Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skytea

Any plans for in game Proximity Voice Chat?

Was obviously just talking about this one feature in a video game. I'm always open to new ideas and evolving the genre (its why I'm following and backing this game) but I'm also a realist and I think it is indeed a bit naïve to think that in an online game that everyone will just get along and the bad folks will just go away because we will drive them out with our overwhelming positivity! lol this your first day on the internet?

Did I say any of that?  No.  So is it your first day reading?  Because I don't know where you got any of the things you're saying, but they certainly weren't in my post.

I think it's a bit naive to think that somehow, one of the core facets of humanity as a species (our ability to create languages, and speak them to each other) is not something that should eventually be in games.  It's just sticking your head in the sand because you don't like the current experiences.  Well, news flash, things change over time.  To think that we won't eventually learn how to handle talking to eachother is ridiculous.

If games never figure out something as simple as voice chat, they will plateau.  That's a simple fact.  Text is not the end of our evolution in communication.  

I think people just forget this is a PvP game and we are all bad people.

Or, you know, no one said what he's accusing us of saying.
Edited by theDoctor

Yeah its totally immersive until you hear someone yelling profanity's at you or blasting music into their mics. Can say what ya want but the drawback's will always outweigh anything good that may come of it IMO.

The first portion of this is somewhat true, however using a PVC like say in Planetside 2 you can actually lower or even mute the individual with a simple button. In games like this strategy is going to be key, in which communication to all players on your side will help with executing a strategy more effectively. In honestly I would like to see a similar PVC like the one in PS2 plus a way to setup battle groups or squads like in PS2. 

To all the people saying well just going a group, imo you did join a group the second you chose your side.

Can I just say that in a 100 vs 100 battle that proximity VOIP just sounds like a nightmare. It wouldn't be a bunch of men and women just screaming battle cries and the sounds of death, it will be people just poorly made socksting all over the microphones all at once. I love Counter Strike for its native voice support, but it is also it's biggest annoyance as well. Thankfully that is just a few people and on your own team, I couldn't imagine having to listen to anyone within a certain range of myself. Constantly having to mute people. Constantly having to turn a feature on and off because it was bothering me... just gross.

Edited by spectre.smg

Can I just say that in a 100 vs 100 battle that proximity VOIP just sounds like a nightmare. It wouldn't be a bunch of men and women just screaming battle cries and the sounds of death, it will be people just poorly made socksting all over the microphones all at once. I love Counter Strike for its native voice support, but it is also it's biggest annoyance as well. Thankfully that is just a few people and on your own team, I couldn't imagine having to listen to anyone within a certain range of myself. Constantly having to mute people. Constantly having to turn a feature on and off because it was bothering me... just gross.

A suggestion for this has also already been discussed 2 pages back.

I guess this thread should probably die at this point.  People are just going in circles now, suggesting/criticizing things that have already been addressed multiple times.  That's usually the sign that there's not much progress to be had on the issue.

A suggestion for this has also already been discussed 2 pages back.

I guess this thread should probably die at this point.  People are just going in circles now, suggesting/criticizing things that have already been addressed multiple times.  That's usually the sign that there's not much progress to be had on the issue.

I went two pages back and didn't see a suggestion.

My time is valuable, I make $7 an hour.

Did I say any of that?  No.  So is it your first day reading?  Because I don't know where you got any of the things you're saying, but they certainly weren't in my post.

I think it's a bit naive to think that somehow, one of the core facets of humanity as a species (our ability to create languages, and speak them to each other) is not something that should eventually be in games.  It's just sticking your head in the sand because you don't like the current experiences.  Well, news flash, things change over time.  To think that we won't eventually learn how to handle talking to eachother is ridiculous.

If games never figure out something as simple as voice chat, they will plateau.  That's a simple fact.  Text is not the end of our evolution in communication.  

Or, you know, no one said what he's accusing us of saying.

You claimed the bad folks the ones who will abuse the voice chat feature will get "slowly punished away" and the other poster said that because we all care about our reputations that the bad folks won't abuse the feature or at least not very much.

So yes while exaggeration was used on my part point stands. Just sounds naïve thinking that it either won't be an issue after a while or that people actually care about reputations in a competitive PvP game that they won't abuse a chat feature. In fact I'd say the more hardcore or more competitive the environment the worse it will get. That's just a fact of the matter with these games and why I question ones experience on the internet if one thinks that the majority of good people will drive away the bad ones.

Edited by pang

You put a mike in front of people and they all think they're comedians. For the record, you aren't funny, and I don't want to hear what you have to say.

No to proximity voice comms.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

You put a mike in front of people and they all think they're comedians. For the record, you aren't funny, and I don't want to hear what you have to say.

No to proximity voice comms.

I know you are not talking about me

"Friendly. Friendly. NOT LOOOL"

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Me on voice coms:

SomeGuy: He's still playing but he hasn't said a word in 2 hours.

OtherGuy: Bairloch! Are you even there!?

Bairloch: No.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

I went two pages back and didn't see a suggestion.

My time is valuable, I make $7 an hour.

Turns out it was actually only 1 page back.  Even more recent than I thought.  Go figure.

You claimed the bad folks the ones who will abuse the voice chat feature will get "slowly punished away" and the other poster said that because we all care about our reputations that the bad folks won't abuse the feature or at least not very much.

So yes while exaggeration was used on my part point stands. Just sounds naïve thinking that it either won't be an issue after a while or that people actually care about reputations in a competitive PvP game that they won't abuse a chat feature. In fact I'd say the more hardcore or more competitive the environment the worse it will get. That's just a fact of the matter with these games and why I question ones experience on the internet if one thinks that the majority of good people will drive away the bad ones.

