Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stiler

The importance of lack of global "chat." Chat Bubbles and location voip.

Sb chat sytem is decent, you have guild,nation chat in one window or a diferent one, it lets you make this by opening  another chat window and you can set that window to only show what you want

Global chat is local or shout if your near l

TSCCC-member

TheHateCrew- core member

Some of the most immersive games that I have played had only proximity chat. They also had no instance queuing system, or global trading system. It really lent to the authenticity and believable reality of the game world.

For a similar reason, I'm against having an in-game proximity VOIP system. The "RPG" part of MMORPGs is important to many players, including myself. I know that at least half of the people playing this game will be 12-year-old "squeakers", and I'm fine with that, but hearing their voices will completely ruin all attempts at role play.

Edited by ted pearl

Pm4QhLs.png

Yes
- Local chat (within talking distance)

- Regional chat (within shouting distance, especially in newbie areas)

- Whisper (Essential for building / maintaining friendships and or politics)
- Party chat
- Clan chat

- Toggleable chat bubbles

No
- General chat
- Global chat
- Trade chat
- Faction chat

Undecided
- VOIP.  I worry that it wont be as good as vent/ts/mumble anyway so it would be a waste of development effort.  That and I have a feeling it will affect performance, better to focus development on the gameplay and just let us run our 3rd party voice chat programs as usual.

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

Yes, please no global/zone chat. Nothing screws with being a sneaky a-hole killing people out in the woods for their hard earned bear hides like a global/zone chat.

Don't want them shouting out to everyone that I'm in X location or I am X class/build, etc. Within guild/alliance sure, but not every Tom, hooligan, and Harry within the zone.

<- Only wants to be a sneaky a-hole with bear cloak made out of your bear hides

We need chat bubbles. Period.

I played SWTOR and ESO, both OK games but the lack of chat bubbles made them feel like single player games, at least to me.

For me it's the most natural thing to LOOK at the toons while playing, this means that I won't notice when players try to interact with me in the General chat.

Devs, do not dare to release this game with AT LEAST an option to enable chat bubbles. ;)

I love the OP and could see the concept of limiting it to certain things really doing a lot for creating spots of interest. Can't go too far or third party elements will come in and just subvert the work you're doing though.

Edited by Zomnivore

i like voip for games honestly... mmorpgs should strive to be a social experience so I think this game should have it... obviously with the option to disable it if someone wants to. 

MMORPGs aren't just about playing with people you already know, they are about interacting with people you dont know...

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

In all my years of playing mmorpgs one of the things that seems to have been taken for granted and often not thought of as important is how talking is handled in the game. Most newer games just think "Global chat channels galore" and that's that without seeming to realize how chat can affect other areas of the game.

I'm sure most of you know how it tends to work, global chat, trade chat, you are always connected to everyone. You have a question, bam ask in global chat, you want to sell something, bam ask in trade chat, guilds want you to join them? They'll sure as heck spam away in global chat over and over.

In the earlier days of mmo's this wasn't always the case.

Some games relied on chat bubbles, when you spoke in game you physically had to be near someone for them to see what you were saying. There was no zone-based/general chat with people all talking about this, whining, asking to trade for that.

You might be saying, "So what? How does that add anything to a game to have a lack of global chat?

There are many ways this affects a game.

1. Having no global chat allows people to naturally converse and talk to the other players who are near them.

2. It can be used to drive players into certain parts of the world that are often never used. 

For example, message boards physically in a game (in a tavern or outside the bank or other areas) where players can post for guild recruitment (instead of spamming in chat or spamming other players to join without ever talking to them).

A marketplace/bazaar where players that sell wares (if they don't have a house to do so).

Obviously chat bubbles/text chat works, but what about VOIP?

I see the newer survival games like Dayz and Rust and think it would work great in an mmo that doesn't just have global chat. It's a step up from just chat bubbles and allows players to physically communicate with random people they come across or such without requiring everyone to join vent/teamspeak/curse/roger wilco or any other numerous voice programs that don't come close to having full game support out of the box.

This is just my opinion, curious to see what some of you think.

ok first its good in theory but unfoitunatly... if you have EVER played a h1z1 battle royal you will know the LAST thing we need in crowfall is JOHN CENAS THEME PLAYED INCESENTLY WHENEVER YOU RUN INTO SOMEONE BLARING AT EVERYONE AROUND.

Edited by chemosh

ok first its good in theory but unfoitunatly... if you have EVER played a h1z1 battle royal you will know the LAST thing we need in crowfall is JOHN CENAS THEME PLAYED INCESENTLY WHENEVER YOU RUN INTO SOMEONE BLARING AT EVERYONE AROUND.

But you can just disable that kinda comms if you want?

yes but  it puts you at a distinct disadvantage to do so as hearing it is information for your team.

Then leave it on... and if someone is annoying you it becomes a social issue with social ramifications with many choices on how to alleviate such a problem.

Agreeing with VN and Sciocco here, In-game proximity voice chat could potentially be awesome, with features for disabling and blocking specific accounts without hassle. No global chat or any crap like that. Bubbles could be a good complement though as voice chat isn't for everyone. If there's too many "squeakers" you have the luxury of killing them in the Dregs.

Member of The BlackHand Order

Everything and everyone in this game is so HARDCORE (at least they think they are) why not just kill the idiot and it stops (in h1z1 it was still active for a moment, right?).

I AM ME!
I love you all.

I don't know that I want Chat "Bubbles" as it just adds more clutter to the screen, though I am certainly ok with proximity chat and restrictions on 'global' chat.

I can NOT, however, support Proximity VOIP in any way, shape or form.  I immediately cringed at the thought of the garbage people would be spewing in public areas, blaring annoying sound clips... ugh...

I can just imagine the "most annoying sound in the world" scene from Dumb and Dumber...

2s922vm.png

Chapter Leader

I don't know that I want Chat "Bubbles" as it just adds more clutter to the screen, though I am certainly ok with proximity chat and restrictions on 'global' chat.

I can NOT, however, support Proximity VOIP in any way, shape or form.  I immediately cringed at the thought of the garbage people would be spewing in public areas, blaring annoying sound clips... ugh...

I can just imagine the "most annoying sound in the world" scene from Dumb and Dumber...

Well it's easy to solve... add chat bubbles as an option and the players that don't want them can turn the function off. Easy as that. :)