Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Necromancer Archetype

pal

In almost every other MMO there is a class that deals with raising the dead and etc.

I think Crowfall should have a class like that, but with a catch: It can only raise dead enemies.

In every other MMO i have ever played when you raise zombies or demons, they just kinda come out of the ground and follow you until they die (or until time is up.)

In Crowfall; since its all Pvp the necromancer should only be able to bring back dead enemies to serve him or her.

That sounds kinda OP; but the zombies should be pretty weak and the  dont do much damage at all. They just help overwhelm the enemy. Necromancer should only be able to raise 7 at the most (maybe more or less by promotions and etc.) Oh and when the Necromancer dies, the zombies just fall apart. 

The Necromancer should be a 99% support class with very few offensive spells and very weak offensive spells.

Here are some of my ideas for spells:

• Raise Dead- Raises a dead enemy
  • Blood Sacrifice- Necromancer loses 20 health, his/ her zombies gain 20 health
  • Plauge- Target takes 10  disease damage. If target dies to this, then he is automatically raised as a zombie
  •  Heart of Dark- Zombies gang up on one enemy, if he is killed then the surrounding area is plagued for 15 seconds and enemies withen take disease damage.
  • Cleanse- Target ally loses a debuff (bleed for instance) one of the zombies gain the debuff instead. (Must have 1 zombie out at least.)
  • Guard- Zombies will guard a specific ally.

Well there are some specific spell ideas. (Yes i know they are a bit shallow.) 

The necromancer should be able to tell his zombies to wait. If he moves more than 5 meters away from his zombies then they will come back to him.

The zombies will also spread out in combat and fight more than 1 enemy, unless your only fighting 1 enemy.

Well thats all i got, thanks for your time.

Edited by pal

I thought we are already fighting zombies and thralls. If a necromancer can summon them it would be one heck of an unfair class.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

Personally i hate the idea of pets, having a class based around them would require the pets themselves to do formidable damage to make the class competent at the least.

AI pets that target, constantly follow and attack someone requires no skill or class knowledge and shouldn't even be implemented imo, theres no counterplay to a relentless NPC with its own abilities that it uses on cooldown to slowly whittle you down.

Personally i hate the idea of pets, having a class based around them would require the pets themselves to do formidable damage to make the class competent at the least.

Not necessarily. They would have to do some damage, but there could be strategy involved in it to. It would depend on what types of spells are implented.

Also, they wouldnt have to do much damage because they arnt focused on killing. The focus on these zombies is to overwhelm the enemy.  They dont have to do lots of damage, but they can sure screw things up for the enemy. 

Remember Necromancer is a support class.

Edited by pal

I thought we are already fighting zombies and thralls. If a necromancer can summon them it would be one heck of an unfair class.

Only can summon dead enemies.

AI pets that target, constantly follow and attack someone requires no skill or class knowledge and shouldn't even be implemented imo, theres no counterplay to a relentless NPC with its own abilities that it uses on cooldown to slowly whittle you down.

every class requires its own skillset and benefits from different mindsets. if you cant work around a class thats strength comes from summoned creatures it doesnt have a steady supply of then your issue isnt skill based. its strategy based. 

any boss in any game with a limited supply of minions is most easily beaten by picking off the minions first and then focusing down the big guy. any boss with an infinite amount of minions means you work around them to focus the boss or distract the minions with a tank or something while you focus down the leader. 

typically a mage of any sort is much weaker physically than brute force classes. you have to work around their ranged aoe to deal with them. 

you're also acting like there wouldnt be balancing which is something i just dont get.. 

every class requires its own skillset and benefits from different mindsets. if you cant work around a class thats strength comes from summoned creatures it doesnt have a steady supply of then your issue isnt skill based. its strategy based. 

any boss in any game with a limited supply of minions is most easily beaten by picking off the minions first and then focusing down the big guy. any boss with an infinite amount of minions means you work around them to focus the boss or distract the minions with a tank or something while you focus down the leader. 

typically a mage of any sort is much weaker physically than brute force classes. you have to work around their ranged aoe to deal with them. 

you're also acting like there wouldnt be balancing which is something i just dont get.. 

Not really sure why you're comparing to a scripted PvE scenario, situations are totally different.

my problem with pet classes are they generally have a low skill ceiling as half of the class is computer controlled ai.

in past games pets have never been something related to the word skill, or outplay. maybe me and you have different mentalities but i want crowfall to be heavily skill based and pets dont fit into that scenario unless they really are 100% support based and the damage comes from the player itself.

example of what i mean when i say low skill ceiling pets;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiCng95kJcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9onZBXSaqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=driyyjt14z8              (turrets arent pets but im sure you get the idea)

pet classes in the past have never been done well because its hard to balance essentially constantly re-summonable computer controlled AI that follow the 100% best path to the target.

Especially in crowfall with no dedicated healers, do you think it will be fun to watch a pet class run in circles while pure non support classes get slowly killed by AI?

thats just my opinion on the subject, if they were introduced they'd have to be watched very carefully, but personally i dont hope any pet class ever gets introduced or worked to be a competitive class.

Necromancer that can raise dead players for some time as weaker and slower version of their archetype but also has to possess/control them while leaving his own body vulnerable could be interesting class that could reward being familiar with how to play most of the classes to some extent.

If just sitting behind some guards to safely possess away would be too OP other than just limiting the possession ability or strength of raised bodies there could be stuff like spells that do damage to the possessing "soul" instead of body or possessed body dying prematurely causing damage and the possessed body showing a pointer/line towards the necromancer.

Necromancer that can raise dead players for some time as weaker and slower version of their archetype but also has to possess/control them while leaving his own body vulnerable could be interesting class that could reward being familiar with how to play most of the classes to some extent.

