Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anotherneko

Any of ye olde MUD players out there?

I used to play DSL. More than good memories from that game; the guy who introduced it to me is one of my closest friends and I live with him and his wife, who I met on DSL and introduced to him at the annual convention for it.

That MUD still has a lasting impact on my life to this day, even though I haven't played it in ages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

Aardwolf was fun, and the only one I ever played, but after venturing into graphics-based games, it's hard to go back to text. I don't know if MUD games really have much of a future beyond the original nostalgic player base.

Pm4QhLs.png

Arctic MUD wasted away many hours of my life in the past.

It was fairly unique among MUDs I could find. PvP allowed, very few safe areas- only a few Inns and specific special areas were safe rooms, full loot drop on death, complex system of balance and sort of a built in rock-paper-scissors strategy between healers, mages, and bashers.

It was unique among games I have played to this day in that it had both amazingly challenging PvE zones and bosses while also allowing full on PvP anywhere anytime.  Some of the best PvP fights occurred when one clan ambushed another in the middle of a difficult fight.

It's still up and running, but a shadow of it's former self- just not the same experience when there are only 10 other players online, down from days of 200+.

Grew up on Battle for the Midnight Moon. 3 factions, 200 players, SO MUCH FUN.

It had this unique system where when you logged off your character would do things with out you while you were away based on your faction/race/sub-race/alignment/security standings. The map was fairly small, with the three 'Faction Halls' in a tri-force around them and the 'Wilds' beyond those so you always had just enough run-ins with 'Feral' (logged out) players to keep it interesting as you hunted down your billionth boar so you could finally craft the Pig-Ivory Gorrer. Once or twice while you were logged out your toon would wander into a town and kill everyone or die horribly in the attempt to do so. THAT was always interesting.

It also had a 'legacy' system where, at level 500 your character passed away of old age and bequeathed a package with all their belongings to your new level one. Not my favorite feature ever, but some of the eulogies for warriors past would literally make you bawl your eyes out, or laugh your butt off. God I miss the community there... except for you Xadier....

Edited by fawne

Yes, MUDder back to the 1990's. A variety of different ones I can't recall, primarily ChaosMUD (as I posted elsewhere) then The Last Aerie (which I helped run). Loved the days of text gaming. =)  And a good tintin script.

:ph34r: ChaosMUD Icey - Flamey - The Original Falmea   :ph34r:  W101: A few wizards you don't know  :ph34r:

:rolleyes: digital antagonist since 1981 - @mayaREguru  :rolleyes:  

I tried to MUD back in the day, tried to help a friend run his MUD in the early 2000s also, I just couldn't get into it.  I was really into Red Dragon Inn on AOL though.  Which was just basically role playing.  Yeah, I'm one of those types.

Man, those were the days (I now start to show my age) ... a bunch of us at university used to administer an LPMud that was internal only. I spent a decent amount of time on Darker Realms before stepping away from text based goodness.

*Recalls the first time he received his first portable castle from Leo the Archwizard*

Anyway, yeah, TMI, back under my rock I go.

"Proud" owner of the domains : http://www.crowfall2.com and http://www.guinecean.com