Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stiler

The importance of lack of global "chat." Chat Bubbles and location voip.

In all my years of playing mmorpgs one of the things that seems to have been taken for granted and often not thought of as important is how talking is handled in the game. Most newer games just think "Global chat channels galore" and that's that without seeming to realize how chat can affect other areas of the game.

I'm sure most of you know how it tends to work, global chat, trade chat, you are always connected to everyone. You have a question, bam ask in global chat, you want to sell something, bam ask in trade chat, guilds want you to join them? They'll sure as heck spam away in global chat over and over.

In the earlier days of mmo's this wasn't always the case.

Some games relied on chat bubbles, when you spoke in game you physically had to be near someone for them to see what you were saying. There was no zone-based/general chat with people all talking about this, whining, asking to trade for that.

You might be saying, "So what? How does that add anything to a game to have a lack of global chat?

There are many ways this affects a game.

1. Having no global chat allows people to naturally converse and talk to the other players who are near them.

2. It can be used to drive players into certain parts of the world that are often never used. 

For example, message boards physically in a game (in a tavern or outside the bank or other areas) where players can post for guild recruitment (instead of spamming in chat or spamming other players to join without ever talking to them).

A marketplace/bazaar where players that sell wares (if they don't have a house to do so).

Obviously chat bubbles/text chat works, but what about VOIP?

I see the newer survival games like Dayz and Rust and think it would work great in an mmo that doesn't just have global chat. It's a step up from just chat bubbles and allows players to physically communicate with random people they come across or such without requiring everyone to join vent/teamspeak/curse/roger wilco or any other numerous voice programs that don't come close to having full game support out of the box.

This is just my opinion, curious to see what some of you think.

Nooope.

Having a bunch of people jumping your group all spamming chat bubbles and are playing ridiculous things over proximity ingame voip.

Consider the lowest common denominator with features like this.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

My opinion is that this kind of decision depends on the game, and can't be made prior to that.

That being saaaaaaaaid.

If a game does end up lending itself to be a no World chat game, then I am also against zone chat and region chat and outside of six feet of me chat.

(feel free to ask me why if you actually wanna know)

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

puppy punch Count: 28

I agree wtih agelmar on the voice.  Chat bubbles can be still done in a box, same as local chat does now in most MMO's.  It doesn't necessarily need to be in a bubble.

Edit: In otherwords, yes I agree that there should not be a zone chat channel AT ALL.  Makes the game feel like a chat room.

Edited by lucius

I'm not a fan of global chat either.   If there is global chat let it be available if you want to see it but you can mute it if not.  There SHOULD be an alliance/guild chat so you can talk to your team members wherever they are.

Maria Lightheart

I'm not a fan of global chat either.   If there is global chat let it be available if you want to see it but you can mute it if not.  There SHOULD be an alliance/guild chat so you can talk to your team members wherever they are.

I think guilds should have to earn that ability to be honest. There's needs to be a more stearne vetting process for guild making.

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

I think guilds should have to earn that ability to be honest. There's needs to be a more stearne vetting process for guild making.

That wouldn't accomplish anything.  Mandatory Teamspeak at all times then.  No guild chat is just extremely easy to circumvent.

That wouldn't accomplish anything.  Mandatory Teamspeak at all times then.  No guild chat is just extremely easy to circumvent.

Lol......you're funny. Mandatory Teamspeak.

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

chatbubbles (toggleable)

with chat log box

I dislike voip, it creates a much different atmosphere.  I also agree with stiler on global chats, I would much rather prefer close range shouts to a zone based chat system.

"Camouflage is the color of fear..  I have no need to hide from my foes.. I have no fear of death.  My colors I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, "I am proud to live, I am proud to die."

For example, message boards physically in a game (in a tavern or outside the bank or other areas) where players can post for guild recruitment (instead of spamming in chat or spamming other players to join without ever talking to them).

Nice idea. It'd add immersion to the game. 

Personally I think if they have any level of zone chat it should be just one zone where all the trading can occur, not each and every zone. This way there can be a zone dedicated to trade and sell via zone chat but please not every zone. 

I also think it would be AMAZING if Crowfall incorporated VOIP directly related to guilds and alliances (with a max alliances in one guild channel). People don't have to use it but since the vast majority of people use it I feel it needs to start being directly linked in game then having a background program that runs and I am sure they could tie it into a separate server so it doesn't lag out the game server. Why MMO haven't started doing this direct ingame is beyond me but it is the next logical step for communication ingame for the next gen of games.

Crowfall%20forum%20sig.png

Local chat bubbles is awesome (floating text like UO), global chat no (but i can accept regional race/faction chat).

Of course everything toggleable.

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice

Not sure why some of you are so adamantly against VOIP being supported through the game out of the box.

Obviously it should be something you'd be able to turn it on/off if you want and be able to quickly mute a specific players if they are doing something you don't like (and something you could easily report if they are saying something wrong, just like you can do with most spammers that type things in mmo's).

However having it supported (without requiring people to go through teamspeak, etc) allows people to chat and do things like...well we do in everyday life when we talk to people. Random conversations happen when you can use your voice to talk/greet people, not to mention how much quicker it is then typing.

To disallow that because you may occasionally come across one person who annoys you seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Edited by stiler

Yes

- Local chat

- Party chat

- Clan chat

No

- General chat

- Global chat

- Trade chat

- Faction chat

- Regional chat

Undecided

- Whisper

- VOIP, if implemented it should have toggle functionality just like the chatbubble

Player preference

- Chatbubble toggle

Edited by timetraveler

Think about all the implications of global and guild level chat on the "zerg" mechanics. Basically if you remove the ability to communicate you naturally remove the zerg out of the game. Gathering and coordinating large groups would require more effort and in most cases would be simply not worth it.

Ofmcourse assuming there are no other ways to communicate as well.

http://www.llts.org/Images/History/dreadalliance.jpg

That is probably the largest zerg in the early days of UO

Yes

- Local chat

- Party chat

- Clan chat

No

- General chat

- Global chat

- Trade chat

- Faction chat

- Regional chat

Undecided

- Whisper

- VOIP, if implemented it should have toggle functionality just like the chatbubble

Player preference

- Chatbubble toggle

Call me hardcore but I say no to anything but text bubbles over your head. Have messengers run around and carry orders if you want to coordinate large groups Edited by rajah