Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skytea

Any plans for in game Proximity Voice Chat?

It's a thought experiment...you have to make some assumptions, and I've made some for you.  I don't think most of your assumptions really affect the validity of the question, as it's really just a simple scenario of "I'm outnumbered but could turn the fight around if this other outnumbered group helps me."  Answer that one if the more detailed and yes, slightly more assumption based, scenario is really so unanswerable.

But whatever, if people really want to stick their head in the sand and insist that voice chat offers absolutely nothing over text chat, then there's really no sense in discussing things.  I've asked a number of pointed questions that have been ignored or dismissed, so I can see now that my time is wasted on this discussion.

The problem of though experiments is that everyone can make up and turn things so it matches the own imagination. For such things we need to know more until we can properly discuss this.

I'm not against voice chat, I just see it critical for a number of reasons. But everyone weights these things differently, so this discussion will go endlessly until a dev clears things up.

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

Yep and some of the most popular streamers grew their communities through RPing in games with proximity based voice chat.

These features always come with options to disable them for people who don't want to deal with it.

Yeah to be honest it's not all bad with proximity voice chat and there would probably be less problems in a game like Crowfall as opposed to like in Rust for example where everyone is just anonymous, naked, goalless and usually equipped with a spear and don't have anything better to do than run around like a wonderful person yelling friendly while trying to stab you.

Regardless of that I've still managed to make friends with a lot of strangers and neighbours in Rust, not to mention it gives rise to some pretty hilarious situations. I forsee all of the positive things about pvc persisting in cf but perhaps less of the bad.

Edited by zushakon

Member of The BlackHand Order

You might want to go find a different game. You keep failing to realize that the focus of this game is pvp and not hand holding. You keep failing to realize how many people look at the game exactly like I do. The teams are black and white, you are either running my tag/nation or you're not. For all I know, I just missed the rune drop and you have it. If  you do and I kill you, I now have it. 

I might as well say the same to you.  Go read Ace's vision for the Dregs.  It's absolutely not a "black and white" enemies vs allies at all.  You may think the players will act more like you do, but I am 100% confident the vision for the game aligns with what I've described.

Regardless, doesn't change the fact that "I don't plan to communicate with new people" isn't a valid argument for "Is voice chat better than text chat."  :rolleyes:

I might as well say the same to you.  Go read Ace's vision for the Dregs.  It's absolutely not a "black and white" enemies vs allies at all.  You may think the players will act more like you do, but I am 100% confident the vision for the game aligns with what I've described.

Regardless, doesn't change the fact that "I don't plan to communicate with new people" isn't a valid argument for "Is voice chat better than text chat."  :rolleyes:

I am well aware of the "plan" for this game.  I never said I do not plan on communicating with new people. However, I do not need voip to do it. 

Edited by handies

I am well aware of the "plan" for this game.  I never said I do not plan on communicating with new people. However, I do not need voip to do it. 

Oh, really?  Weird considering this:

No, the reason is simple. If i come across you in the world, I am not going to give you a chance or let you know I am there. I am going to drop you asap. As long as you are near me, including the zone I am in, you are a threat.

Lol.  

Whatever dude.  I'm getting exhausted of arguing with someone who constantly keeps contradicting themselves and running the debate around in circles.  It's clearly not going anywhere.  Personally, I find it hilarious that there are people who believe that being able to talk to people, one of the defining traits of humanity as a species, is not in the future of gaming.  But you just can't argue with some people.  Shrug.

Our guild will have private and public channels if people want to join voice com's. Joining someone else's voice com's should be quick and easy if you can copy paste chat. And everyone should have TS, vent, Skype and raidcall already on their system just cause.

Yeah to be honest it's not all bad with proximity voice chat and there would probably be less problems in a game like Crowfall as opposed to like in Rust for example where everyone is just anonymous, naked, goalless and usually equipped with a spear and don't have anything better to do than run around like a wonderful person yelling friendly while trying to stab you.

