless to say who won, we two are looking back to a long, long history of training.

We three played this about fifteen minutes. Then we two went on with our trail. My dog possibly proudly thinking about her success and i thinking about this crazy and funny world. What Carey thought, i didnt know. As i didnt know, that i would soon find out what it was in our next meeting.

Edited by Dr. Kraahk

I posted it in another thread already, but here's a c/p of the post:

Here's a little story:

One of the neighbours of my parents found a crow chick while on a hike, that fell into a little stream. Their kids picked it up and brought it home.

They basically raised him. Only a few months later the area was his own personal hood. He stopped giving a custard because he was used to humans. He was allowed to fly around how he wanted.

Here's an article in the local newspaper: http://www.pnp.de/region_und_lokal/stadt_und_landkreis_passau/passau_stadt/1423860_Rabe-Blacky-ist-ein-Star.html (it's in german)

But he was really really annoying. He'd steal your food, your lighters, he'd drink from your glass and so on.

Here's the little cutie stealing my lighter right in front of me:

qtRnzB8.jpg

(I hope the forum scales the picture down)

He started camping cars from people he knew, jumped on your back, chewed on your ear.

It was cute at first, but not for long. The fact that they are kinda smart and can somehow gauge your reaction/mood/whatnot makes them little pricks ;)

He found a lady roughly half a year in and then he only sporadically visited. I was kinda glad tbh :)

I saw a crow attacking a baby sparrow as I was pulling in to work this morning. I tried chasing the crow off, but it just kept circling around. The sparrow was already injured pretty badly, and there wasn't much I could do. As I was walking through the parking lot, I saw the crow chase the sparrow down again, catch it, and carry it off. An unfriendly reminder that nature is rarely adorable.

We've got a murder of crows that roosts in the old growth trees behind my house.  They're very much creatures of habit and show up every day just before sunset, lots of caw caws and wings.

We have a cat, Helena, who thinks that she's the One True Huntress of the Land (she's got a pretty good record of mice/squirrels and a very odd lizard) and she'll spend an hour in the back yard every night at sunset staring at the trees and trying to figure out how to get to the nests.  One day she managed to get pretty close - up a trunk and onto the first crossbranch.  The entire group of crows went silent except for one crow that must have been the warning siren - repeatedly cawing in groups of 3.

The next 5 minutes was organized chaos as these crows did a synchronized attack on Helena to drive her out of the tree. They were insanely skillful, starting on the branches above her and then dropping off to try and peck her, claws out and Helena holding her own but clearly regretting her decision.

They timed it so that 3 of them dropped at once, fought, then flew off and circled back up to take their place in line.  As soon as one group flew away another dropped down. It was nuts. They had her down the tree in 5 minutes, after which she raced around the yard and then suddenly sat and started cleaning one foot as if nothing happened.

Here's the weird thing and I'm still not sure if I saw this right.  I could almost swear that afterwards when everything had settled down into dusky almost darkness, a crow flew by Helena and dropped something.  She trotted up to me all proud and fierce less than a minute later with a plump little mouse clamped firmly in her jaws.  To this day I wonder if the crow dropped the mouse as a sort of pacifying "hey, good try, here's a mouse" kinda thing?  Or did she just find it in the back yard and do her normal I'mma gonna getcha meeeses thing.

Dunno.  But I stay clear of the old growth trees at sunset.  And Helena sits tucked neatly into a lump at night in the back yard but she's never ventured up the trees back there again.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

We've got a murder of crows that roosts in the old growth trees behind my house.  They're very much creatures of habit and show up every day just before sunset, lots of caw caws and wings.

We have a cat, Helena, who thinks that she's the One True Huntress of the Land (she's got a pretty good record of mice/squirrels and a very odd lizard) and she'll spend an hour in the back yard every night at sunset staring at the trees and trying to figure out how to get to the nests.  One day she managed to get pretty close - up a trunk and onto the first crossbranch.  The entire group of crows went silent except for one crow that must have been the warning siren - repeatedly cawing in groups of 3.

The next 5 minutes was organized chaos as these crows did a synchronized attack on Helena to drive her out of the tree. They were insanely skillful, starting on the branches above her and then dropping off to try and peck her, claws out and Helena holding her own but clearly regretting her decision.

