• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/13/15 - Character Creation Preview

From massively.com comments on this article:

CrowingOne Featured
16 hours ago
@breetoplay @CrowingOne I am disappointed. This has nothing I want in a Crow MMO. No flying. No simple tool crafting. No epic avian-navigation public quests. No grubs or shiny harvesting.

I mean, they don't even have player nesting!

IMHO funniest reaction on this screenshot so far. :)

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

1. I would have said knight, but that's already been labeled 2. He looks weatherbeaten and worn down. Wearing armor. Maybe instead of knight he's just a plain old soldier?

2. Knight

3. I'm thinking barbarian. Big, angry, two handed weapons, rage mechanics, that sort of thing.

4. The firemage/runecaster guy from the first banner image. Nukes and stuff using rune-like casting mechanics.

5. Lighter weight armor, that strap across the chest could be holding up a quiver. I'm thinking she's an archer type.

6. That guy looks like a cleric or paladin to me. The armor is a bit more fancy and is that just his forearm or a hammer on his left hip?

7. Thief/ninja/rogue type

8. Badger in armor (thanks Chrissy!). With the unique abilities of a badger, would they make him a sapper?

9. It's a freaking anthropomorphic deer. He might have a hood and, being a deer, could maybe be a ranger type?

10. Ice mage to counter the fire guy in #4.

11. Nature type mage or possibly druid?

12. He's buff, stripped to the waist and is he blind? I'm thinking monk.

This guy is reminding me so much of that guy at spot #6, at least they have same beard lol. Anyways, same body type, the background looks like arena...

ForumHeader_7.jpg

I agree with this.  As in real life, virtual worlds are made up if all sorts of different characters.   We have very little info re them and this is all speculation.  If some are offended by clothing or lack thereof then choose something different.  To expect all male or all female characters to follow a "dress code"  well, frankly, that type of thinking does need to remain in the spiral.  

I didn't say anything about all, btw. I only asked for choices for those that prefer it. Besides most females we can see look just fine to me :D

24px5oh.jpg

I hoped in more "mature" graphics, this gives me too cartoonish feeling. But I can handle it, I haven´t seen how the whole world will look like and I believe it will be good :)

Hunger resistance and warmth conversion looks really promising! Would love to have there more things like this about condition of your character, for expample some diseases would be interesting.

Nice catch.  So, I would also expect a centaur archer if you scroll down on the archetypes!

Speaking of centaurs, anyone else think the character below might be a centaur based on his head height in relationship to the mounted knight?  He also has that free and wild look (no armor, long hair).

I wonder the archetype on the second Row, middle portrait shows what could be a melee centaur (same beard style).

ForumHeader_7.jpg

rSHxVEY.gif

Speaking of centaurs, anyone else think the character below might be a centaur based on his head height in relationship to the mounted knight?  He also has that free and wild look (no armor, long hair).

I wonder the archetype on the second Row, middle portrait shows what could be a melee centaur (same beard style).

ForumHeader_7.jpg

Yeah, looks like you could be right. But now when I imagine playing as a horse (with human body on one end), its´ kind of weird :D

I didn't say anything about all, btw. I only asked for choices for those that prefer it. Besides most females we can see look just fine to me :D

I have read and reread my comment and perhaps may be going blind , I can't see where I referenced anything you directly said.  Some does not have to equal you.   If you saw yourself in my comment ,  you and your comments did not even cross my mind.  Choices I agree are good.  One of the devs posted on another thread last night "We're going for a more mature audience, we haven't got an official rating for the game just yet."  so I would expect that the costumes , gear, clothing, what have you will follow along the same lines.  Speaking for myself only, I love them all :)

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I have read and reread my comment and perhaps may be going blind , I can't see where I referenced anything you directly said.  Some does not have to equal you.   If you saw yourself in my comment ,  you and your comments did not even cross my mind.  Choices I agree are good.  One of the devs posted on another thread last night "We're going for a more mature audience, we haven't got an official rating for the game just yet."  so I would expect that the costumes , gear, clothing, what have you will follow along the same lines.  Speaking for myself only, I love them all :)

I didn't take it personally at all. I was well aware you were not talking about me. I was just clarifying my point springboarding off of what you said. My apologies if it seemed I was reacting to you directly. I was merely adding to the conversation.  :)

24px5oh.jpg

Looks like League of Legends. A lot. Funny when you consider LoL and WoW (Crits!) are the two games specifically mentioned by devs as games they're NOT trying to emulate.

Creation points are definitely a good thing though.

2eyfm20.jpg

Hmm.  Where to start.

