Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

List of real metal alloys - Will we be getting a complex and fully covered materials list? Would be awesome if we did.

When I first saw the example image of metal combinations a couple of months ago, I decided to go ahead and look them all up.  I discovered they are all in fact real alloys, all with their original names too.

At first I thought Crown Gold was Tumbaga, but I was wrong, firstly Tumbaga uses a difference process to 66% Gold to 33% Copper Ratio of Crown Gold in the game, it uses acid to remove the top layers of copper from the alloy, otherwise it has the same composition as Rose Gold for the most part.

Full list of base alloys can be found here:

I'm sure there might be more out there, but this is a pretty comprehensive list.

Also making different kinds of metals doesn't just involve combining base metals, but also involves the process by which you create a metal and use other materials such as solvents and deoxidizers. And, also the way its cast during the forging process.

Would be kind of cool if this was reflected in the crafting system also.

My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

ACE did mention that the fundamental resources will be wood, metal, and rocks but they also said that there will be different types of wood, metal, and rocks so I'd say it is possible to have these alloys but perhaps it won't be as realistic to the point of magnesium alloys. Perhaps only to the extent of those that are commonly used to strengthen armours such as steel alloy, gold alloy etc. And also MMO games tend to come up with their own kinds of alloys.

Edited by EDM

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

So if they do things according to the alloy list we can use URANIUM and PLUTONIUM.  :o I may not kill you today. But the radiation poisoning will  :P

Heh heh... 

What have I done?  :P

My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

They never suspected the glow wasn't from a buff effect u_u...

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I'd like to see a very complex item system, whereby properties of items are influenced by numerous factors, each of which is influenced by multiple materials. Thus, rather than having "+STR" be merely a factor of the recipe, the amount of "+STR" is influenced by the relative proportions and varying grades of materials used in crafting. This would create a system wherein a temporal or localized scarcity of higher grades of a particular material could be offset, to some degree, by using higher grades of other materials. This might not result in the same final "+STR", but could instead increase the benefits of the item in other, useful ways.

We see far too many games with crafting systems that are simple recipes. mX + nY = Z. How droll. I want to see a system wherein an item requires certain quantities of certain categories of materials, and then the selection of specific materials and their specific grades drives the details of the end result. There could be exactly one "1H Combat Axe" recipe in the entire game, and the multiplicity of material options results in millions of possible "1H Combat Axe" results.

Very cool emergent behaviors could come from this. As a simple example, imagine a "1H Combat Axe" consisted of three materials: A, B, and C. Suppose, as the relative proportion of A and B, compared to C, increases, the per-hit damage of the axe increases. However, as the relative proportion of A and C, compared to B, increases, the weight of the object goes down, making it faster. Further, as the relative proportion of B, compared to A and C, increases, the durability of the item increases. In a scenario where the combat you were involved in favored light travel deep into enemy territory, and rapid positional change, you might want an axe that hit rapidly and is light-weight, without needing to be repaired; thus, you'd want a "1H Combat Axe" that had lots of A and C, with only a moderate amount of B. If, on the other hand, you were in a scenario whether the combat was primarily defensive, you might favor quite a lot of A and B, with little C, as you'll be standing in choke points, trying to strike through the damage reduction of an attacking enemy, and you have a repair forge on-site. Throw in material grades, increase the number of combinations, and increase the number and complexity of item properties, and you can get an extremely involved crafting system that affords tremendous opportunity for custom, situational orders. This system would also drive down the tendency toward best-in-class items, as both "best" and "class" would be extremely situational.

EDIT: Oh, right, why did I post this in this thread. I'd like to see the material/allow system be very organic and driven from the material side to the item side. That is, rather than items requiring materials, I'd like to see materials determine the items. Thus, a complex alloying system would be very beneficial to promoting resource acquisition and crafting as key and critical aspects of the game.

Edited by hamopeche

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

Well, considering the idea of this game is to take 1 recipe (ex: Plate Helm) and be able to make tons of variations of that 1 recipe instead of having 1 recipe for EVERY combination of alloys, essentially voiding the old ones because they're inferior to the new, I think there will be many different alloys to choose from. They've also said that the alloys provide different stats. Thomas once gave the example of "If you're not a centaur but you want to have the speed of one, you would choose materials that would boost your speed stats when crafting armors", or something to that effect. I don't remember which video/interview he said that in, there are so many now o.O

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Take a look at this thread: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/4506-is-it-too-early-to-start-asking-about-crafting-math-questions-on-alloys/

You can make 2-metal or 3-metal alloys. Even if there are only the 5 metals shown in that image, that means 150 different alloys. Since the devs have mentioned there should be multiple metal options at each tier, let's guess 15 different metals- that would give 3600 possible alloys.

That'll be enough to keep crafters busy for a long long time.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

^ Imagine getting to use 3 different alloys in a given sword-crafting sessions. :)

SO MANY POSSIBILITY!

There is rose gold in this game, that is all you'll ever need.

Prepare for shiny pink everythings. Pink knights, pink minotaurs, pink horses, pink spiked adorning walls, pink paladins wearing pink pickelhauben.

It will be glorious.

Constant optimism will not solve your problems,

but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

^ Imagine getting to use 3 different alloys in a given sword-crafting sessions. :)

SO MANY POSSIBILITY!

No need to imagine it:Crowfall_PreAlphaCraftingInterface.jpg

They're showing two different metals being used, and there's still 1 more slot. I think it's safe to assume that this will be possible, although I don't know if all alloy combinations work or not, seeing as I haven't tried it out yet :). I just wonder if using different alloys changes the overall appearance of the blade. In this example it's a Plate Helm, so maybe using gold and iron will result in an unusual coloration? That's what I'm thinking, anyways. I hope so, because if someone's gonna be using rose gold like DFDelta plans to, I expect everything they make to be pink, lol.

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Yeah, sorry... I didn't mean "imagine if that were the case." I was meaning "imagine doing that, because as far as we know, we'll get to use 3 different metals (for example -- not necessarily always 3) in a given recipe for something, and each metal could be an alloy."

Apologies for the ambiguity.

Yeah, sorry... I didn't mean "imagine if that were the case." I was meaning "imagine doing that, because as far as we know, we'll get to use 3 different metals (for example -- not necessarily always 3) in a given recipe for something, and each metal could be an alloy."

Apologies for the ambiguity.

Ah, OK :) Still though, that pic looks great in this forum, so I'm still glad I posted it XD

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg