Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/13/15 - Character Creation Preview

Ok for those going 'Oh no there is gender lock class/professions here, it can't work, it's a no no, the end of the world is nigh, etc...'

1. Take a deep breath and exhale slowly

2. Gender locks have in the past and can in the future work in MMO's if the game has a deep lore/mythos for it. Back to Shadowbane for example:

Dwarfs were male only because the lore stated they were made that way by a god from stone:

The Shaper's Sons, Born of Stone[edit]

The Sons of Stone are unlike any other people in our World, for they alone neither age nor breed. Legends say that Dwarves are not born, but rather that their entire race was molded by the hand of Thurin the Strong, the truest of the All-Father's great Companions. Crafted from the Stone of the Earth, the Dwarves were charged by their maker to tend to the Great Fires that boil in the belly of the World. For most of recorded history the Dwarves worked in secret, delving vast halls, building wondrous citadels, and mastering the arts of mining and forgecraft. In the days since the Turning, the mysterious Dwarves have finally returned to the surface World, and the peoples of the World have come in contact with their mysterious ways for the first time in Ages. There are no females among their kind, and they produce no offspring. Dwarves do not seem to die of old age, and it may be that all of them have existed since the day of Creation. When a dwarf dies, the entire race mourns: for that is one less dwarf that our World shall ever know.

Huntressess were female only because they are that worlds Amazon's and their Goddess wanted it that way:

Champion of the AmazonsI am Lyssa, daughter of Neela, daughter of Hreena, Huntress of the Palomi Tribe. It has been thirteen summers since I passed the trials of arrow, eye, and fire and earned my place in the hunt. Thirteen times I have joined the Long Hunt, and thirteen times I brought down worthy prey and brought back meat to feed my people. I walk in daylight and in darkness, unseen and unknown. Phaedra the First Huntress taught her Amazons how to survive beneath the Emerald Canopy long ago, and we, the daughters of her daughters' daughters' move through the darkest forests without fear. Nothing that walks, swims, or flies through the jungle can escape us, once we mark it as prey.

Furies were Female only because they were the Amazon's "wise women":

Caller of the Storm

For millennia the Amazons have dwelt apart from the peoples of the World, their great empire hidden in the heart of the impenetrable jungles of the South. Through all that time, powerful Wise Women have protected them, acting as the keepers of ancient secrets and powerful magic. It is said that a millennium ago an Amazon sculptor named Lyestra discovered the energy locked within everything, energy that can be used for creation and transformation, but which can only be released through the destruction of the vessel that holds it. The Amazon witches named this force the Fury, and adopted its name as their own. Weather witches without equal, Furies call forth the destructive potential hidden within the sky, unleashing storms, gales, and floods upon their enemies. Legend has it that the ancient Furies could also call forth power from earth and fire, but that these ancient secrets have been lost.

I do not expect to see a lot of classes/professions gender locked and those that are there will be non locked ones that can and do fill the same role in GvG/Siege warfare, Also keep that in mind folks that a GvG/Siege PvP game everything is balanced for that not 1 v 1 like you see in GW2/WoW.

Just to be clear, the Amazons were a guild-type in Shadowbane and it was a Profession (Advanced Class) that was restricted (Fury & Huntress). They all started as the same Base Class as others. That said, it could be that Crowfall has a lot more bases so they can be a little more restrictive in some of them. We only had four in Shadowbane (Fighter, Rogue, Healer, Mage). The image shows at least 12+...

Sean aka Ashen Temper | http://www.seandahlberg.com/

Without the Player, there is no Game!

****, I actually really like the art style. Hyper-realism is overrated. 

Really interested to know more about the Archetypes and how much flexibility we have within them

agreed.  I'm really glad my graphics card wont be wasted on unnecessary details, save it for the combat!! thanks!

anyone get a Diablo style action RPG vibe from this?

This makes me very happy as i love Action RPG's and always thought there was something that could be done to combine the MMO and ARPG styles.

