Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skytea

Any plans for in game Proximity Voice Chat?

Are there any plans for in game voice chat being implemented? This will make it possible for roleplaying, and countless other interactions with other players because of the ability to communicate on the fly. I feel like without voicechat we are limiting many options we have when encountering strangers (which basically results in kill on sight).

I made a post going more depth about this topic in a similar alpha game's forums which gives many reasons why  in game voice chat is needed for most MMO's to provide a better experience for the players. Here is a link: https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/6564-Let-s-talk-about-Voicechat-and-why-a-built-in-Proximity-Voicechat-system-is-bene/

EDIT: People are getting the wrong idea, here is a good reply that sums it up

People in here are missing the obvious points.

Group voip is unnecessary, absolutely, because we all use 3rd party clients.  Ignore that.

Spammers?  Make muting easy.  Problem solved.

The real question is how the heck are you going to group with rando's in the Dregs in an emergency?  If you're getting chased by enemies and you stumble onto 3 random people, without VoiP they are the enemy, every single time.  With Voip?  Maybe you can get them on your side in time.

This is a scenario which is absolutely 100% not met unless there is proximity voice chat.  You can argue all you want that voip is not feasible, or would be too costly, but I guarantee 212% that voip is necessary to provide this kind of scenario.  So if you're going to say voip is not feasible, acknowledge that you are giving up a major feature in a FFA game.

Edited by skytea

Proximity Voice Chat adds a lot to emergent gameplay among strangers, and adds an added layer of social interaction (mmorpgs are supposed to be about social gameplay right?)

Last I heard it didn't sound like proximity chat was big on their list though but that may just be me reading too far into things. 

I hope they have it though, and obviously for those opposed to it there could always be an off-switch.

It's the year 2015, typing your communications in-game seems a bit antiquated. 

I feel like without voicechat we are limiting many options we have when encountering strangers (which basically results in kill on sight).

While I'm not against the idea, from experience with survival games, voice chat does absolutely nothing in terms of KOS or not.

As most organized guilds/groups run a 3rd party program anyway, doubt it will be high on the to do list.

I'm assuming anyone not waving a guild banner is going to be free game and why CF will be about social gameplay and not running around alone.

It's the year 2015, typing your communications in-game seems a bit antiquated. 

Hardly, subjective. Don't see why you can't have both. There are reasons to type in chat, like you simply don't have a mic or don't want one, or you're deaf.

Or actually, convenience, believe it or not.

Seems more of a budgetary thing as well, what allein said pretty much.

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

I wouldn't mind if we could do this among party members without external software, but I hardly find it exciting.  I don't have any problems with using text, and prefer text in most scenarios that aren't really intense.  Intense scenarios would be things like organized PKing, and braving a really tough zone with a party of friends, but these are things that players would prepare for in various ways, and I don't see finding a voice client (among other things) to be too difficult; a lot of people use voice clients anyways.

Edited by Nain

Proximity voice chat hardly justifies the additional effort needed to implement it properly.

With things like TS, mumble, skype, ventrilo and what-have-you abundantly available I don't see it used enough either.

Besides: With a game whose content can be as vitriolic as Crowfall's at times it would be a nightmare to make sure people properly conduct and don't run around rampantly screaming banworthy slurs - however hillarious that is every time I encountered any lunatic doing so :D

Since Crowfall is going to have VR support I think that voice chat could prove to be extremely useful. After all, communicating via typing isn't necessarily practical for VR players. Due to the nature of VR gaming, it's possible for a player to lose track of where they physically are facing in relation to a stationary keyboard. As such, being able to communicate via an in-game voice chat solves that problem, while being an intuitive way to communicate anyway. Certainly, while much remains unknown about Crowfall as potentially the world's first VRMMORPG, the advantages offered by voice chat is one well worth considering.

Edited by Kintor

Hardly, subjective. Don't see why you can't have both. There are reasons to type in chat, like you simply don't have a mic or don't want one, or you're deaf.

Or actually, convenience, believe it or not.

Seems more of a budgetary thing as well, what allein said pretty much.

Well obviously they would have both.  They wouldn't completely eliminate the ability to type to each other in game. 

I don't really buy the budgetary argument as we've seen some very initially low budget survival games implement it. 

to be honest - it could work out if it is implemented really well. For example only communicate with group, guild members or free for all communication by choice (chat command like /pvc - party voice chat, /gvc - guild voice chat, /svc - general voice chat aka shouting)

My greatest fear is a COD like conversation about who banged someone else's mother or w.e. or just raging people because someone looted their precious kickstarter horse and I have to bear their nonsense. 

Both system got a valid reason to be implemented, however I guess the third party programs will also have their place if the ingame voice chat is not done well. 

Edited by Thyr

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

Official answer to this was: text based communication  only right now. But Voice is  not off the table.

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

I proposed a topic awhile back about this that got a lot of good discussion going.

I will say though that figuring out voip is somewhere in the future of gaming.  I refuse to accept that 3D goggles are the future of gaming, but talking to people isn't.

Maybe we still aren't ready to meet the challenges that voip creates.  But I can assure you, the advantages it brings need to happen eventually.

To quote myself, here's the big challenge of not including voip:

Answer this question, naysayers - how do you plan to let people know you are non-hostile when you run into them in the wild in the Dregs?  If you end up in the middle of a pre-formed group, what will you do to let people know you want to work together?

Type a message? What happens if in that time they just attack you?

Some kind of emote/jump?  Well then they have to type back, which wastes their time/leaves them vulnerable.

And what if they really want you to help?  What then?  They send a message with their 3rd party voip info, which you can hopefully alt-tab and load up (god forbid it's one you don't have installed/set up) before you all end up in another dangerous situation.

Before DayZ implemented VoIP, shoot-on-sight was essentially the rule, because it wasn't safe to work things out any other way.

Yes. I want to be able to run around campaigns blasting Rush Limbaugh over my mic for all to hear the propaganda.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Friendly

Friendly

*bang*

Idiot

I watch Trick2G play H1Z1 soemtimes and he does this all the damn time. "You, you wanna group?" "I'm talking to you" "Let's stick together" *bang bang*

On topic however, I've never played a game with proximity chat, so I can't really say one way or the other, the idea is cool and could add nice layer to the community, but not having it wouldn't detract from the game at all.

Edited by Lykurgus

Anytime i see this suggestion i wonder if the poster has even played an online game before. Sorry but no sane person who has played online can honestly think in game voice chat is a good idea in a PvP based game.

Sure you don't want to hear my rush limbaugh recordings or some neckbeard furiously masturbating over voip in game? It makes you feel immersed.

Edited by headlight

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

After a few games with it, I can honestly say that it brings very very little to the table.

Typed chat can cover that tiny part easy.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

People say day z proves voice is worthless. But those are straw man arguments. some people are a holes. That's true with our without voice.

Voice allows you to continue to control your character while communicating. That is it. Anything else is true regarding text or voice. Harassment, cooperation, lying, those work just as well in text or voice.

The real question is: does allowing people use voice immediately (guilds will have this ability thru 3rd party programs) outweigh the costs. I honestly doubt it has a very high cost in server load or development (I would be surprised if a plug and play solution wasn't already available for relatively cheap).