Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skytea

Any plans for in game Proximity Voice Chat?

No thanks to the in-game voice.

I'd rather not have people chasing me around playing the Mortal Kombat theme song with their voice chat button down or have to listen to whiny little kids screaming racial slurs.

Had enough of that in Rust and RoK...

kuZFoIM.png

Your analogy isn't the one I would have selected. Instead, try "Just because we could kill people with stick and rocks, we should NEVER have invented the gun?" To which, it could be argued, the answer should be yes.

Because of the amount of griefing and unwanted interaction that PVC (not polyvinylchloride, apparently) opens players up to, it is more apt to use a weapon as your analogy. Does this have any effect on your opinion if viewed this way?

I don't think that's relevant because if you hate PVC and do not want to use it you can just go in your options menu and disable it (I don't think anyone here is advocating to force anyone into using it).

Also on that, people can and will harass you just as much over text or chat, so I don't really see the difference. To answer your analogy about weapons, the problem is always the person holding the weapon, not the weapon itself. If you arm an ahole with sticks and rocks he will try to harm and kill as many people as he would have with a gun.

So saying that not having PVC will solve the issues of people getting harassed by aholes does not work, as aholes will harass and grief no matter what the game lets them use as a communication medium.

Limiting ourselves because of a few bad seeds that will get reported and banned pretty swiftly is not a reason to not make Crowfall better.

Oh, I didn't say it would solve it. Not even close.

Text chat can be funneled as well. You only have to see what you want to see.

But that isn't the point, is it? You go through the effort and financial cost to integrate something like this into the game, then the only people that can use it are the jerks. Everyone else shuts it down to avoid them. That seems like a good use of funds, doesn't it?

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

But that isn't the point, is it? You go through the effort and financial cost to integrate something like this into the game, then the only people that can use it are the jerks. Everyone else shuts it down to avoid them. That seems like a good use of funds, doesn't it?

Players will be able to communicate with integrated voice chat just fine, even if anyone attempts to abuse the system. As has already been explained multiple times in this thread, anyone stupid enough to abuse the system will find themselves socially isolated and thus unable to progress within the game. In this manner legitimate players can use voice chat to strengthen the Crowfall community as a whole, while anyone abusing the system won't get the attention they crave.

Players will be able to communicate with integrated voice chat just fine, even if anyone attempts to abuse the system. As has already been explained multiple times in this thread, anyone stupid enough to abuse the system will find themselves socially isolated and thus unable to progress within the game. In this manner legitimate players can use voice chat to strengthen the Crowfall community as a whole, while anyone abusing the system won't get the attention they crave.

Yep, just like in the VR thread you're just troIIing now, confirmed. Thinking griefers and spammers will some how be shunned and not able to progress in the game is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in this forum. Thats saying a lot there been some really crazy crap said around here.

That's a rather large assumption on your part. As seen in this thread a lot of people claimed they will use it and are not "greifers", so there goes your "everyone using it will be a greifer statement...

While no one can say who is going to use it for Crowfall, if you hop on Dayz everyone uses it bar a few and I have met a lot more genuine people that interact and role play than I have met "trolls" that abuse a soundboard. This should replicate in Crowfall.

No, you misunderstand. The people here that want to use it for normal purposes will be annoyed by the griefers. They will attempt to use it, it will get to the point of frustration, and they will turn it off.

Yes, it's an assumption, but one based on quite a bit of experience.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

No, you misunderstand. The people here that want to use it for normal purposes will be annoyed by the griefers. They will attempt to use it, it will get to the point of frustration, and they will turn it off.

Once all players are given integrated voice chat they won't be turning it off. Internet communities have had to deal with abusive users even from the earliest days of message boards. However, that doesn't mean new technology should be shunned just because a handful of people want to abuse the system at the expense of others. Rather, voice chat will provide a new way for the Crowfall community to triumph against such abuses, when all those seeking to abuse the system are themselves socially isolated and rendered powerless.

Edited by Kintor

I can agree that it could happen, although in my admittedly limited experience, if a few individuals are an issue I just end up putting them on a ignore/kos list. Problem solved. I can go on to have fun with the rest of the community.

I think that between reporting them and the option to mute/ignore players there shouldn't be a problem (as ignored players should be muted by default).

Edit: ignores also should be on the account level, therefore if I ignore one characters I automatically ignore his entire account.

Edited by Argasoth

Once all players are given integrated voice chat they won't be turning it off.

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christia

Why are you speaking in absolutes? All? Not everyone is able to hear well, not everyone's going to want to use it either. Some people just prefer text just because. The way you argue your logic out... it's like you'd support napalm(ig proximity voice chat) being dropped just to smoke out vietcong(abusers), even if it kills children(third party VOIP users, chat based users) in the process.

Still not gonna get that vietcong. There's more children too.

Kintor, what are you doing? Just stahp.

In the future, ALL people will be drinking food from a straw, talking in proximity chat, using VR to play games with their eyeballs controlling their avatar while sitting in a hoverchair. ALL people. ALL 7+ billion people with different issues, gender and disabilities. NO exceptions. The future is NOW.

That's your logic, seriously. If you can't see it, then go re-evaluate your life or something, read a book. Expectation vs Reality is a playing a huge battle in your head.

