Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skytea

Any plans for in game Proximity Voice Chat?

Any guild worth a damn will have its members always in ts3 while in game. 

When will people figure out in this thread that proximity voice isn't intended to be heavily used between guild members?

Oh, I guess we missed the part where you had surveyed the entire population of MMO gamers planning to play Crowfall and became the expert on what most people wanted.

And you did?

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

And you did?

For what it's worth there have already been many compelling arguments made in this thread as to why integrated voice chat will bring substantial benefit to Crowfall. So, for anyone to claim that no one wants voice chats is simply incorrect, when this thread already shows proven demand voice chat. It's time for MMOs to stop lagging behind other genres, when even low-budget survival games are able to get voice chat right it's time for MMORPGs to do the same.

For what it's worth there have already been many compelling arguments made in this thread as to why integrated voice chat will bring substantial benefit to Crowfall. So, for anyone to claim that no one wants voice chats is simply incorrect, when this thread already shows proven demand voice chat. It's time for MMOs to stop lagging behind other genres, when even low-budget survival games are able to get voice chat right it's time for MMORPGs to do the same.

Your copy and paste replies have gotten old enough in the VR thread. I figured if you ventured out, you'd try something original instead of just replacing VR with voice chat.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Your copy and paste replies have gotten old enough in the VR thread. I figured if you ventured out, you'd try something original instead of just replacing VR with voice chat.

So then, it seems you’re unable to come-up with any argument to refute the demand for voice chat in Crowfall. You'd rather pretend that the last ten pages of this thread never happened, instead of conceding that there are people who want to see integrated voice chat.

So then, it seems you’re unable to come-up with any argument to refute the demand for voice chat in Crowfall. You'd rather pretend that the last ten pages of this thread never happened, instead of conceding that there are people who want to see integrated voice chat.

There are people that want it, people that don't, people that don't care either way, and then their is what ACE wants and will/can do. Common sense when it comes to pretty much any hot topic.

If VOIP was as easy as snapping their fingers and making it happen, didn't cost a thing, had zero impact on performance, and was easy to disable/manage on our end, I'd say go for it. There are way too many variables and lack of context to know if or how it would work.

Like VR, I'd assume that if ACE thinks it would be within reason to make it a stretch goal or simply add it into the core game with the funding they have, they would and could still.

Until then, I don't care personally. Crowfall will have a lot of organized players using 3rd party programs regardless if there is VOIP or not. Those that want it to chat/communicate with random folks would obviously benefit from it, but it isn't "needed" for the game to function.

Even though we've given ACE money for funding, we don't have the right to dictate what they game will have or not. There shouldn't be any doubt that they've discussed it at least a little already.

There are people that want it, people that don't, people that don't care either way, and then their is what ACE wants and will/can do. Common sense when it comes to pretty much any hot topic.

If VOIP was as easy as snapping their fingers and making it happen, didn't cost a thing, had zero impact on performance, and was easy to disable/manage on our end, I'd say go for it. There are way too many variables and lack of context to know if or how it would work.

Like VR, I'd assume that if ACE thinks it would be within reason to make it a stretch goal or simply add it into the core game with the funding they have, they would and could still.

Until then, I don't care personally. Crowfall will have a lot of organized players using 3rd party programs regardless if there is VOIP or not. Those that want it to chat/communicate with random folks would obviously benefit from it, but it isn't "needed" for the game to function.

Even though we've given ACE money for funding, we don't have the right to dictate what they game will have or not. There shouldn't be any doubt that they've discussed it at least a little already.

Nobody here in favour of integrated voice chat is making demands for ACE. With that said, I think that you're concerns about cost are entirely unfounded; all features will cost money to implement but that's no reason to stop talking about the idea, especially since voice chat is already a proven technology. In this sense there is a really need to consider the value of that voice chat can provide. I personally think it's wrong to assume that guilds should be forced to rely on random third-party programs, instead of providing an intuitive system that all players can use. After all, communication between players won't always take place as part of guild, or even within the same guild for that matter. Ensuring that both individual players and each guild has access to the same standardised voice chat system will do wonders for helping the Crowfall community establish itself.

and what impact would it have with us not having it? The ones stated before are just absurd.

You should take the time to carefully consider the arguments as to why integrated voice chat is a welcome addition to Crowfall. Don't underestimate the value of good communication; having voice chat will greatly reduce the rate of unnecessary violence among random players who first encounter one another in the field. In other words, voice chat will make Crowfall's campaigns less petty.

Nobody here in favour of integrated voice chat is making demands for ACE. With that said, I think that you're concerns about cost are entirely unfounded; all features will cost money to implement but that's no reason to stop talking about the idea, especially since voice chat is already a proven technology. In this sense there is a really need to consider the value of that voice chat can provide. I personally think it's wrong to assume that guilds should be forced to rely on random third-party programs, instead of providing an intuitive system that all players can use. After all, communication between players won't always take place as part of guild, or even within the same guild for that matter. Ensuring that both individual players and each guild has access to the same standardised voice chat system will do wonders for helping the Crowfall community establish itself.

I don't disagree that in-house VOIP could benefit all to some degree, regardless if some turn it off or use 3rd party programs. Simply isn't "needed" at least not without some context.

