Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
the sorceress

Crowfall is like.. Comparison.

"It's like Game of Thrones meets EVE Online." - Crowfall.

But is it really? Now don't get all haterish on me  :P  but for me it can sound like Crowfall just compares themself to Game of Thrones because it's popular, and EVE Online, because it's also pretty popular. Now for me those two are almost nothing alike the Crowfall I've seen up until now.

Game of Thrones is mostly about court, diplomacy and backstabbing, none of which I think Crowfall really revolves around. I don't believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) that diplomacy will be in any way the same as in Game of Thrones (not saying there will be none) but saying that it is shaping up to not be even near that of Game of Thrones. It would also be hard since characters aren't permanently killable, so poison, backstabbing (taking someone down from a high position) would be kind of useless in a sense. 

EVE Online is a persistant world, with non-persistant "characters" when I say characters I mean ships, since ships can be destroyed, but you keep your character. In Crowfall you can't kill those characters, and instead it's the other way around with non-persistant world, and persistent characters. 

Now I'm not flaming Crowfall, I just want to find out what you guys think would be best to compare Crowfall with, not commercial-wise, but what is Crowfall most like?

For me Crowfall is like Warcraft 3 meets Minecraft.

Minecraft because we have a randomly generated world, with different resources, and we have some other force (not zombies like it is in Minecraft, but with the Hunger instead, as the evil force that tries to kill you.) You start a game naked, like in Minecraft, and proceed to build up etc.

Warcraft since warcraft for me is a fight for resources, playing these scenarios (that will end at one point) and it's a very strategical game, with positioning, tactics etc. that grasp around the fighting part of Crowfall. 

Now what do you think Crowfall is like? and I would also like to know if you disagree with me (but no lashing out towards me please x3! and sorry for gramma mistakes.)

There is already an ongoing thread from a while ago. Perhaps you can go check and see other people's opinions on Crowfall and what it should be like. I agree with Pang, CF is CF and so are a lot of games because they are unique in their own ways. And since the developers know more about the game than any player so far, I'd say Game of Thrones and EVE online is a likely mix for CF despite what players think.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

You know, we really struggled with this one.  I actually don't like the Hollywood style of pitching something, "It's like AVATAR meets LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN!", seems really goofy.

and then we did it anyway.  Because after a year of trying, we still couldn't figure out how to pitch the game in a single sentence.

The goal of a pitch line is to generate interest, to make it easy for potential audience members to filter themselves in or out based on the question, "is this something that I might be interested in?"

From that standpoint, the line works.  If you are into the idea of how elements from Game of Thrones might be mixed with elements from Eve Online, then you might be interested in Crowfall.  If not, then you probably won't be.

We came up with this pitch line when we created our kickstarter page, because we needed a single (short) sentence to entice people to check out the KS project page.  I figured we would retire it after that, but we still don't have anything better, so we carried it over to the main site.  

I keep expecting that we'll remove it at some point.  As the project gains notoriety, you should adapt the pitch line to keep it relevant to the audience.  You'll notice that we removed "A game from Todd and Gordon!" from the front page already.  When the project started, CROWFALL didn't mean anything to anyone.  So we used our names, so the game could "borrow" on our credibility.  Now that the kickstarter was successful, we removed our names because we feel like the project has it's own credibility, and doesn't need to lean on us personally.

...all that said, I still don't have an easy way to explain the game to people who know nothing about it.

This isn't exactly a new problem for me.  For the last 8 years, I've had the same trouble trying to explain Shadowbane to people.  The moment they hear MMO, they think "Oh, it's WoW."  Then I explain that SB had no quests, dynamic worlds, hierarchical guild structures, and that players could build and place castle walls and towers and buildings (and then burn them to the ground)... and they look at me like I'm crazy.

So, yeah: if you can think of a better way to encapsulate the idea of Crowfall to a random person who has never heard of it before, in a way that they instantly "get it" and can filter in or out of our community, I am are open to suggestions!  

Todd

ACE

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

Sure, there are aspects of Eve and Game of Thrones that are not carried over to Crowfall. But I certainly see the similarities.

On the broad scale, Eve is an economic and resource strategic game. The problem is that that strategy game currently isn't very good (changes to Sovereignty coming in June). Its resources and markets are top notch though. Eve is the game to emulate if you want a great player economy. Crowfall is going to have that player-sourced economy, and is trying very hard to create a great strategy game on top of it.

I certainly think ACE is invoking GoT because its place in popular culture, but polical backstabbing is going to happen in Crowfall. It happens in a lot of other games too, such as Eve. But as a marketing slogan, it makes sense to reference something many people understand. Plus, GoT is themed in that same seasonal, medieval fantasy setting.

I think Crowfall is also similar to Minecraft and WC3, as you mentioned. But I think there are striking differences too. Namely the emphasis on creation in Minecraft, and the very steam-lined strategy of WC3. Crowfall is going to be more deep than DuneCraft games, and have a more mature community than evoking Minecraft would capture.

Edited by motstandet

And definitely check out this quote

Crowfall: The Players don't really know a damn thing yet.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

Crowfall is like booking reservations two years in advance at a restaurant that hasn't been built yet and expecting your favorite meal, while starving in the meantime. 

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

Guys, go to the front page and refresh a couple times. The slogans are changing~

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

First guy had it pretty close. As much as I would love to see it be Game of Thrones, that level of intensity and intrigue will never really be achieved. I can backstab, slaughter and cheat my way to glory (like Game of Thrones), but even if I render someone completely naked, they will respawn, and will seek revenge. So instead of balancing saving my life and going after resources, I am only focused on the resources so where Game of Thrones is a show/book series where empires rise and fall, Crowfall will be an endless circle of resources going from one player to another, so not really an "unpredictability/intrigue" that GoT has.

First guy had it pretty close. As much as I would love to see it be Game of Thrones, that level of intensity and intrigue will never really be achieved. I can backstab, slaughter and cheat my way to glory (like Game of Thrones), but even if I render someone completely naked, they will respawn, and will seek revenge. So instead of balancing saving my life and going after resources, I am only focused on the resources so where Game of Thrones is a show/book series where empires rise and fall, Crowfall will be an endless circle of resources going from one player to another, so not really an "unpredictability/intrigue" that GoT has.

Plus, no sex scenes.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

A number of SB fans will claim that it's "...like Shadowbane v2.0"

I prefer that Crowfall establish its own identity, for which other MMOs compare itself to.

Edited by Nyt

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

I think it needed changing just because a comparison between two things isn't a very appealing slogan. But, it's EAXACTLY like Game of Thrones, because it will only be a matter of time before every character dies. ^_^

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.