Art style is promising.  Cartoony and fairly easy from a graphics rendering standpoint means you can put a lot of people and objects on the screen together, so sieging can be large scale and still perform well.  Thats a good sign.  From an ascetic point of view, seems like theres a good bit of variety, though mostly on the darker side of the color spectrum, which makes sense from a fantasy world perspective.  I recall one of the original SB developers criticizing that world as too dark and miserable, a concern that never really made much sense to me, nor did it make me not want to spend time immersed in that world, so cautious optimism there.  

Crit.  Ick.  Crit is for PVE games, it opens up a lot of fun build possibilities in games like Path of Exile, where crit and its synergies can be fun and viable alternatives to non crit builds, but its inherently an all or nothing mechanic.  RNG Crit chance has ZERO place in a competitive PVP game.  Absolutely none.  Get rid of it now.  If it makes sense to have crit-like mechanics from a class, weapon, power, or skill perspective, then build that into the class/powers/weapon system itself.  Backstab is an easy example.  It makes sense to do big damage, and have some strong secondary negative effects, but THE PLAYER should have to be in the right position, with the right pre-reqs, to pull off the big damage hit.  It shouldn't be a random lucky roll to suddenly do double, triple, quadruple damage.  If the design of your fireball tossing mage class suggests it should have a way to get big damage hits (crits) build it in such a way that the PLAYERS can control when and how it happens.  For instance, each consecutive hit with a fire spell applies a further penalty on the targets fire resistance.  You can still get big damage numbers, but both the attacker and defender know and can control it.  Attacker has a reason to keep punishing the same target with fire spells, and defender knows that if he can interrupt that stream of fire damage, he can COUNTER the big damage that will keep coming in.  You can't counter RNG crit.  I will quickly find other things to do with my time if a post mortem to a GVG fight goes something like this:   "Well, the other guys played that about as well as they could, if not for us getting lucky and all hitting for crits on their healer in the first 5 seconds and dropped him really fast, we prolly would have lost that one".  Decide combat by player actions and reactions, not by RNG crit mechanics.  Dump Crit entirely.  /soapbox off

Warmth Conversion and Hunger.  Could be interesting mechanics, and could throw things really off if not done properly.  If hunger is properly tied into a logistics/resource system that helps promote territory control and resource control, that could be very cool.  If its overdone it could easily be a huge nuisance.  Guessing it will apply at least modifiers to regen/recovery rates?  This is one to watch carefully.  Could be cool, could be game breaking. 

Warmth Conversion?  Have several ideas, but I'm guessing this is more complex than the description sounds, and may have nothing to do with temperature.  I'll wait for more info.  

Power Cooldown . . .  Here's hoping thats a global modifier and every power has its own and independant cooldown.  Please say no to a "put only 10 powers on your hotbar and cycle them in the most efficient manner" combat system.  Give us tons and tons of powers, and let us figure out that best way to combine and use them.  Shadowbane completely got this one right, and no other game since has.  Don't go down that road!  Build on the skill/power system that SB has and you enable far more diverse and reactive gameplay than anything in the past 10 years.

Power Damage:  Combined with the cool down stat above, could be a very interesting mechanic.  Can you boost power damage at the cost of power cooldown, and vice versa?  Are the Archetypes locked in on those values, or can different stats, training, powers, promotion levels (even stances maybe????) effect damage and cooldown?  Would add a great deal of customization if you could make a knight who hit hard, but had to wait longer to reuse powers, versus my knight who is specced to be able to use his powers quickly, but do less damage with each.  This could be a very interesting and powerful mechanic for player and build diversity, excited to learn more.  

Dash count, presumably used by movement based skills, and assuming that different classes will have different max dash count numbers, and different speeds in which they regain them.  Could be very cool.  

Life on Hit:  Assuming this doesn't apply on every hit, but rather its a base stat for life/mana/stamina/charge stealing abilities?  Quite a prominent place for a stat that doesn't seem to be that important.  Certainly bears watching.  

Elemental damage/resists.  Wonder if the rest of that menu that isn't visible in the screen shot has just different damage/resist types, or if there are other stats down there as well.  Could be a lot of different damage types, which I view as a good thing for character/build/spec diversity.

Appears to be 24 archetypes, 12 with avatars shown.  HOORAY for LOTS of class options.  Here's hoping there's at least that many options for promotion classes (and that leveling is pretty quick and easy so that players can have many, many characters).  First line seems to be fighter types, as does at least the left 2 on the second line.  The third one could be a fighter/rogue hybrid, and the fire tossing mouse is a total wild card to the whole idea.  Third line seems to be mage types, would love a screenshot of the second half of the list. . . .  cmon guys.  

All in all, a lot to be encouraged by in one simple screenshot, and of course begs many more questions than it answers.  

Edited by silk

X88mIYV.jpg