Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phatcat09

Mega List of Things in MMO that seem silly.

What really grinds my MMO gears is when a game has both PvE and PvP content, but they blatantly make PvE the superior way to advance your character.  It's not that they want PvE to be just as viable...it's that they go out of their way to make PvP slower for leveling or gear acquisition. 

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

It's a MOBA.

It went from being a game about champions fighting in the fields of justice with unique and varied powers that you could lump together in unique combinations to try and destroy the other teams base to 

Your team MUST CONSIST of these 5 archetypes, go to these 3 locations in these specific pairings, and perform in these 5 specific ways for the entire match.

That happens in all MOBAs.  When people are competing at a high level, they do massive amounts of time and research into the most optimal way of winning.  Then everyone else that watches their streams or youtube etc. just copies them.  voila - generic meta is born.

I hate it too, btw.  Same thing exists in Smite, the one I play.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

Istanced world

Dungeon, Raids finders

Multiple difficulties for same raids and dungeons

Flying

Supporting solo content

POintless achievements like eat 20 different meals. Less is more.

I dislike many "features" in MMOs that I think are silly but since you asked for one I won't go on a rant.

Instances

I like dungeons to be open to all and not instanced

I don't want instanced housing (also want npc vendors at houses instead of an auction house).

I don't like instanced PvP, I want PvP to be open world 

It went from being a game about champions fighting in the fields of justice with unique and varied powers that you could lump together in unique combinations to try and destroy the other teams base to 

Your team MUST CONSIST of these 5 archetypes, go to these 3 locations in these specific pairings, and perform in these 5 specific ways for the entire match.

But that summarizes all MOBAs though, no?  I mean, to an extent.  If you're talking about truly competetive play and min/maxing.

Also, you CAN still do whatever you want in LoL...  you just have to either group with like-minded people, or suffer through the a-holes on your team yelling at you.

(Just saw that Mourne beat me to it.   =(  )

Edited by rhone

Gated terrain. If there's a tree blocking my way I'm sure as heck not going a mile around it to get to my destination. I'm going to climb that sucker. Then proceed to get stuck because I'm terrified of heights. *LF lumberjack, 1g per chop*

Hahaha.  That's awesome.  *Breaks out his axe.*

But seriously, I hate "this hill is one degree too steep for me so I'm going to slide allll the way down" geography (topography?).  I should be able to crawl my damn way up the hill if I so choose.

Fighting the evil Dark Knight, the boss of some zone. He is swinging his huge steel axe covered with glowing red runes, and he is decked out in black fullplate with a  greathelm.  I kill him and he drops 43 gold pieces.  

Where the hell did his armor and weapon go?

Then turning in the quest and proclaimed the greatest hero of the land. Until the next guy does the same quest and is proclaimed the greatest hero in the land. And then the next guy, 100 times a day for the next 10 years...

Then coming back 5 levels later and ending the evil Dark Knights periodic existence with an errant sneeze.

Click here to join the Crowfall Discord chat community

Sekket on Mourning. Bhorov on Test Server. Youma the Pirate wherever TSP has sailed.

That happens in all MOBAs. When people are competing at a high level, they do massive amounts of time and research into the most optimal way of winning. Then everyone else that watches their streams or youtube etc. just copies them. voila - generic meta is born.

I hate it too, btw. Same thing exists in Smite, the one I play.

Just no...

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

puppy punch Count: 28

You know what really Grinds my gears? The fact that a sword that's 2 million years old is automatically better than any modern innovation we make.

Oh what's that? Our scientist can make any improvements or study it?

HMMMMM.......

This goes hand and hand with "why hasn't technology progressed at all in X thousands of years?"

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

You don't agree that's what socially propagates a given meta?

Design influences social behavior, before social behavior dictates meta.

If the game were designed to be more open, then the stringent meta that exist would not occur.

Mind you the type of Meta present in LoL is a very stringent Meta. 

To the point that every minute of the game you can estimate where a champion will be just by name.

It is definitely possible to enforce a type of gameplay style where roles aren't so stringently pre-determined. As the Top, Mid, Jungle, ADC/SUP bot Meta.

I mean Riot enforces the Meta pretty overtly, they used to deny it, but it's not even a question anymore.

Edited by phatcat09

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

puppy punch Count: 28