I said nothing about reputations.  I was talking about actual in-game punishment.  If I can't communicate with someone, I can't work with them.  If I can't work with them, they become an enemy.

If I see a person in the Dregs spamming voice chat, first thing I'll do is mute him.  Second thing I'll do is kill him.  Third thing I'll do is remember to kill him on sight in the future.

This has nothing to do with his reputation in some imaginary honorary sense.  This has to do with whether or not he finds people to work with.  This isn't LoL where no matter how toxic I am I can just queue up again and try over.  This is a game literally about dynamic grouping.  If I'm annoying over voice, no one groups with me.  If no one groups with me there's nothing to do.

Again, this has nothing to do with good people driving away bad people.  This has everything to do with the entire core gameplay depending on people getting other people to work with them.

and all that is still possible like it always has been w/o voice chat.

So yeah /shrugs, at this point not much else to say if you think you can't play the game properly w/o in game voice chat.

and all that is still possible like it always has been w/o voice chat.

So yeah /shrugs, at this point not much else to say if you think you can't play the game properly w/o in game voice chat.

Yeah I guess if you're going to deny the drastic differences in DayZ pre-PVC and after PVC, or the impossibility of communicating with someone via text if I'm already in combat, then yep, not much else to say.  Glad we agree.

was on planetside last night with 100 people on my side on one screen. very little PVC problems. I just went nuts with the voice responses from the game. in 10 seconds i heard

heavy spotted

i can heal you

enemy transport spotted

thanks

i can heal you

enemy max spotted

need a medic!

enemy down

etc. it wasn't PVC that drove me away, it was the stupid announcements. I don't know how to turn them off without still hearing targeting. ah well. But there were people talking in different spots but there's really not much to talk about, you're so busy.

Friendly

Friendly

*bang*

Idiot

This is my experience with voice chat in most games. Personally, I don't care either way. As people screaming, "help me, help me!" isn't going to do anything but give me a target to shoot at. I would say it isn't worth spending the time on if they don't already have something worked out for it. There are much higher priorities at the moment in my eyes.

Edited by MattVid

Vidrak - Member of

mael4.jpg

On the contrary, having an integrated voice chat system stands to offer several technical advantages over a third-party set-up;  after all, having a dedicated voice chat system in Crowfall means that everyone will be able to communicate without having to find compatible third-party software. This is especially important for players who encounter each other in the field for the first time, who wouldn't have any way to tell what third-party program (if any) the other player might be using in contrast to their own. As such, giving all players the means to communicate over the same voice chat system will do wonders for the community of Crowfall as a whole. With technology advancing all the time and the rise of VR gaming the truth is that voice chat can't remain an optional extra feature, those games best able to use integrated voice chat will thrive, while the rest will get left in the dust.

This is false unless you think there will be no text chat capabilities in game. That's a pretty huge and probably wrong assuption to make.

Let's break this down to brass tacks:

In game VOIP enabled by default is going to force me to mute more people (simple reason why) than I would end up adding to third party comms. Both require approximately the same amount of effort per player, and I am only going to have time to do both in spots/times where I am relatively safe (like most reasonable people) and won't have the time to do so in the middle of a fight so in game VOIP still loses bad here.

If I have to globally turn it off by default; then I may as well only use 3rd party VOIP, since the effort and risk of enabling it per person is still close to the same as adding them to third party VOIP, and 3rd party VOIP does not have the same tech issues as in game VOIP.

Plus I can get 3rd party VOIP for free. The cost of in game VOIP once again, WILL get passed along to the player in some fashion.

Edited by Overkillengine

I am only going to have time to do both in spots/times where I am relatively safe (like most reasonable people) and won't have the time to do so in the middle of a fight so in game VOIP still loses bad here.

This is where you lost me.  Are you equally as unable to type in a stressful situation, as you are to speak?  I find that hard to believe.  I talk on 3rd party VOIP while in combat all the time.  I never type in combat.

Plus I can get 3rd party VOIP for free.

Nitpicking, I know, but technically false.  Someone somewhere is paying for that voip server.  It may not be you, but it's certainly not free.

Let me rephrase a situation a bit.  Answer the following questions:

1. Do you believe a group need voice chat in order to work together effectively?

2a. If no, why not?

2b. If yes, do you believe you will always pre-make your groups with enough time to prepare 3rd party Voip? (Or put the other way, do you believe you will never group up with someone in a situation where there isn't time to share 3rd-party voip info?)

I feel like everyone agrees that #1 is yes.  So I wonder if people think that 2b is also a yes.  If not, I think that's where you see the advantage of PVC.  I see scenarios where I group up with people outside of my current Teamspeak, but where I don't have time to wait for them to get on my server.  For example, I'm going with my guild mates to assault a keep owned by guild B, and by coincidence as I approach the keep I run into guild C that I know to be relatively friendly, and also an enemy of guild B.  Together, we would have a much better time of taking the keep, and wouldn't end up accidentally killing eachother off in the process.

This is false unless you think there will be no text chat capabilities in game. That's a pretty huge and probably wrong assuption to make.

Let's break this down to brass tacks:

In game VOIP enabled by default is going to force me to mute more people (simple reason why) than I would end up adding to third party comms. Both require approximately the same amount of effort per player, and I am only going to have time to do both in spots/times where I am relatively safe (like most reasonable people) and won't have the time to do so in the middle of a fight so in game VOIP still loses bad here.

If I have to globally turn it off by default; then I may as well only use 3rd party VOIP, since the effort and risk of enabling it per person is still close to the same as adding them to third party VOIP, and 3rd party VOIP does not have the same tech issues as in game VOIP.

Plus I can get 3rd party VOIP for free. The cost of in game VOIP once again, WILL get passed along to the player in some fashion.

That's you, now how about everyone else?