Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dual/Quad channel memory

headlight

So, my ancient PC is dual channel memory and can only support up to 8 gigs. It has 4 memory slots though. Am I better off getting 4 x 2gb memory since there's 4 slots, or going 2 x 4gb of RAM since it's dual channel?

2x 4gb is the way to go with dual channel, just make sure you put them in the right ram slots. I learned this lesson the last time I upgraded for wizard101.

Edited by headlight

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

So, my ancient PC is dual channel memory and can only support up to 8 gigs. It has 4 memory slots though. Am I better off getting 4 x 2gb memory since there's 4 slots, or going 2 x 4gb of RAM since it's dual channel?

It should be same, but still go with 2x4gb 

It works exactly as raids 0 on harddisk. Dual channel means if you have 2 rams speed of your 1 ram will double. Quad channel means it will quadruple.

But i dont know if 4x2gb is able to take advantage of this properly. It can be same but you cannot go wrong with 2x4gb

How is it not working?

You're popping them in and it's not recognized at all?

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Does it post at all? Are you able to get into BIOS and see if it's even recognized. I've never jacked will dell mobo's so who knows what kinda weird restrictive crap they could have.

nothing restrictive. I've replaced the video card and the memory so far. I've added memory before this no problem. I couldn't even get to the bios though. I've googled the memory upgrade to death and i'm not the first one to do so with this type of pc. plus, dell tech support agreed that the ram would work as well as most of the research i've seen. Not like I got top of the line crap. just 2 x 4gb DDR 1066 mhz. I didn't go over the mhz recommended just so I wouldn't have this problem. tested every configuration possible for the memory slots. removed the battery to reset the cmos, tried each stick by itself, etc, etc. i put in a trouble ticket to G-skill. I'll see if they think it's not supported or something.

Make sure you let newegg know too over chat. Tell them if g-skill can't figure it out you want a refund. If I had a mobo laying around I'd send you one.

then i'd have to upgrade the power supply and blah blah. i'm just trying to do a few simple upgrades to get me by like the memory, a SSD and probably a quad core processor after that. maybe another video card after that. not looking to do much. the SSD i can take to the next machine.

You just listed everything but a mobo. You just need to save up and get a combo deal. I don't know if there's a microcenter near you but their mobo + processor deals when you pick up in store is basically like getting a free decent mobo.

well each component is like $50, so still cheap. Maybe I'll do that preferred line for New egg eventually. It seems like if you catch the right deals, you end up with a good system on the cheap anyhow. but this memory thing has kinda ticked me off. Probably because I'm trying to put roller skates on a dinosaur.

First question and I know this is stupid to ask, but necessary, you're using a 64-bit processor on a 64-bit+ motherboard bus right?

You can easily figure out the capacity of a motherboard simply by looking up it's info on the board, also if you got surface circuits on the board (visible within the silicon layer) you might be able to tell based purely on looking at the connections and the circuit layout.

Stupidly old article, very out of date, but at the same time rather informative.  But it's the internet and you can always just use google.  But since you're using a DELL motherboard, you might have to do it old school.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/understanding-your-motherboards-bus-system/

Also depending on the CPU you have, you should go for duel RAM or quad RAM set up.  If you're 100% into reducing latency as much as possible and preventing bottle necking.  Which to put down simply is frequency range, the speed in which the CPU sends and calls data on the RAM.  I doubt anyone you decide to go to buy your new components will know this unless they have an IT guy there to talk to.

Edited by Psyctooth
My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

well my OS is 64bit, but I'm unsure if my processor is 64 bit or if the bus is 64 bit. Not sure what that would have to do with the RAM (skimmed your article and it's bookmarked for the longer read later). I'm already running a stick of DDR3 at a higher frequency (10600, crucial memory recommended it, so not sure why I went over the mhz suggested by Dell at that point, I blame crucial) with no motherboard errors. I'll check the specs when I get home, but I'm thinking G-skill might tell me i'm an idiot at some point since it has to be something not supported by my mobo since it freaks out.

It's always something so stupid that you end up facepalming yourself. I've built every PC/Laptop me and my wife have had, and I still have not gotten it right the first time.

I would suggest making bios update, but unless your motherboard has some fancy support tricks for updating bios, it can be very difficult and dangerous.

well i tried to update the bios last night. the support site says the last patch was 2012. my bios says the last update was 2011. I tried the update, but it said i was already running the most current version.

Some types of operating systems (in particular Android) and firmware are directly tied to the hardware of the system (as in stored on a ROM), meaning that it won't allow you to upgrade or update since those updates in the case of firmware and some operating systems are designed for particular types of hardware or newer versions of that hardware.

So that update was obviously made for a different version of that motherboard or was designed for if you happened to have a particular kind of hardware attached to that motherboard (which most of the time is CPU or Storage related problems which the firmware needs updates to fix).  If those circumstances are not there, then it won't let you update it.  The reason for this, is safety.   When you go messing around with the I/O management system, which is the BIOS, you can screw your computer royally if you don't know what you are doing.

My Motherboard is from 2009, believe me when I say this, I am currently saving up to replace my whole system because in a couple of years it won't be adequate for playing the games I'm interested in playing at a playable consistency.

To run modern CPUs and modern RAM sets you'll need to upgrade your Motherboard anyway because companies don't make mid range to high range CPUs for those sockets anymore (least not the , only legacy chip sets, which are no more or less as powerful as what you currently have on board.

Seeing as your motherboard is from the same period it would be either a Socket AM3 (AMD) |  LGA 1156 / Socket H (intel) up to around a LGA 2011/Socket R (Intel).  Seeing as it's a custom board, I'll also assume that unlike commercial boards it won't have a universal plug for a range of processors.

And as you can not update your Bios, it's stored on ROM.

Yeah, you need a new motherboard, simple as that I'm afraid and a new CPU too.

My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.