Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skytea

Any plans for in game Proximity Voice Chat?

the only reason im against it is i like at least imagining everybody is ic in games like this even if not everybody rps and it kinda ruins the immersion if a minotuar says "lol get rekt" in a voice that doesn't even sound like one

Oh, so you know how a minotaur sound. Maybe you have a minotaur friend?

/sarcasm off

I find it much more immersive when players actually can talk, text chatting hasn't been immersive for me since about a decade ago. Not only that, its been a long while since I played in an MMO where people actually took the time to actually engage in a conversation. Its just not how it used to be, people are impatient and quite frankly lazy, in a way. In my most recent adventures in GW2, a couple of months ago, I actually took the time and effort trying to engage in conversation with people I met out in the world. None of the people I reached out to made any effort in responding beyond the occasional "hey". Who can blame them, really? I'm just a random dude which they probably are not going to play with more than a couple of minutes before they go on their merry way. Its just not worth the time and effort; which is a problem. Talking with people shouldn't be an effort, it should be something that happens naturally.

PVC might not be the end all be all solution to the lack of interraction between random players. However, it's definitely a step in the right direction, at least in my opinion.

"Grateful Dead, rock's longest, strangest trip."
ytpSwxP.png

I just fear that if proximity chat was implemented, the potential for grief and degenerates gets too high. While I do think that voice chat helps curve the anonymous nature of the internet, and people are more accountable, I just feel that most of the time it'll be used as a drive by "get rek'd nub" or other language that might be more foul, from racial slurs, hate filled words, etc. It doesn't even have to be someone who killed you, if you killed someone they also have the potential to just go off on you. 

Having voice chat in the game also arbitrarily raises the rating value, though they've mentioned their aiming for 18+ anyways, so that doesn't really matter. It could also have some interested effects if you didn't have push to talk as an option. As an Assassin, sneaking up to someone just to sneeze and have my cover blown seems quite hilarious.

Overall. I think there are more cons to the system than pros. Perhaps in the beginning days of MMOs, it would of been amazing, but now I think there is just too much hostility in the gaming world.

Oh, so you know how a minotaur sound. Maybe you have a minotaur friend?

i hope to make some ^^ minotaur friends i mean Edited by Aiona

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

I just fear that if proximity chat was implemented, the potential for grief and degenerates gets too high. While I do think that voice chat helps curve the anonymous nature of the internet, and people are more accountable, I just feel that most of the time it'll be used as a drive by "get rek'd nub" or other language that might be more foul, from racial slurs, hate filled words, etc. It doesn't even have to be someone who killed you, if you killed someone they also have the potential to just go off on you. 

Having voice chat in the game also arbitrarily raises the rating value, though they've mentioned their aiming for 18+ anyways, so that doesn't really matter. It could also have some interested effects if you didn't have push to talk as an option. As an Assassin, sneaking up to someone just to sneeze and have my cover blown seems quite hilarious.

Overall. I think there are more cons to the system than pros. Perhaps in the beginning days of MMOs, it would of been amazing, but now I think there is just too much hostility in the gaming world.

All of these things are still true as long as there is text chat.

I have another aspect of VOIP to bring up.

Deception.

Deception does not work in games in the moment, without VOIP. Look at TTT, and tell me it would work as well or really...at all without voip.

All of these things are still true as long as there is text chat.

While true, text chat leaves a trace, if someone threatens the death of another, at least in text it's on record.

While true, text chat leaves a trace, if someone threatens the death of another, at least in text it's on record.

While it can be true that text is much easier to keep a record of than voice, it is still not impossible to maintain a record of voice as well. In addition, this same argument can apply in any situation where verbal communication occurs, be it in Skype, third party VOIP, or even IRL. Does that mean we should forgo all verbal communication for text that leaves a verifiable record, so that should someone threaten the death of another, we have indisputable evidence of it?

Edited by Raizex

So if I am understand, some are wish for way to speak to ppl who is near you? I do this already. Is what voice natural do. Point of game on internet is talk with ppl I am not close. Phone is do also but no one is ever call me.

So if I am understand, some are wish for way to speak to ppl who is near you? I do this already. Is what voice natural do. Point of game on internet is talk with ppl I am not close. Phone is do also but no one is ever call me.

Lol wat?

Proximity would be interesting in certain situations, though as mentioned prior by many here, very prone to abuse. Muting people would have to be very simple, such as right clicking their character and choosing an immediate mute option. Also using proximity should highlight the individuals location in order to find the character more easily so that they can be muted quickly if they are abusing the feature.

Highlighting might seem to make the feature disadvantageous but realistically it would mimic the human ability to tell where a sound came from, which is harder to do in video games and is more or less difficult depending on various factors such as the quality of speakers and or the client's sound device, but also the complexity of the audio software in the game.

don't threaten to kill people, problem solved ^^

This for some people will not be an acceptable solution.

Edited by Shaxx

+1 to proximity voice chat.

Of course, it must be coupled with an efficient way of blocking annoying, obnoxious, excessive or drunk players. :P  I am not kidding though: you need a simple system where you can see (and ideally hear) the last 5 or 10 voice messages and block someone if needed and report.

ps: maybe in the suggestion thread next time would be better/more efficient for the dev. imo.

Edited by baraz

Baraz / Siriel, The Shipwrecked Pirates and ally of the WinterbladesUndead Lords (UDL)
- Loved Shadowbane. I play mostly Darkfall, Mount & Blade Warband, Heroes & Generals, Fallout 4 (Steam).

proximity chat would be really cool and useful especially in the early days of a campaign when you are running around trying to find your faction/guild/team/mom.

i can't hear anything over your choice of music consider using this version instead:

The music choice was indeed unfortunate, I took some bad advice, in future episodes that mistake was not repeated.

My personal experience with proximity voice chat has only been good, maybe with a few downsides here and there. But i played planetside 2 for many months, and used the voice chat daily. It helped a lot in organizing team battles with strangers without having to get them on your skype or ts.
So i would have nothing against it in crowfall. I think it would only improve the game.. 

And for those being so defensive against this idea,, just turn it off?