Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skytea

Any plans for in game Proximity Voice Chat?

Well if WoW can't pull off a functioning in game voip that sounds half way decent and that players actually wanted then I have my doubts. Not saying WoW is the end all be all of course but come on its a game known for throwing money at stuff just to say its there. So yeah I just don't see how a Dev with a limited budget can justify the expense(money and time) when a Dev with a virtually unlimited budget can't.

and indie company could pull it off but it'll be at the expense of other features and systems. Knowing ACE for this short time, I just feel like they will prioritize actual game play systems and overall quality over things that are fluff or redundant based on whats already available.

Might just be their engine then, there's libraries for implementing it fairly easy with Unity.

Member of The BlackHand Order

Might just be their engine then, there's libraries for implementing it fairly easy with Unity.

Yes. Wow has made the active decision to discourage communication. Last I played horde and alliance couldn't speak to each other. Primarily to avoid griefing. Crowfall has already established you can communicate with your enemies (they may be your friends next campaign).  I have no doubt that if ActiBlizzard *wanted* localized VOIP it would happen. They have literally billions of dollars they could throw at it. They made a conscious decision that the benefit/detriment of allowing in game VOIP didn't outweigh the cost to implement and bandwidth to continue to support it.

In wow everything you do of consequence is in a preformed group, which makes communicating via a 3rd party program simple. Raiding? Share vent first, Joined a BG, teamspeak is spammed in chat before match. If you are out farming ore by yourself an an opposite aligned player comes up there is no communication period. (other than KEK). There is no item loss, trade or communication, for any sort of pleading or bargaining is out the window. And there aren't any FFA areas where temporary alliances may be made (well I think there are two arenas, which exist only for this purpose)

So in WoWs sense, why would they alienate the 3rd parties that helped them, and shoulder the cost of development and bandwidth for no real benefit.

Limiting communication makes sense when players are basically just advanced enemy mobs. If players are actually to be interacted with like other players, then communication is important.

If I wanted to listen to a reenactment of Xbox Live voice chat and hear random pointless crap from people whom have not completely puberty phycially or mentally and are angry about it, I'd go be a console peasant and play Halo.

I prefer my voip to be invite only (security and sanity), and separate from the game server since if the game crashes/locks/lags a standalone VOIP is not sharing the same issue and I am able to alert my team.

If I wanted to listen to a reenactment of Xbox Live voice chat and hear random pointless crap from people whom have not completely puberty phycially or mentally and are angry about it, I'd go be a console peasant and play Halo.

I prefer my voip to be invite only (security and sanity), and separate from the game server since if the game crashes/locks/lags a standalone VOIP is not sharing the same issue and I am able to alert my team.

Everyone has already agreed that 3rd party Voip is exactly what you would do for teaming up.

There are obvious benefits (unless you're being purposely ignorant)

The downsides are

- Dev time to implement

- impact in game performance

- "I don't want to hear other people"

The last point is utterly rediculois because you could turn it off. Sure it would take Dev time but I'd rather have in game chat than flying caravans or bane circles and no one even asked for those two things while there have been multiple threads asking for in game voice chat.

So really it all comes down to the effect on performance and as many others have pointed out many prople already run 3rd party applications, so I imagine they could do it.

It is one of the biggest reasons people play dayz and h1z1. Why would we not want to implement something that is so hugley popular and benificial to the game?!

MOkvLlm.png

Dev time to implement shouldn't be even considered a factor, if they want to make a great game, features like these are needed to provide a unique immersive experience.

Dev time to implement shouldn't be even considered a factor, if they want to make a great game, features like these are needed to provide a unique immersive experience.

You understand that dev time = money right?

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Reading through this thread has been pretty hilarious.

I facepalm at every reply that goes on a rant about "Just go join up in a <insert  3rdP VOIP software> channel". If your mind instantly starts to wander towards the notion of VOIP, you clearly have no idea of what the discussion is actually about.

