Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
voodoom

Race Restrictions? NO!

Hope we don't have all these restrictions concerning certain races, like if I want to play a minotaur healer, even if there are better healer classes I should be able too, or tine gnome warriors, or troll mages whatever!!

OO! hell no!! i don't wana see any restriction based upon a pay wall,i hope it will be good, maybe we get a review on youtoube by AngryJoe or TotalBiscuit,when its gona be out

TSCCC-member

TheHateCrew- core member

Hope we don't have all these restrictions concerning certain races, like if I want to play a minotaur healer, even if there are better healer classes I should be able too, or tine gnome warriors, or troll mages whatever!!

I can go with this IF the following features are implemented:

- Racial Attributes that truly differ

- Racial stats being capped by race

Say a human (the standard) has 100 maximum int, now a minotaur's maximum int should be 60. For your gnome warrior, gnomes have maximum STR of 60.

Now, this brings up an issue. If a player starts the game with let's say your gnome warrior whilst being completely clueless of the games systems, he's automatically rolling a character that is gimped and can never compete in PvP if he takes the strength route. The question is was that the players fault for being ridiculously stupid, or the systems fault for leading a clueless player to their demise?

I have to strongly agree! I can't wrap my head around just because I'm a certain race choice, my skills are limited. In what world is that a thing. The more choices, and possibly more important, the more freedom we have in character customization the better the game will be.

So why do other games limit our choices. Two reasons.

One, it "dumbs" the game down so that new gamers can pick up the game mechanics with ease. Game developers do not want to discourage gamers with complex mechanics and a steep learning curve. I understand this but let's make this game deep and rewarding. Let's up the bar and show that intelligent game design, even if complex, can succeed.

Two, balance. But I know this can be addressed. An active dev team can tweak their game and give us a balanced PvP environment. In fact, without balance most PvP focused titles fade into the shadow. Hence the fear to take such risks.

We DO want something different! Restrictions only handcuff innovative game play.

keep calm & crush

If the game has a race and class selection then I prefer restrictions as well.  I also like advantages and disadvantages to being each race / class.  I'm a believer in knowing what your enemy is without having to click on them or wait to see what kind of crazy abilities they have.  Reducing the number of classes that each race will assist in this.  If you see a shade, you know he can only be a couple of things.  Shadowbane did quite a good job at this actually.  It was easy to tell the difference between a mino barbarian and a mino doomsayer for example.  Spell effects and class armor also assisted in this. 

Why this is important is because of re-playability.  If you see a bunch of golden plated elves with long swords charging in, you knowing the strengths and weaknesses of this group and that gives you the ability to devise a strategy and in turn a counter strategy for the fight.  Having a hodge podge of characters loading on the screen with no indication of what they are capable of is a bad foundation for a guild vs guild game.  You'll be sitting there after the battle reading through combat logs like, ohhh that guy had a backstab.

Edited by tsp_maj

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

I liked it the way it was in SB, different races have different stats, certain class restrictions, maybe add racial skills/traits. I like when there is a difference to the races more than just the way they look.

Invincibility lies in the defence, the chance of victory; in the attack.

I think there should be restrictions, but they should be limited and they must all be logical. Like if something contradicts the game lore, I don't want it to be an option in-game. I don't want that.