Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/13/15 - Character Creation Preview

Yeah, looks like you could be right. But now when I imagine playing as a horse (with human body on one end), its´ kind of weird :D

I wonder what is down at the bottom of that elk/reindeer-headed archetype...

rSHxVEY.gif

Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback on the UI direction!

I'm definitely not going for the ol' parchment and tome look. It is a really interesting challenge to keep things modern and streamlined without it veering outside of the world of fantasy. Skyrim, Witcher and Dragon Age are great examples of fantasy game UIs that have pulled off this aesthetic well. Why not learn from the best?

Luckily, we have such great character paintings and models. I don't mind pushing the UI as far out of the way as possible to let the rest of the visuals take center stage.

Talk to us about character customization options (as much as you can please)

Funny enough, I had a debate (with myself) last night while driving home about a slower-based vs an action-based MMO combat system. Hardware, software, and ISPs have come a LONG way since the early days of MMOs and multiplayer gaming and it might be more viable now. Not sure if I'd want a twitch-based game like "Boom, headshot, you're dead"... but at the same time, wouldn't it be fun to have a game where someone does a sword-swipe and you can actually counter it?

Granted, we're probably not quite there yet... but I'm not really looking for an MMO where I stand still and mash buttons but neither am I looking for one where I'm constantly jumping and strafing. Looking for something in-between those two points.

Darksouls 1/2? Could be a reasonable template for what you're describing? Edited by mosesstone1980

Yes, i agree with you on this, i dislike tab targeting games, they aren't skills based because once you lock the target you have secure hits based on RNG factors, rotating skills 1-2-3-4-5, and following projectiles that spin even if you move,  this will be the worst case scenario.

I prefer action combat with dodge, active blocking/parry and free slashing/casting while moving.

Cross fingers. :)

I think you and I will be great friends here on these forums.

That interface and art style is absolutely beautiful. I'm actually very glad you didn't jump for the whole "realistic" graphic style because to me... that's rather boring - y'know? 

Can't wait to see more previews though! I'm now violently shaking in my chair because of the excitement.

The absolutely wonderful and intriguing at a glance:

- Creation points, promotion classes, way more than four original archetypes; with a scrollbar for more even!... Takes what Shadowbane did to the next level.  Oooooo what kind of classes could await from so many archetypes?  Exciting!!

- Warmth conversion and hunger resistance, two stats you don't see everyday and certainly make one wonder about the application in-game to come.  Considering there is a scrollbar for the stats, I'm sure we'll see other damage resistances too.  Super curious about this.

- Character-creation UI, super-clean, yet you can relate it to the overall style of the game with stylized iconography.  Very reminiscent of Skyrim.  One suggestion, make sure your fonts aren't too, too thin.  Not everybody has a giant monitor to game on. :)

- Awesome character design and art style, from the portraits to the model itself.  Reminds me a lot of the balanced look of The Clone Wars series, halfway between stylized and realistic.  Exactly what I was hoping to see and a game like this can benefit from it.  

- Females in portraits look empowered without being ridiculously sexualized.  Always a plus.  Based on dev responses I have hope characters can be more covered if they so choose.  Male or female hehe :P

- Races other than humans, absolutely yes!  We are humans in our everyday life.  It's nice to have a way to step out of that normalcy. 

Questions this leaves in my mind:

- I know this has already been discussed ad nauseum, but I'm curious too.  Male and Female for all archetypes, or gender locks for some based on in-game lore a la Huntress/Fury/Warlock from SB?  Either way is good.  I doubt it will be MOBA-esque or locked completely.  That's too limiting for an MMORPG at this point in time.

- Additional customization options following archetype selection?  How in-depth can we get?  Is my character going to be relatively unique in appearance and build?  Will we get to be creative without being cookie cutter and still be viable?

- Will there be race restrictions for some classes like in Shadowbane?

- Crests on the shield and armor pauldron, guild/nation crest or class-related?

- Where are my Aracoix and Minotaurs? ;)  Scroll down, lemme see more!   :P

I am happy with the direction so far.  Looking forward to seeing more.  