Regardless of that I've still managed to make friends with a lot of strangers and neighbours in Rust, not to mention it gives rise to some pretty hilarious situations. I forsee all of the positive things about pvc persisting in cf but perhaps less of the bad.

I hope ACE has played some of those games or watched some streams to see just how emergent and amazing the gameplay can be with proximity chat. 

Our guild will have private and public channels if people want to join voice com's. Joining someone else's voice com's should be quick and easy if you can copy paste chat. And everyone should have TS, vent, Skype and raidcall already on their system just cause.

Why does everyone keep bringing up VOIP in discussions about PVC? Completely different things for completely different purposes. Off-topic as hell is what it is.

I'm facepalming at some of these replies lmfao

Welcome to General Discussion, enjoy your stay.

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

+1 for voicechat

It only has benefits over text chat. Plus a 2015/16 MMO with VR should really have proximity voice chat.

For the obvious rebutals I have seen so far.

1. Any harassment can just as much happen over text

2. You can mute/ignore just as easily as text based

3. It can be moderated (been proven in posts before mine)

If there is can we get a global command to shut everyone off without having to click on each person... i really hate when ever newb thinks that since he was elite raider of warsong he knows how to pvp and what needs to be done.. i don't want to hear it while i'm trying to talk on vent with people that enjoy pvp not campgrounds for kids.

+1 for voicechat

It only has benefits over text chat. Plus a 2015/16 MMO with VR should really have proximity voice chat.

For the obvious rebutals I have seen so far.

1. Any harassment can just as much happen over text

2. You can mute/ignore just as easily as text based

3. It can be moderated (been proven in posts before mine)

The biggest argument against which can't be refuted is that its creation and then further maintenance and upkeep is an expense that a Dev like ACE with a limited budget just can't afford. If it was a must have feature then sure they could find a way to get it in but again as many have stated already, current systems are more than adequate to facilitate communication, so in game voip just isn't needed atm.

The biggest argument against which can't be refuted is that its creation and then further maintenance and upkeep is an expense that a Dev like ACE with a limited budget just can't afford. If it was a must have feature then sure they could find a way to get it in but again as many have stated already, current systems are more than adequate to facilitate communication, so in game voip just isn't needed atm.

It's cheap as custard and really easy to implement, why do you think every little indie survival start-up has it implemented in early alpha stages? It's really not all that...

It's cheap as custard and really easy to implement, why do you think every little indie survival start-up has it implemented in early alpha stages? It's really not all that...

Well if WoW can't pull off a functioning in game voip that sounds half way decent and that players actually wanted then I have my doubts. Not saying WoW is the end all be all of course but come on its a game known for throwing money at stuff just to say its there. So yeah I just don't see how a Dev with a limited budget can justify the expense(money and time) when a Dev with a virtually unlimited budget can't.

and indie company could pull it off but it'll be at the expense of other features and systems. Knowing ACE for this short time, I just feel like they will prioritize actual game play systems and overall quality over things that are fluff or redundant based on whats already available.

Edited by pang

I really hate voicechat even though I understand the benefits of it in battlesituations and will grudgingly adapt. Outside of battles I want to listen to music while I play, and in my experience people tend to chat about completely non game related issues which is nice and social for them but breaks my immersion.

I'm not a fan ... for this style of game. However, having said that - if it is implemented Crowfall will have helped me to name one of my toons.

BeatBoxBob will once again feature - and I will be permanently relaying irritating music to the game whilst I attempt to backstab thee.

<3

Edited by daworf

"Proud" owner of the domains : http://www.crowfall2.com and http://www.guinecean.com

If it costs them $0 and takes them 0 hours and I can disable it... I'd support this "feature."

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

I'm not a fan ... for this style of game. However, having said that - if it is implemented Crowfall will have helped me to name one of my toons.

BeatBoxBob will once again feature - and I will be permanently relaying irritating music to the game whilst I attempt to backstab thee.

<3

And we'll mute you and you'll become kos ;) Sounds like a fair trade.

Edit: not to mention, hearing you coming will make it pretty hard for you to backstab us.

Edited by theDoctor