Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MOBA style campaigns

I think it would be a good idea to have a MOBA style lane and tower campaign type where the objective is to destroy the core building of the opposing faction's base. Now, I'm not into MOBAs myself but it would be a great way to diversify the community and increase the overall popularity of the game. Existing guilds with large kingdoms would benefit from having the MOBA players come to their lands and pay the taxes required to have a house to display the trophies from their victories and just hang out between matches. Crowfall players who also enjoy MOBAs would benefit from MOBA maps as well, since they wouldn't have to quit the game when they felt like playing a MOBA match.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really hope this game doesn't have an identity crisis like that.  Plenty of good MOBAs to play for when folks want a good MOBA experience.  Crowfall should offer its own experience.

As a MOBA player, League of Legends specifically, NO, please god no!   The reason Crowfall interested me was because it was DIFFERENT than the MOBA genre and the last thing I want ACE is to try and

Before I respond, I just want to say that there is a 0% chance this ever happens (which is a good thing) and I think this would be one of the biggest mistakes Crowfall could make if somehow this came

If the gameplay is fun there's no reason not to diversify to other gameplay types. It wouldn't affect people who only play regular campaigns and would give something else fun to do to players when they don't feel like a regular campaign. Hell, DOTA 1 was originally a Warcraft 3 mod and it turned into the most popular one, going so far as to launch an entirely new genre.

If the gameplay is fun there's no reason not to diversify to other gameplay types. It wouldn't affect people who only play regular campaigns and would give something else fun to do to players when they don't feel like a regular campaign. Hell, DOTA 1 was originally a Warcraft 3 mod and it turned into the most popular one, going so far as to launch an entirely new genre.

I got your point but personally I hope Crowfall does not need to appeal like that to gather some MOBAs folks. Nothing against MOBAs. My wish is this game being revolutionary, kind of a masterpiece art game. In fact, be like MOBAs or Diablo, however in other way: bringing its unique flavor and serving as ideal parameter to its successors.

"fire made flesh"

TCLfZIr.png

✣Wildfire Brotherhood✣

I really can't see the cf concepts being translated into anything even remotely resembling your proposal, nor do I think trying would be a good idea at all. Crowfall should stand on its own merits and not try to become something it is not supposed to be. If they make the game according to the current vision and do it good, there's going to be a very healthy population of players in this, doing something like moba campaigns would only detract focus and resources towards achieving that, aka a complete waste.

Officer of The BlackHand Order

As a MOBA player, League of Legends specifically, NO, please god no!

The reason Crowfall interested me was because it was DIFFERENT than the MOBA genre and the last thing I want ACE is to try and cater to people coming from other genres. The game will stand on it's own and draw in its own crowd by being itself, being different, and using that uniqueness to bring in a player base.

As someone who spent as much on LOL as CrowFall, I'm a BIG supporter of this idea. Way to think outside the box, I love this community.

I wish I had that much money right now to pledge to Crowfall, I'd probably be a Sapphire or Ruby level backer. I like skins too much ._.

Before I respond, I just want to say that there is a 0% chance this ever happens (which is a good thing) and I think this would be one of the biggest mistakes Crowfall could make if somehow this came to pass.  The minute CF starts trying to cater to every niche of gamers, is the minute the game gets off the tracks and begins to crash and burn.  So many people are excited about Crowfall because it offers something that we don't currently have on the MMO scene.  Why compromise this with ideas and content that is already readily available?  If you want to play MOBAS, there are plenty of good options out there for you.  

Edited by Abel

yeah i struggle with the decision to play a MOBA when im playing eve online. i want to do both and it's possible, it'd just be easier if there was a moba mode inside other games.

mobas are so popular, i cant see where the devs go wrong implementing say a moba style dual lane mode for 3v3 players that want to gather resources. better jungle correctly or your opponents get double the iron ore! :P

j6CmSi3.png

yeah i struggle with the decision to play a MOBA when im playing eve online. i want to do both and it's possible, it'd just be easier if there was a moba mode inside other games.

mobas are so popular, i cant see where the devs go wrong implementing say a moba style dual lane mode for 3v3 players that want to gather resources. better jungle correctly or your opponents get double the iron ore! :P

The inherent problem lies with the desired length of time for campaigns to last. The reason why MOBAs are typically so appealing is not just their impermanence, but the length of time required to play. A typical match of League of Legends can last anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour of just game play (not going to include finding a match, champion select, dodges, etc.). Once it's done, it's done, an hour of my time and I can decide if I want to play another or call it a day.