If the Crowfall developers put it in later as a fluff feature, great! But ALL players are going to use it? NO! So it's not going to be a priority compared to like say idk... Combat.

It's a waste of resources to try and do ingame voice leave it to TS3 and Ventirlo most guilds have one anyways.

This. As a few others have been saying.

When I put it like that, it's just flavor. Are ALL players going to deal with combat in some form? You custard betcha, what are you, dense? It's a PVP game after all. Don't even try to debate that.

Great example is they use Curse Voice for SMITE, I don't use it at all and use a VGS system and I have to carry half of my teammates who are using curse a lot of the time. How would it work with 50x people in one space, I'd hear so much clamoring.

Is it guaranteed to make you better in hectic combat situations? Not tangible enough to be proven because there are too many variables in any situation. Proximity is not going to magically make you a better player either at that as it is dependent on personal skill often to throw your own judgment call out, people just cannot handhold you ALL the time. Warning hostile people in proximity doesn't even work in Rust. Reality vs Expectation again here. Virtual space gives people a lot of levity to not really fear their consequences as you would hold a gun to their head in real life.

Edited by Lastgirl~

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

It's a waste of resources to try and do ingame voice leave it to TS3 and Ventirlo most guilds have one anyways.

Except, as has already been in this thread, relying on third-party programs won't be enough to meet the demands of the Crowfall community. There are many situations where unnecessary violence can be avoided thanks to integrated voice chat. Such as when unaffiliated players meet in the field for the first, or even when rival guilds attempt to coordinate an attack against another group. Making sure that all players have access to the same voice chat technology will climate all these problems. So, it's a good use of resources for ACE to implement integrated voice chat within Crowfall, survival games have already gotten voice chat right it's time for MMORPGs to do the same.

Except, as has already been in this thread, relying on third-party programs won't be enough to meet the demands of the Crowfall community. There are many situations where unnecessary violence can be avoided thanks to integrated voice chat. Such as when unaffiliated players meet in the field for the first, or even when rival guilds attempt to coordinate an attack against another group. Making sure that all players have access to the same voice chat technology will climate all these problems. So, it's a good use of resources for ACE to implement integrated voice chat within Crowfall, survival games have already gotten voice chat right it's time for MMORPGs to do the same.

Lol. No guys! We can not do player killing in a player vs player game! Such is not allowed. While you are too busy trying to type or talk to me, I will be too busy killing you. 

I see your views it would make a change to the game but I guess it all down to how they manage it. WoW did it and that didn't work out hugely well. (I'm not comparing Crowfall to WoW in this statement i'm just stating a huge game dev team tried and failed at it) 

I see your views it would make a change to the game but I guess it all down to how they manage it. WoW did it and that didn't work out hugely well. (I'm not comparing Crowfall to WoW in this statement i'm just stating a huge game dev team tried and failed at it) 

Huge development teams and seemingly unlimited budgets count for nothing when that team is badly managed. WOW may still be the MMORPG to beat but Blizzards mistakes and inefficiencies are starting to cost them dealing. Just today I read that WOW's subscription rate for this quarter is down to 7.1 million from 10 million, that's a loss of 3 million players in 90 days. So, it's really not a question of how big budget is for voice chat; if ACE can be smart about how they implement integrated voice chat then they'll improve Crowfall at a fraction of the cost while also avoiding Blizzard's mistakes.

This thread is getting pretty damn stupid, I have lost count of the amount of times I have read dumb ass comments like; it's only going to be used by griefers - make mute one button press away, boom solved, it's too expensive to develop - as I've already stated several times now there are libraries for this in unity and it can and has been developed for peanuts in other unity games(rust is a good example) and no, for its purposes it doesn't have to be custard crystal clear and crisp sound at all times like your 3rd part VOIP. That's also never going to be the purpose of PVC, it's for on the fly random encounters with strangers and other people you don't have on your ts. As for demand being not being high enough there is a lot indicative of the opposite, development costs can be pretty damn low as well.

Member of The BlackHand Order

Ugh as I stated before it does not have to be turned off if they use a system similar to PS2 where you can mute the individual thus allowing people to use the feature as intended. 

Yeah I think some are VASTLY underestimating the amount of smacktards you will have to put on ignore on a daily basis. No amount of scorn or positive group think will reduce the number, it will be a daily occurrence guaranteed. If I have to spend more time clicking on crap to ignore people on the VOIP then actually playing the game... Yeah not good.

This thread is getting pretty damn stupid, I have lost count of the amount of times I have read dumb bottom comments like; it's only going to be used by griefers - make mute one button press away, boom solved, it's too expensive to develop - as I've already stated several times now there are libraries for this in unity and it can and has been developed for peanuts in other unity games(rust is a good example) and no, for its purposes it doesn't have to be custard crystal clear and crisp sound at all times like your 3rd part VOIP. That's also never going to be the purpose of PVC, it's for on the fly random encounters with strangers and other people you don't have on your ts. As for demand being not being high enough there is a lot indicative of the opposite, development costs can be pretty damn low as well.

When people started talking about the vietcong and napalm I knew it was time to facepalm.