Fun fact; I was just like you guys who don't like PVC, up untill just a few years ago. I hated the notion of "being encouraged" to hear, or talk with complete strangers. I didn't at all get the reasons or the draw for it, why would I want to hear some random dude talk with me or why should I ever talk to this person? I couldn't really grasp the benefits, the reasons, the entire concept; I needed to experience them, firsthand.

For a game to be so utterly broken, unpolished and right-out frustrating to play at times - DayZ Mod was the first game to show me what PVC can do for a game, its popularity, longevity, its level of immersion, etc. A game, or in this case just a mod back then, in where the players primary focus was surviving. With the biggest threat being other players, PVC brought the player-interraction to the forefront of the game even more so. I experienced situations in a game that I never even thought would be possible, situations I hadn't even concieved prior to experiencing them. It was truly an eye-opener, a paradigm shift in online gaming.

Although, just as any interraction between people online whether it be via text or voice, weird and unpleasant situations will arise. It shouldn't be more difficult than dealing with a player in any other game, whether it'll be ignoring his voice or his text. The benefits outweighs the negatives, very much so, and anyone who tries to argue this point is simply to stubborn and conservative.

This is 2015, or 2016 when we have this game in our hands. I'll be damned if not the majority of online gamers today have a microphone at hand, this together with the exponential growth and decline of cost of Internet bandwidth. The very apparent, growing splits and lack of interraction between players and a game's community. A genre that used to thrive on player-interraction, it used to be one of the focal points of MMOs. A feature that encourages and makes it easier for people to interract with eachother. See where I'm going with this. So why shouldn't we have access to PVC in todays day and age?

Edited by Lorgarn

"Grateful Dead, rock's longest, strangest trip."
ytpSwxP.png

@Lorgarn I like your line of thought but Crowfall is not meant for the mass market appeal. So the argument of "ease of use" does not count at all. Players are required to willingly let themselves be sucked into Crowfall's allure instead of Crowfall deliberately trying to appeal to the "casual couch gamer".

The only thing that counts is if Crowfalls core gameplay would profit from PVC. That is yet to be seen.

Misread on my part. Nonetheless - I'm not a fan of PVC. I prefer closed voice chat services.

Edited by Angier

There are obvious benefits (unless you're being purposely ignorant)

The downsides are

- Dev time to implement

- impact in game performance

- "I don't want to hear other people"

The last point is utterly rediculois because you could turn it off. Sure it would take Dev time but I'd rather have in game chat than flying caravans or bane circles and no one even asked for those two things while there have been multiple threads asking for in game voice chat.

So really it all comes down to the effect on performance and as many others have pointed out many prople already run 3rd party applications, so I imagine they could do it.

It is one of the biggest reasons people play dayz and h1z1. Why would we not want to implement something that is so hugley popular and benificial to the game?!

That's all well and good for that type of game. But I daresay Crowfall will be a different type of game and with different type of playstyle. Those games (dayz and h1z1) are not very group friendly and are more solo/survival based in nature yes? So it stands to reason in game voice would have more use. It works in those games because how they are made. So can't just say it'll 100% work or be useful in the next game.

Also just re-read your last sentence and almost reads like you're being sarcastic... Anyways using the same logic could say "Well PvE Raids are hugely popular in WoW so why wouldn't we want them in Crowfall?!"

Edited by pang

@Lorgarn I like your line of thought but Crowfall is not meant for the mass market appeal. So the argument of "ease of use" does not count at all. Players are required to willingly let themselves be sucked into Crowfall's allure instead of Crowfall deliberately trying to appeal to the "casual couch gamer".

The only thing that counts is if Crowfalls core gameplay would profit from PVC. That is yet to be seen.

Nothing about his post has anything to do with mass market appeal, or making things "casual."  If anything, it's the opposite.  Casual games are all about "go do these things alone or with your 2 best friends, and never be bothered with the world around you."  Look at WoW where raid sizes have gotten smaller and smaller, and groupfinders have been implemented everywhere.  Look at Destiny, where voice chat was pretty much just foregone in most parts of the game.  That is the casual experience.