Crowfall's campaigns are going to last 1000x longer at the barest of minimum, and trying to create an emulation of that within the game, with the mechanics they ACE is trying to create, would not only work but be counterproductive! You're asking for a game that is resource collecting intensive, building and crafting, politicking and large community cooperation, all time intensive tasks, to now develop something that takes almost none of those core concepts and build a three lane highway.

I guess if you're talking about an instanced world where it could be set up like lanes or something? Is that what you're getting at? It's feasible with Voxel Tech to iterate but... it's all designed so differently, you're not going to get quite the MOBA feel.

I mean, I can suggest you to play SMITE since that's 3rd person view and is much more action oriented than other MOBAs. There's plenty of them on the market, not enough for sandbox MMOs to shine. It's time to go back to the niche and gain cult statuses, instead of going mainstream and gaining mass appeal. That's how MOBAs started out anyways. If Crowfall breaks this mold, then I promise you there will be Crowfall emulators.

Also

good poorly made socks OP

for posterity.

Edited by Lastgirl~

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

In all seriousness, if you want to play a MOBA that looks and controls like Crowfall come play Smite... But I don't really see any advantage to trying to bastardize crowfalls campaigns to try and make a moba minigame out of it.

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

I think that's the wrong approach to take.

When a specific game or genre becomes super popular, it's perfectly healthy as a game designer to look at them and figure out what makes them work, and use those lessons to inform your own game design. However, simply aping the superficial qualities of a game in an attempt to attract that game's playerbase... well, it hardly ever works. Look at all the failed WoW clones, the failed CoD clones...

Things like the three lanes and the towers in a MOBA are actually just superficial. They're there to create zones of relative danger/safety, they indicate each team's territory on the map, encourage aggressive play and momentum over neutral play, create possibilities to outmanoeuvre your opponent... in other words, they're there to support the core engagements of the game, which are competition, strategy and teamwork, resource gathering/management and character building, etc.

But you don't need lanes or towers or a jungle for that kind of gameplay.

Just making a map that superficially looks like a traditional MOBA map will only create a shallow imitation of an actual MOBA. It might work ok seeing as Crowfall and traditional MOBAs have a lot of similar core engagements, but I doubt it, because Crowfall approaches those core engagements in a different way to a MOBA. The better approach would be to figure out the lessons behind each element of MOBA design and figure out how to apply them to CF.

Edited by 11nephilim

I guess if you're talking about an instanced world where it could be set up like lanes or something? Is that what you're getting at? It's feasible with Voxel Tech to iterate but... it's all designed so differently, you're not going to get quite the MOBA feel.

I mean, I can suggest you to play SMITE since that's 3rd person view and is much more action oriented than other MOBAs. There's plenty of them on the market, not enough for sandbox MMOs to shine. It's time to go back to the niche and gain cult statuses, instead of going mainstream and gaining mass appeal. That's how MOBAs started out anyways. If Crowfall breaks this mold, then I promise you there will be Crowfall emulators.

What I proposed wouldn't take away from what Crowfall's current sandbox MMO gameplay; there's no reason the game couldn't have different features for different people. You seem to be reacting like the addition of a separate game mode would steal the devs' attention away from the sandbox mmo aspect of the game.

Worst case scenario: the MOBA style maps fail to gain traction with the MOBA community. If that happened, those campaigns would be useful as a sort of practice range for PvP tactics, let players get a handle on a class and how to excel at it in an evenly matched scenario before applying those tactics to a larger battle in the regular campaigns. Best case scenario: the MOBA maps become popular and overshadow the sandboxy PvP fights. Then you get to look down on the MOBA map players as the casual foundation stones holding up your hardcore Throne War empire; the current Crowfall player is like an eagle, consider the potential MOBA player like a tree. Trees don't compete for resources with eagles and eagles can build their nests on top of the trees, which hurts neither of them.

Funny you should mention SMITE. It has proven that MOBAs can thrive outside RTS environments, pulling a huge chunk of players who want something more action-oriented than the RTS MMOs. That's another reason the devs should try this out, someone's already proven it can actually work.