Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skytea

Any plans for in game Proximity Voice Chat?

I do like this idea and I think it is an interesting feature. I do admit though that out of all the games I have played that have it, the first thing I do is turn it off. I do use an outside guild TS3 but in my experience the most frustrating thing about voice is that not even everyone in your guild uses it, not to mention someone you are grouping with who is not in your guild. Voice is so vital to pvp success that you might as well cross your fingers and hope for the best if you aren't able to count on your team to at least be listening to you. Of course, most guilds make voice "mandatory" but that can be troublesome since enforcing this rule isn't always practical. I am not sure if having an in game voice option would change any of this but it could help, especially if the settings were togglable by the group leader rather than the individual. The obvious consequence of this would be to simply not join groups that you are not comfortable with but at least as group leader you would know that the people who did join your group were consenting to voice and (hopefully) listening.

Voice allows you to continue to control your character while communicating. That is it. Anything else is true regarding text or voice. Harassment, cooperation, lying, those work just as well in text or voice.

True, BUT - chat can be moderated because it is stored on the servers. Voice is too much data, can not be saved and not be (as easy) moderated.

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

True, BUT - chat can be moderated because it is stored on the servers. Voice is too much data, can not be saved and not be (as easy) moderated.

I don't 100% buy the unable to be saved. If you save the files as 32k(we aren't recording mozart here) mp3 you get about 7 mb for 30m of voice. Considering you only really have to store all of the data for a couple of days unless someone is reported.

Lets say we have 100k players, who play 20 hours a week, and talk 1/3 of the time they are online. That would work out to about 2 TB of data a week. Yes thats a lot of storage, but for every players voice for the last week its not a crazy amount. And like I said, that would only have pieces stored if someone got a complaint in that time period. A typical system if you report someone flags yours and theirs chat (all channels) for the last hour or so for review, this would just include the audio as well.

And our automated moderation of text is rudimentary at best. We can filter out swear words, but any effort towards bypassing it will be successful, either through misspelling or substitution, or just using acceptable words in an unacceptable manner.

I still don't 100% believe the benefits will outweigh the costs. But I do think its worth debate.

Lets say we have 100k players, who play 20 hours a week, and talk 1/3 of the time they are online. That would work out to about 2 TB of data a week.

Good luck to the guy having to listen through all of that lol

Edited by Dwayna

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

Want voice chat? Join a group.

That's something I can get behind on. Voice chat option for a grouping function, so you can talk in party if you really want to get hung up on convenience.

I remember playing Rust and people would abuse the proximity chat to hilarious effect like some raiding parties would put on gangster rap and it would be SO loud you could hear it over the hills, and they were roving around shooting everything.

So yea, think about that.

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

That's something I can get behind on. Voice chat option for a grouping function, so you can talk in party if you really want to get hung up on convenience.

I remember playing Rust and people would abuse the proximity chat to hilarious effect like some raiding parties would put on gangster rap and it would be SO loud you could hear it over the hills, and they were roving around shooting everything.

So yea, think about that.

When I meant by "group" is a clan. This whole thing that I do not want to use ventrilo or ts3 in a team based game is stupid...

When I meant by "group" is a clan. This whole thing that I do not want to use ventrilo or ts3 in a team based game is stupid...

Oh true, I also agree with that. I'm just saying I could settle for that instead of proximity based voice chat.

Sometimes people can't use vent or ts3 because they don't have a mic, but they can still listen or they're deaf. But any other reason than that is pretty much lacking, yes.

Edited by Lastgirl~

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

Good luck to the guy having to listen through all of that lol

No one would except for sections surrounding a player report. Do you think wow gms read every line of barrens chat?

No one would except for sections surrounding a player report. Do you think wow gms read every line of barrens chat?

That was exaggerated... it  meant: text is much better to moderate than voice. You can filter it and stuff, voice has to be listened to to just name one difference.

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

I'd hate to see this make it into the game, unless it's able to be turned off.. but then that would defeat the point I suppose. I don't want to hear anyone's music, celebrity sound boards or screaming rages unless I'm in a guild voice chat or something.. and even then :P

I would rather see the availability of a group chat. DDO (among others I'm sure) had this enabled for group chat during raids and such. It would give pick up groups or new players not asssociated with a community the availibility to communicate without having to reconcile VOIP addresses. Not everyone that plays this game will come in attached to a guild. It would be nice to have.

This is contingent on it being able to fit within the budget of course. I would not consider it the highest priority.

I played H1Z1 with a soundboard and my actual friends on TS. This was hilarious but I don't think this is what ACE has in mind for Crowfall.

Edited by Krethys

oiPOxr.jpg

Proud Member of KDS -

Recruitment Post - Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

People in here are missing the obvious points.

Group voip is unnecessary, absolutely, because we all use 3rd party clients.  Ignore that.

Spammers?  Make muting easy.  Problem solved.

The real question is how the heck are you going to group with rando's in the Dregs in an emergency?  If you're getting chased by enemies and you stumble onto 3 random people, without VoiP they are the enemy, every single time.  With Voip?  Maybe you can get them on your side in time.

This is a scenario which is absolutely 100% not met unless there is proximity voice chat.  You can argue all you want that voip is not feasible, or would be too costly, but I guarantee 212% that voip is necessary to provide this kind of scenario.  So if you're going to say voip is not feasible, acknowledge that you are giving up a major feature in a FFA game.

People in here are missing the obvious points.

Group voip is unnecessary, absolutely, because we all use 3rd party clients.  Ignore that.

Spammers?  Make muting easy.  Problem solved.

The real question is how the heck are you going to group with rando's in the Dregs in an emergency?  If you're getting chased by enemies and you stumble onto 3 random people, without VoiP they are the enemy, every single time.  With Voip?  Maybe you can get them on your side in time.

This is a scenario which is absolutely 100% not met unless there is proximity voice chat.  You can argue all you want that voip is not feasible, or would be too costly, but I guarantee 212% that voip is necessary to provide this kind of scenario.  So if you're going to say voip is not feasible, acknowledge that you are giving up a major feature in a FFA game.

This

Absolutely right. In-game VOIP is not for guild chat. You'll have your own tool for that.

In-game VOIP is so that you can communicate with complete strangers when you encounter them.

It's a lot more fun to have a workable option for demanding tribute than it is to just charge in shooting every time.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Makes you wonder wtf we did before voice.

Oh we all just attacked each other before talking.

So much different than now.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I'd love if this game had Second Life style voice chat, lure in trolls like Esteban Winsmore who thrive off recording hilarious voice chat rants.

here's the reasons why voice chat should be implemented 

number 1 you can teach people how to play the game better

number 2 if you can not write or have dyslexia 

number 3  you're more likely going to die writing a sentence 

number 4 is faster to talk your way out of a problem than it is to write your way out

number 5 listen to people cry and laugh

Those dismissing proximity voice chat have obviously never played DayZ, H1Z1,etc. Yep, some people are aholes or just flat out annoying, but there's a lot of good experiences to be had too. Would be a great fit for a game like Crowfall.