Please let me choose between male/female for my archetype - I'm fairly sure you guys are already considering this - but just incase, I wanted to put my name in the hat for it.

Looking forward to seeing a game play video, as I hope it's not too cartoony - I can't stand to play the WoW art anymore. ;)

Edited by shaylynne

rSHxVEY.gif

I dislike the cartoony-take, although it's not cartoony enough to ruin the entire feel.  It's still well made stuff, just wish it was darker.  Aside from that, I'm really surprised to see how shadowbane-influenced the character creation is.  This project definitely has my attention now.  I'm legitimately excited to see where it goes.  

I really like the mention of hunger resistance.  I hope it's part of an expanded logistics requirement.  Being able to build farms, towns requiring food supply, and so on, are great things that shadowbane really missed out on.  More RTS related stuff that creates a purpose to raid towns, and so on, is just great.

Edited by frobobo

Looks quite good.

I'm sure there will be some that won't find the art style very appealing, but, I don't mind it. It looks good.

Might just be me but I get a slight Darksiders 2 kind of art style vibe.

Either way, looks promising. Looking forward to more in the future.

I'm italian. Are there another italian players ?

certo

Se un uomo non è disposto a lottare per le proprie idee, o le sue idee non valgono nulla o non vale nulla lui. EZRA POUND

MEMENTO AUDERE SEMPER

its just a teaser.. and we cant see all there is to choose from.

i love the creation points so we can learn and have the hours in chat to improve our characters

now bring on the game

~Vada~

my previous signature did not contain nudity... words covered the good bits but alas it is gone....

signx50_zps5b5a8244.jpg

I love the art style! it looks great and resembles Everquest nexts style which I also like. The warmth and food resistance make me think there will be survival elements. Having to wear proper clothes for cold or hot climates and having to eat to maintain stamina or avoid fatigue effects.

Though what really worries me is that the Archtypes are gender/race locked. I don't want my character creation experience to be like selecting a MOBA character and see multiples of me everywhere I go, that's a huge turn off for me. While I dont need 2 million character creation options I would at least hope for gender/race and basic face, skin, hair options etc.

Please let me choose between male/female for my archetype - I'm fairly sure you guys are already considering this - but just incase, I wanted to put my name in the hat for it.

Looking forward to seeing a game play video, as I hope it's not too cartoony - I can't stand to play the WoW art anymore. ;)

Seems really odd to have an MMO where you can't pick your gender. Is this more MOBA? I feel like i'm missing something with this game. 

Edited by wreckatron

Aye where's the Lightning and Shadow damage? D: Fire and Ice is way to stereotypical IMO

Remember the description on the main Crowfall Homepage? "A simulation of a living fantasy world" or something like that. Interesting. And Archetypes. Again interesting. Now about those Flags....

ϟhαdσwßłαdə

Hunger resistance, fire resistance, ice resistance....

Fires, blizzards, famine....hell yeah.  Let that be what it is.

I can see it now...the betrayal part of the "welcome" email could fit well here....Man I hope that's what this is. 

Mass starvation, burned corpses, frozen (in horror) bodies....that would be delicious.

Aye where's the Lightning and Shadow damage? D: Fire and Ice is way to stereotypical IMO

Remember the description on the main Crowfall Homepage? "A simulation of a living fantasy world" or something like that. Interesting. And Archetypes. Again interesting. Now about those Flags....

If you notice the stats pane... there's lots more scrolling down to be done...

Sweet, I can't wait to see what else this game has in store down the road. It's already looking like it could be a pretty cool game with a lot of interesting mechanics and play styles.

agreed.  I'm really glad my graphics card wont be wasted on unnecessary details, save it for the combat!! thanks!

and I agree with that as well, I think the graphics should be saved for when it's time to crash down on opponents! like I said, can't wait to see more updates on development of Crowfall!

Edited by decender12