Voice chat is a feature that works directly for Crowfall's core gameplay.  Crowfall's key ruleset, the Dregs, is all about grouping and interacting dynamically with the people you meet in game.  It's not about loading in with your teamspeak group and doing everything yourselves.  So how are you going to do all that without voice?

Think of the Walking Dead comparison.  How exactly would Rick and his group survive if they were only allowed to talk to eachother, and spoke to every new people they met through a chalkboard?  Do you really think they would have bothered to even try?  Or would they have just killed anyone they couldn't communicate with, because they wouldn't be able to risk writing them a message while the other people could just end up killing them (or zombies might come out of somewhere, who knows).

That's all well and good for that type of game. But I daresay Crowfall will be a different type of game and with different type of playstyle. Those games (dayz and h1z1) are not very group friendly and are more solo/survival based in nature yes? So it stands to reason in game voice would have more use. It works in those games because how they are made. So can't just say it'll 100% work or be useful in the next game.

Also just re-read your last sentence and almost reads like you're being sarcastic... Anyways using the same logic could say "Well PvE Raids are hugely popular in WoW so why wouldn't we want them in Crowfall?!"

DayZ and H1Z1 are very group friendly, in fact I don't know very many people who try to play them and survive completely alone.

We aren't just blindly saying since DayZ and H1Z1 have it, so should Crowfall.  Actually read what people are saying here dude.  We're using those games as a specific example, because they are all about dynamic and emergent interactions with the people you encounter in game.  They have that.  Virtually no other games do.  But Crowfall wants that!  So if Crowfall wants it, and the survival games have it, let's start thinking about why they have it.

And the answer to that question may not only be PVC.  But I guarantee you that it's a part of it.

You keep talking like there is no way to communicate in game with other players with no voice chat. How do you think its been done for all these years? We get it you really REALLY want in game voice chat but exaggerating and using false premises isn't going to help your cause.

Reading through this thread has been pretty hilarious.

I facepalm at every reply that goes on a rant about "Just go join up in a <insert  3rdP VOIP software> channel". If your mind instantly starts to wander towards the notion of VOIP, you clearly have no idea of what the discussion is actually about.

Fun fact; I was just like you guys who don't like PVC, up untill just a few years ago. I hated the notion of "being encouraged" to hear, or talk with complete strangers. I didn't at all get the reasons or the draw for it, why would I want to hear some random dude talk with me or why should I ever talk to this person? I couldn't really grasp the benefits, the reasons, the entire concept; I needed to experience them, firsthand.

For a game to be so utterly broken, unpolished and right-out frustrating to play at times - DayZ Mod was the first game to show me what PVC can do for a game, its popularity, longevity, its level of immersion, etc. A game, or in this case just a mod back then, in where the players primary focus was surviving. With the biggest threat being other players, PVC brought the player-interraction to the forefront of the game even more so. I experienced situations in a game that I never even thought would be possible, situations I hadn't even concieved prior to experiencing them. It was truly an eye-opener, a paradigm shift in online gaming.

Although, just as any interraction between people online whether it be via text or voice, weird and unpleasant situations will arise. It shouldn't be more difficult than dealing with a player in any other game, whether it'll be ignoring his voice or his text. The benefits outweighs the negatives, very much so, and anyone who tries to argue this point is simply to stubborn and conservative.

This is 2015, or 2016 when we have this game in our hands. I'll be damned if not the majority of online gamers today have a microphone at hand, this together with the exponential growth and decline of cost of Internet bandwidth. The very apparent, growing splits and lack of interraction between players and a game's community. A genre that used to thrive on player-interraction, it used to be one of the focal points of MMOs. A feature that encourages and makes it easier for people to interract with eachother. See where I'm going with this. So why shouldn't we have access to PVC in todays day and age?

I think people are too quick to judge things that they think are easier to understand than they actually are.  I see a lot of older gamers often pigeon hole features as being this or that and just by the way they describe them you know they don't have much experience with said features or understand what is so great about them. 

To me as someone that likes mmorpgs to be immersive and social like I feel they were originally intended to be, the emergent gameplay that can come from interacting with easy communication with another stranger is awesome, and a step in the right direction.  When I see people write it off based on some cliche xbox cod kiddy experience it tells me they don't understand the value that proximity chat brings to these kinda survival and immersion genres. 