They timed it so that 3 of them dropped at once, fought, then flew off and circled back up to take their place in line.  As soon as one group flew away another dropped down. It was nuts. They had her down the tree in 5 minutes, after which she raced around the yard and then suddenly sat and started cleaning one foot as if nothing happened.

Here's the weird thing and I'm still not sure if I saw this right.  I could almost swear that afterwards when everything had settled down into dusky almost darkness, a crow flew by Helena and dropped something.  She trotted up to me all proud and fierce less than a minute later with a plump little mouse clamped firmly in her jaws.  To this day I wonder if the crow dropped the mouse as a sort of pacifying "hey, good try, here's a mouse" kinda thing?  Or did she just find it in the back yard and do her normal I'mma gonna getcha meeeses thing.

Dunno.  But I stay clear of the old growth trees at sunset.  And Helena sits tucked neatly into a lump at night in the back yard but she's never ventured up the trees back there again.

crowmasterrace

1985 GMC S15 Sierra

well in this case i have to classify you as a screwdriver in terms of this thread and your story cant be counted. apologies. B)

Edited by Dr. Kraahk

well in this case i have to classify you as a screwdriver in terms of this thread and your story cant be counted. apologies. B)

Since I have no idea what that means, no apologies are necessary as no offense was taken.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Every year a murder of crows takes up residence in our back yard by the bird feeder. These guys weren't cute, weren't funny, they were bold, and they were MEAN. They chased sparrows and robins out of the tiny bird-boxes, stole and ate their eggs, knocked nests out of trees, snipped bee-hives and hornets nests out of the trees so there were angry stinging things EVERYWHERE.

Animal control couldn't help us, the internet and all it's tricks couldn't help us.

I was helping my friend get her pet store off the ground and was working the register one weekend, talking to her about the crow problem while she cleaned up, when a guy buying a load of live crickets says. "Crows are awful, I ended up getting a falcon just to chase them off. I know it sounds a bit strange, but I think I could help you out."

7am on a saturday this guy pulls up in a texas-sized truck, brings a capped falcon out of the passenger side of his truck, takes the cap off and just launches it into the air. We wait a minute and a half just talking and drinking coffee when one of the crows on the back yard just implodes. I didn't even see the falcon, it was just a sudden explosion of black feathers, and the crow that had been there wasn't there any longer. He holds up his arm, holds a bag under his arm, the falcon lands, drops the dead crow into the bag, and off he goes again.

This time I'm watching, and Ed (the owner of the falcon) is just heyucking it up at my absolute astonishment as the scattered murder slowly trickles back into our yard. I'm looking through the trees, I'm glancing at the sky, this falcon is nowhere to be SEEN, and I'm just looking down at the crows when I see it, a streak of motion, the explosion of feathers, and the falcon landing in a nearby tree with a limp crow in it's talons while it's buddies scatter. Ed holds his arm up, the bag out, the falcon drops it off, goes out again. It took four more crows before the rest of their buddies took off for good, and we didn't see them for roughly two more seasons.

Ed still buys crickets at my friends store, still asks how I'm doing, and every time our back yard gets infested again he'll wander over for coffee and conversation while 'Bullet' takes care of the crow problem.

Edited by Anotherneko

Unfortunately I've never had the blessing of a memorable good or even bad encounter with a crow. I respect wild animals and I would like to think they respect me for respecting them, so I've never been bothered or even attacked once by birds, even during magpie season. But the closest story I actually have had in fact involve a magpie.

My Nan's house has a lot of large plate glass windows for both the front and the back of the upper floor. So when all the curtains are open, birds think they can go ahead and fly right though to the other side (because she keeps them very clean). So occasionally she has had birds hit the window, once when I was visiting a Magpie hit the window so hard it knocked itself out. So, we brought him/her inside and nursed her back to health over a period of a couple of days, then let the bird fly off. Wish I had pictures, but this was when I was 12, so it was before I had a camera phone.  I did have a small camera I got at the Easter Show, but I could never aim with the thing well and had no film in it at the time.   :(

Edited by Psyctooth
My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.