I also don't have a ton of experience with built-in voice chat for mmos. FPS/Console and other genres, sure, but not so much mmos. I believe WoW has it and it isn't pretty nor used, So can't speak on it being a "proven tech" within this type of game. Works decently in PS2, but usually don't have 20-50+ folks all together either. Back in my "hardcore" raiding days, probably one of the hardest tasks for those in charge was getting 40-70+ people to shut up and listen. While I'm sure ACE could figure out some sort of control system, most 3rd party programs make it rather easy to silence everyone, which is why even when a game offers VOIP, many guilds/clans use 3rd party.

No one is being "forced" to do anything, they are simply lacking an option and have to fill a need for themselves, nothing new.

As much good that I've experience from in-game voice, I've had just as much annoyance so it's a wash for me. This is mainly playing from an individual stand point. Organized wise, I'd much prefer something that can be completely controlled by those that need to. Not hope the 200 people in my alliance all have their act together at the exact moment needed.

You are right that all features cost money/time, but the extent of which is unknown to me. If Blizzard can't get it right with their bottomless piggy bank, not sure ACE will have the power to (no offence team). I'd assume it is much easier to build when it is 5vs5, 30vs30 or whatever a FPS/MOBA/Lobby might have, not so much in a mmo.

At the end of the day, text will always be there.

You should take the time to carefully consider the arguments as to why integrated voice chat is a welcome addition to Crowfall. Don't underestimate the value of good communication; having voice chat will greatly reduce the rate of unnecessary violence among random players who first encounter one another in the field. In other words, voice chat will make Crowfall's campaigns less petty.

Do you have any proof to back up this claim? Sounds nice, but I've never seen this to be true in any of my time in survival games. If someone plans to kill/attack someone else, the form of communication rarely seems to matter. "Hey I'm a nice guy!" doesn't stop someone that wants to randomly attack someone from doing so.

To me this is why playing solo, unguilded, or whatever else will make CF much harder.

Random meeting random, any form of chat will be about the same unless someone can hear the good/bad in someone's voice...they seem honest...turns around...stab.

Anyone part of a guild/alliance will instantly have a list of friends and enemies, cutting down the unknown factor. If a guilded person runs up to a random, they are then representing their guild. Random attacks guilded, they now made enemies with who knows how many. Guilded attacks random, potentially made a future enemy with who know how many.

No doubt there will be random acts of violence, but this is an mmo, not some 5 min - 1 hour experience where you log off, change servers/names and go about your business. Voice chat wouldn't hurt, but I think simply by design, it isn't as beneficial as other types of games and in my experience that is mainly with predetermined teams. PS2 for example, talking to same side is nice, talking with enemy is not a must have feature. Since CF will have faction based campaigns, could come in handy there, but putting time/money into a system that might potentially only benefit a small portion of the crowd might not justify it.

You are right that all features cost money/time, but the extent of which is unknown to me. If Blizzard can't get it right with their bottomless piggy bank, not sure ACE will have the power to (no offence team). I'd assume it is much easier to build when it is 5vs5, 30vs30 or whatever a FPS/MOBA/Lobby might have, not so much in a mmo.

At the end of the day, text will always be there.

Your reasoning is flawed, just because Blizzard hasn't seen fit to implement voice chat doesn't mean they can't do so with their vast resources. When it comes to WOW Blizzard will only implement innovations long-after they've become standard in other MMORPGs; this is because Blizzard is content to exploit the remaining users of their stagnant game, hardly an example worth following. Instead, ACE should continue to display the level of ambitious that has already made Crowfall famous, by including innovative gameplay mechanics to at last move the MMORPG genre forward. To that end, one such innovation worth including is voice chat, as way to further improve the level of communication within the game. Because text won't always be there, especially when players are faced with the choice of controlling their character or saying something in text; integrated voice chat for all players is the smart and efficient decision to make.

Any guild worth a damn will have its members always in ts3 while in game.

Gawd, when are the fustilarians gonna figure out this is not what it is about at all, not even the slightest focking bit... People really are painfully slow..

Member of The BlackHand Order

In my day we had one word to solve this problem....

Telegraph

Nothing like raiding and having to answer in dot..dot...dash...dot..

old school playing baby!

OS_Sig3.png

Your reasoning is flawed, just because Blizzard hasn't seen fit to implement voice chat doesn't mean they can't do so with their vast resources. When it comes to WOW Blizzard will only implement innovations long-after they've become standard in other MMORPGs; this is because Blizzard is content to exploit the remaining users of their stagnant game, hardly an example worth following. Instead, ACE should continue to display the level of ambitious that has already made Crowfall famous, by including innovative gameplay mechanics to at last move the MMORPG genre forward. To that end, one such innovation worth including is voice chat, as way to further improve the level of communication within the game. Because text won't always be there, especially when players are faced with the choice of controlling their character or saying something in text; integrated voice chat for all players is the smart and efficient decision to make.

Actually they DID try it in WoW. The quality was never at the level of already existing 3rd party VOIP. Because of that and again it just not being a very wanted and used feature was later removed from the game.

EDIT: Just did a quick google search and apparently WoW still has VOIP, who knew lol, but point stands no one outside a vast minority actually use it.

Edited by pang