Sadly when people have their opinions formed it is often hard to reason with them. 

I think people are too quick to judge things that they think are easier to understand than they actually are.  I see a lot of older gamers often pigeon hole features as being this or that and just by the way they describe them you know they don't have much experience with said features or understand what is so great about them. 

To me as someone that likes mmorpgs to be immersive and social like I feel they were originally intended to be, the emergent gameplay that can come from interacting with easy communication with another stranger is awesome, and a step in the right direction.  When I see people write it off based on some cliche xbox cod kiddy experience it tells me they don't understand the value that proximity chat brings to these kinda survival and immersion genres. 

Sadly when people have their opinions formed it is often hard to reason with them. 

Yes this is pretty spot-on sadly. At the end of the day it's perhaps not a hugely important feature, it'll have it's negatives and it's positives and it will not make or break the game either way. But I do think adding it would be easy and not a big cost to ACE and give birth to a lot of emergent gameplay and a lot of social interactions that wouldn't have happened otherwise which are both really good points in my book. Even if killing each other is going to be the main thing about this game, it's still supposed to be a living, breathing world with social interaction and dependency on other players for the sake of survival/success. PVC is a great way to achieve those things, not to mention it makes taunting your enemies and doing a bit of poorly made socks-talking easier and more fun to do.

Edited by Zushakon

playing planetside 2 I've definitely seen the ups and downs of this. Every time I enter a galaxy, some a-hole decides to play Flight of the Valkyries or some weird song on proximity chat. Funny, but annoying when you're trying to get briefed by your platoon and squad commander where you're going to drop.

but on the plus side, people can be like "hey need a gunner" and since it's proximity, you have a good idea where they are. plus stuff like "hey there's a tank behind us" etc that works better in proximity voice for people not in your teamspeak. my favorite is "hey, f*ckin medic, turn around and revive me, i'm behind you"

How do games that feature really big battles or highly populated towns deal with localized voice chat? Like how would the servers and your computer parse 300 different voice inputs simultaneously? I don't know much about in-game voice chat, but implementing in a game like this may be more difficult than it is in other games.

ncLez59.png

You keep talking like there is no way to communicate in game with other players with no voice chat. How do you think its been done for all these years? We get it you really REALLY want in game voice chat but exaggerating and using false premises isn't going to help your cause.

How I think it's been done all these years?  Well, I think the industry has slowly moved away from organically interacting with the people around you in games.  We get games where everything is instanced, group content, and you're expected to make your friends beforehand.

Easy to say I'm "exaggerating and using false premises" without actually giving any examples.   :rolleyes:

How do games that feature really big battles or highly populated towns deal with localized voice chat? Like how would the servers and your computer parse 300 different voice inputs simultaneously? I don't know much about in-game voice chat, but implementing in a game like this may be more difficult than it is in other games.

This is a challenge that may be too hard to overcome, admittedly.  I'm going to go on a crazy limb and take a game-designery-guess here though, and suggest one of those features that sounds awful at first but might actually work interestingly (like permadeath in roguelikes).  What if after so many people in an area PVC range would drop dramatically (like only hear someone basically on top of you), or even just got muted completely?

I mean, think of it kinda like how in a hectic battle, communication falls apart.  This is a pretty natural feeling as it is.  So maybe, when people start clustering, proximity communication gets less effective.

Just a wild idea, think it over for a bit.

But like I've said, I'm not saying CF can have PVC.  It's a reasonable response, IMO, to say "This isn't feasible, sorry."  I just think it absolutely should have PVC.  My platform is mostly that PVC has to happen in these kinds of games someday.  It just has to.  Maybe CF isn't the one, but there's no way I'll agree that it's because "voice chat is an unnecessary feature."

I would reckon you'd just have to mute it going into any decent sized fights, not a problem as long it's just a button push away.

Perhaps if it starts being a load on the server it just shuts down temporarily in the area.

Edited by Zushakon