Last thought... I chuckle for the thought that the art is "cartoony."  Something can be stylized and still appear realistic in how it's animated and how it combines with the world it's meant to exist in.  Yes the characters are stylized in face, but the proportions seem realistic.  And overall, I really think folks should calm a bit before immediately writing things off because of a single screenshot.  If you see more in time and decide it's not your thing, no worries.  

I really like it.  This just makes me want to see more.  Big bearhugs, Devs!!  *squish* :)

wwsigcrowfall.jpg
                         ~For the Honor and Memory of Ahz Badaxe~

Awesome, now I'm wondering, what if you wanna be that class (not sure what to call it) type but be a girl, will that option be available? If not I'm ok with it, the girl characters look cool. Also, will we be able to buy new armor/clothes for our char? (Not expecting these to be answered right away, maybe next teaser? Just something to think about!)

I say to you: the Hunger is not your enemy. Your enemy walks among you, charming and handsome, with a tongue full of lies.

Not sure what everyone is looking for as far as graphics. Want it to melt your video card?

On Gender lock, like I said in the moba thread, it's possible they mixed up the genders so you could see them. Almost every game starts out by showing the male versions of characters/base classes/etc. In the preview, they thought it'd be better to show some gender diversity. Not entirely gender lock, just showing you it. I'm sure gender will play a role in lore along the way.

Looks like some of the races are getting slightly inspired by Narnia?

Well that screen shot sure is a hype killer for me. :/ I've never liked this cartoon type of graphics so its  1st thing  that hits me. Seems like character customizing will be limited to using  "skill points"  (hope i'm dead wrong with this!) and  that makes me wonder. If we can have barely any impact on our character look/build, is it going to be same for game world? 

Well, i'm not giving up hope yet but this ss sure was turn off for me.

Bummer... I am not a fan of this Everquest Next look... :/

Me either, I am still going to participate in the beta and see where they go with the looks though, I am hoping they add more texturing, even though the characters shape and items look toony, maybe they can spin something into it to make it look cool and not like WoW.

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

Not sure what everyone is looking for as far as graphics. Want it to melt your video card?

Not sure why everyone jumps to the conclusion that those who dislike the look want something that takes 3 Titans to run :rolleyes:.  Maybe they don't want to play a toony MMO for once.  I realize everything is toony to an extent, but this doesn't push the envelope, it's the same toony design.  Still holding out for in world screenies and for the final polished version.

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

Me either, I am still going to participate in the beta and see where they go with the looks though, I am hoping they add more texturing, even though the characters shape and items look toony, maybe they can spin something into it to make it look cool and not like WoW.

Stylized graphics do not necessarily mean singular molds of textures. V.s. "realistic" graphics. You can have a more dark and toony type art direction while still having extreme attention to detail as well as multiple texture molds per gear/item/bodypart. Take Guild Wars 2 for example or even some single player RPG's like darksiders etc.. 

At the end of the day its all based on the artists and the engines.... No one artist is the same, some are influenced by others but I see Crowfalls art direction going heavily based on enviornment.. Lots of shading, lighting, filters... i.e. if you're in a dark zone the entire tone of the game changes with it... but you won't know until we see more. I just feel as though its sort of close minded to reference one person's art style based on someone else's game.

Shelter

Not sure why everyone jumps to the conclusion that those who dislike the look want something that takes 3 Titans to run :rolleyes:.  Maybe they don't want to play a toony MMO for once.  I realize everything is toony to an extent, but this doesn't push the envelope, it's the same toony design.  Still holding out for in world screenies and for the final polished version.

Again... There is a VERY large market of non toony looking MMO's out there in this EXTREMELY saturated market.

Tera, Aion, TESO, BDO, Archeage, RIFT... just to name a few bigger names.

Shelter

- This a functional prototype of character creation (with actual 2D and 3D game assets), not just a mockup. The character (the Knight archetype) is a fully modeled and animated avatar.  

So, when can we get OUR hands on the prototype character creation tool?