If just sitting behind some guards to safely possess away would be too OP other than just limiting the possession ability or strength of raised bodies there could be stuff like spells that do damage to the possessing "soul" instead of body or possessed body dying prematurely causing damage and the possessed body showing a pointer/line towards the necromancer.

A class or discipline that allows for dead body possession would be pretty rad.  The necromancer could then use some of the signature skills of that dead archtype.  And I don't think it would be OP; just put a short range limit on the possession.  The stats of the 'zombie wouldn't even have to be lowered that much because a few well placed arrows or fireballs would kill the, more than likely squishy, necromancer or force him/her to release the body.

Screen_Shot_2015_09_13_at_3_04_43_PM.png

Check us out here.

In almost every other MMO there is a class that deals with raising the dead and etc.

I think Crowfall should have a class like that, but with a catch: It can only raise dead enemies.

In every other MMO i have ever played when you raise zombies or demons, they just kinda come out of the ground and follow you until they die (or until time is up.)

In Crowfall; since its all Pvp the necromancer should only be able to bring back dead enemies to serve him or her.

That sounds kinda OP; but the zombies should be pretty weak and the  dont do much damage at all. They just help overwhelm the enemy. Necromancer should only be able to raise 7 at the most (maybe more or less by promotions and etc.) Oh and when the Necromancer dies, the zombies just fall apart. 

The Necromancer should be a 99% support class with very few offensive spells and very weak offensive spells.

Here are some of my ideas for spells:

• Raise Dead- Raises a dead enemy
  • Blood Sacrifice- Necromancer loses 20 health, his/ her zombies gain 20 health
  • Plauge- Target takes 10  disease damage. If target dies to this, then he is automatically raised as a zombie
  •  Heart of Dark- Zombies gang up on one enemy, if he is killed then the surrounding area is plagued for 15 seconds and enemies withen take disease damage.
  • Cleanse- Target ally loses a debuff (bleed for instance) one of the zombies gain the debuff instead. (Must have 1 zombie out at least.)
  • Guard- Zombies will guard a specific ally.

Well there are some specific spell ideas. (Yes i know they are a bit shallow.) 

The necromancer should be able to tell his zombies to wait. If he moves more than 5 meters away from his zombies then they will come back to him.

The zombies will also spread out in combat and fight more than 1 enemy, unless your only fighting 1 enemy.

Well thats all i got, thanks for your time.

I think it's a good idea, Pal. I would like a necromancer archtype in this game, not a deathknight too OP, a magic support class look like a mastermind/summoner, weak in melee with very few offensive spells. As you said. Use the dead bodies for raise few undead minions, cast curses/debuff and manipulate the souls/spirits. I imagine a necromancer lord at the head of his own kingdom.

This game would be awesome if a necromancer class is added. I hope so much ! If the dev add this feature, I will be the first to play on this MMO, ha ha !

I like OP's idea, as long as you have to control and support your summons actively, in order to be of any use in a fight.

We already know there will be combat pets, and you don't need to make these all automated with auto cast and the like. The more control you are required to have over them, the more skill is involved and the more complex this playstyle can become.

Try playing Starcraft without micro and you won't last long.

oiPOxr.jpg

Proud Member of KDS -

Recruitment Post - Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

Why does this need to be an archetype? Why can't it be a Frostweaver promotion class, or a caster-only discipline?

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Why does this need to be an archetype? Why can't it be a Frostweaver promotion class, or a caster-only discipline?

I think we should add variety, the frostweaver is a ranged dps. We dont know how they are going to work yet but im guessing its going to have to do with freezing people and slowing them at a distance (although i can see the comparison because death in crowfall=winter and winter=cold/frost.)

Frostweavers would probably be pretty good in groups, maybe even alone.

Necromancers need to be horrible alone, and great in groups.

Why do we need this archetype? As i mentioned above, variety. Thats mostly why we need any archetype. The frostweaver is going to be helping her teamates by freezing key enemies, putting ice spikes through their hearts, helping the offence, possibly defence by not letting anyone pass by without being frozen.

My ideal Necro will bill running with his group, taking adavantage of any enemy that falls and turning them against his own team. Overwhelming them into submisson with a zombie horde in the fray of the battle. Curing his teammates of in ill-debuffs and etc, and being like i mentioned before; a teamplayer.

Basically my answer is:

A cool support class that adds a different dynamic to the game. A complete teamplayer.

I think we should add variety, the frostweaver is a ranged dps. We dont know how they are going to work yet but im guessing its going to have to do with freezing people and slowing them at a distance (although i can see the comparison because death in crowfall=winter and winter=cold/frost.)

Frostweavers would probably be pretty good in groups, maybe even alone.

Necromancers need to be horrible alone, and great in groups.

Why do we need this archetype? As i mentioned above, variety. Thats mostly why we need any archetype. The frostweaver is going to be helping her teamates by freezing key enemies, putting ice spikes through their hearts, helping the offence, possibly defence by not letting anyone pass by without being frozen.

My ideal Necro will bill running with his group, taking adavantage of any enemy that falls and turning them against his own team. Overwhelming them into submisson with a zombie horde in the fray of the battle. Curing his teammates of in ill-debuffs and etc, and being like i mentioned before; a teamplayer.

Basically my answer is:

A cool support class that adds a different dynamic to the game. A complete teamplayer.

I like the entire idea of something like this later in development after a couple of stretch goals. Also The Game as of right now just has TWO Ranged Magic Archetypes, if we just moved everything about magic and made them Disciplines for both of these ranged archetypes, its going to be very difficult to add more unique characters later on. :P

That depends... does the Necromancer have a Scythe? At least a Halberd? Maybe a Grimoire/Tome at least?

Ha...maybe i guess. Could be cool to use a scythe; just would it be reasonable to add a farming tool as a weapon?