Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A plea for no mini-map/radar (at least not one that shows other players/enemies).

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should the game have a mini-map/radar?

• Yes
    • No

One of the things I have grown to dislike not only in mmorpgs but other games (IE FPS Games, especially ones with competitive multiplayer) is the mini-map/radar which shows you enemies and other things that your character physically doesn't see.

Imagine you're playing a character who is focused on sneaking (as in physically sneaking, not "poof" invis). You are hiding around a corner or other thing like in metal gear solid/splinter cell, only for your enemy to simply have to glance down and see a red dot giving you away. Where's the thrill in this?

What does this add to the games in any way shape or form? To me it's basically a form of wall hacking only the game actually supporting it.

In most modern fps games if you ever truly watch people playing, their attention for a large majority of the time is not at the actual game but rather it's fixated on this tiny little round radar so they can spot where players are without actually having to physically see or looking for them.  I used to love playing online fps games back in the day, flanking around behind thei enemy, going slow and surprising them, this day and age that's all but gone in most newer fps games because of the radar.

Personally I'd like for players only to ever be seen by well....actually SEEING them, no mini-map/radar with bright dots showing them or anything. If someone wants to try and play sneaky they should be able to (Without resorting to devs having to give them bloody invis).

Just make sight/sound important, leave out any hand holding when it comes to spotting another players (at least ones not in your group).

Was going to click a dot, but decided against it. Better poll would be minimap, radar or neither. 

I'd be down for a minimap where entities only show up once you've spotted them and if they break LOS they disappear.

Radar where you see all the things no.

And no to no, because no. I like having an overview of the surrounding area. 

*edit And also no to shared awareness. Just because someone else can see something doesn't mean you should be aware of it. Unless we've all got magical communicators/HUDs.

Edited by puddles404

The HUD is meant to break the forthwall in my opinion.

They're tools for making the interaction with game less of a chore so you can spend more time on decision making rather than struggling with mechanics.

Removing the mini-map to me makes things unnecessarily more difficult. Just difficult for the sake of difficulty.

Edited by phatcat09

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

puppy punch Count: 28

SB at release had a minimap that showed blue and red dots. After a few years they removed the enemy dots.

This made the game more immersive and rewarded situational awareness.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

SB at release had a minimap that showed blue and red dots. After a few years they removed the enemy dots.

Omg, this. I personally would love an ally only mini map.

keep calm & crush

Someone else mentioned in a previous post having an ability of "awareness" or whatever and the better it is, the more detail shows up on your mini-map. Including, if you're good enough, enemies before they see you. Though they'd fade in and out as they gained and broke cover.

The only reason I like some info on opponents in the mini-map is that IRL, you can get that itchy feeling between your shoulder blades, that "I'm being watched" sensation that you just know is true. You don't get that in a game. So, if done right, the mini-map could give you something of that feeling.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Someone else mentioned in a previous post having an ability of "awareness" or whatever and the better it is, the more detail shows up on your mini-map. Including, if you're good enough, enemies before they see you. Though they'd fade in and out as they gained and broke cover.

The only reason I like some info on opponents in the mini-map is that IRL, you can get that itchy feeling between your shoulder blades, that "I'm being watched" sensation that you just know is true. You don't get that in a game. So, if done right, the mini-map could give you something of that feeling.

Track can achieve this feeling.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

a minimap dont need to show enemies lo

a minimap can show the topology of the landscape and include realtime positions for clan/party members

What does this add to the games in any way shape or form?

I do not disagree with you nor do I agree. It really depends on how it is done. The need for a radar is to reduce the need to communicate and to reduce the '360 degree spins'... It becomes extremely annoying when you have a constant need for 360 degree spins to actually understand what's happening around you.

Also, I'd say for myself, I play MMORPGs over shooters as they usually require lower APM / less reflex plays and more of an understanding of what is happening and winning or losing is more based on decisions I make and strategy. There are pros and cons to having a radar... but to me, what really matters is that in the end, I can actually look at my screen without feeling dizzy and not being at a disadvantage. Also, depending on the level of strategy you want in the game and the size of battles, you must provide players with tools to coordinate themselves. I don't consider it 'fun' to have a general who actually sits his character on top of a hill to be able to coordinate his troops via a voice chat that quickly becomes chaotic due to the too big need to communicate to be competitive.

So, I really don't say just: REMOVE IT ALL!!! it can really lead to bad moments. Games are meant to be fun in the end and we all look for something different, I know on my side that I play video games as a relaxing experience and the minimap helps with that.

Edited by newface

I still remember the days when the "Blue Dots" were removed from the map and the role of the scout drastically changed in ShadowBane and while there were a lot of people screaming because that safety cushion got pulled away under their bum, I really welcomed this added piece of "use your skills, not your computer display"

I plead for a map - one that shows terrain, maybe resources once I've been there so I have an idea of where exactly I'm running around.

No such things as indicators for people, except for maybe the guys I am grouped with.
Certainly the option to set a marker on the map so a party leader can set a rallye-point at which to meet or a scout can set a marker at a place where he saw something that he needs to make the team aware of.

On the radar-aspect, I guess it would be an interesting idea to have some form of telescope utility on your castle wall that would actually populate friend/foe dots on a map when used.

It also made having classes with tracking ability essential. I like the idea of only friendlies showing up on the map, but, with the caveat that there be trackers that can help watch over a group so, the enemy doesn't always have the element of surprise.

Not sure how many MMOs have played but generally mini-maps don't show enemy player locations at least not stealthed players. It'll show group/guild/friendly player sure but never enemy players. No need to throw the whole thing out just because of one feature thats not even really a part of it.

I like having a minimap beause it actually takes skill to use.  The thing that normally sets good FPS players apart from worse ones, is minimap and situational awareness.  The minimap can be the most informative part of the screen while playing, and same can be said for MMOs.

For instance, Shadowbane's minimap had a coordinate system.  Longitude and Latitude.  You could quickly give a position by saying a series of numbers.  Skilled players would then be able to know exactly what direction they needed to run.

Not to mention your 'sneaking' class could have a skill that prevents them from being on a minimap.

HfLOYLH.png

I like having a minimap beause it actually takes skill to use.  The thing that normally sets good FPS players apart from worse ones, is minimap and situational awareness.  The minimap can be the most informative part of the screen while playing, and same can be said for MMOs.

For instance, Shadowbane's minimap had a coordinate system.  Longitude and Latitude.  You could quickly give a position by saying a series of numbers.  Skilled players would then be able to know exactly what direction they needed to run.

Not to mention your 'sneaking' class could have a skill that prevents them from being on a minimap.

I definately want a coodinate based map system, because as you said, pinpoint accuracy.

These days MMO's have a lot of 3rd party programs developed quickly, that would easily show the locations of other players in the near vicinity.  Why not cut out the middle man and just give it to everyone?

"Camouflage is the color of fear..  I have no need to hide from my foes.. I have no fear of death.  My colors I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, "I am proud to live, I am proud to die."

I would probably require a mini map to navigate. Makes it a lot easier to understand the topology around you. As for player bleeps on it, I would say yes to group/party/guild/nation members and even NPCs, but not enemies, unless: they attack and make their presence known; are displayed due to a special ability such as tracking or extra sensory awareness (key point SPECIAL); or they make noise by casting or *wishlist* because the terrain makes noise as they walk behind you.

It is my duty to cleanse this land of the unworthy. It is my goal to make this world burn. Your tainted flesh shall kindle the flames.

smf_banner_copy4_copy.jpg