Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/13/15 - Character Creation Preview

ascetic - characterized by or suggesting the practice of severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons.

aesthetic - concerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty.

Thanks for the spell check, evidently I make the mistake quite often.

Thou my meaning is still clear.

Fine fine these guys then with a nice 2 hand  mace or something: 

clive-standen-vikings-shirtless.jpg

That's better but not as good as this:  http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/8b/68/43/8b68438326b6bc402475a2cf3340ddc5.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.pinterest.com/jewelbug1/hotties/&h=314&w=236&tbnid=wQun8mStE8wQmM:&zoom=1&docid=NU32yC7yah2GaM&hl=en&ei=m4C5VI6rOYHOgwSWv4PoAg&tbm=isch&ved=0CB0QMygBMAE

Or this:  http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/45/f9/c7/45f9c7fde7489273aa1e0263e3cf5eeb.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.pinterest.com/forgejdr/amen-ar%25C3%25A8nes/&h=354&w=236&tbnid=ZdjCXjLeLgS6XM:&zoom=1&docid=S_HI5EUjrPRrwM&hl=en&ei=m4C5VI6rOYHOgwSWv4PoAg&tbm=isch&ved=0CBwQMygAMAA

Or this:  http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/ancient-warrior-2019313.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photos-ancient-warrior-image2019313&h=1300&w=954&tbnid=-8GnbuXzcKvI9M:&zoom=1&docid=g4XVQ7gGd4WYRM&hl=en&ei=m4C5VI6rOYHOgwSWv4PoAg&tbm=isch&ved=0CCEQMygFMAU

Got to love google image searches.  That was a pleasant one.

There's nothing wrong with buff men or hourglass women.  It's the restriction to JUST those choices that I have a problem with, specifically in massively multiplayer games- though the scale of the game's multiplayer function hasn't been released as far as I know, so it could simply be something like a League of Legends setup where you're selecting a specific character to play.  Either way, only ever having characters that fit into the very narrow "ideals" on the huge range of body types is going to be severely disappointing to me.  Some people don't want to play the heroic or femme fatale archetype.  Some would rather be the overweight cook armed with a frying pan or the scrawny squire who is just starting to grasp what war is.  Or maybe some of us want to play really buff women, which according to the images put out thus far, doesn't seem to be an option.

I'm sorry but the tough fat cook isn't realistic.  At all.  Let's face it, great warriors are going to be in shape!!!  Fat, old schleps do not great warriors make.  Leaders maybe but soldiers, no.  If you don't think those women are, look again.  I can only guess it's because they are covered up that you're thinking otherwise.  Or are you debating that men and women have different body frames and differently shaped muscles?  Because if you are, you're just being blinded by being overly PC.  Women can be as strong as men.  I'm not saying that.  My friend who's a farmer just a few years younger than me, has muscles from throwing around bales of hay and what not.  But do her muscles -- strong as they are -- resemble the dudes in my link above?  (OK, that middle dude is as exaggerated as the women I've seen on other video games but pfft. and the other two, especially that last sweetie.  He's my favorite.)  No, they do not.  So while she's as physically strong as her male farmer counterparts, she just doesn't look the same as them build wise.  Because, you know -- men and women are different and do look different.  We don't have the same bods.  Viva la difference!

Look again:

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/740-011515-templars-champions-and-a-cryptic-tree/

My favorite redhead is not a skinny twig with big boobs.  She's not skinny.  She is a strong, muscular in-shape woman!  I so want to be her!

Compare her with the male knight we've been shown since the background image.  They are in EQUAL shape and EQUALly covered.  I see no gender discrimination here whatsoever.  It is b.s., plain and simple.

Edited by blaze duskdreamer

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.

I'm really liking the look of the characters. They strike just the right balance. They aren't making an over-the-top attempt to impress us (and therefore falling short), yet they aren't so cartoony as to be annoyingly misshapen/unrealistically strong (i.e., forearms twice the size of their waists or swords three times as tall as the character).

Edited by elkesai

I'm sorry but the tough fat cook isn't realistic.  At all.  Let's face it, great warriors are going to be in shape!!!  Fat, old schleps do not great warriors make.  Leaders maybe but soldiers, no.  If you don't think those women are, look again.  I can only guess it's because they are covered up that you're thinking otherwise.  Or are you debating that men and women have different body frames and differently shaped muscles?  Because if you are, you're just being blinded by being overly PC.  Women can be as strong as men.  I'm not saying that.  My friend who's a farmer just a few years younger than me, has muscles from throwing around bales of hay and what not.  But do her muscles -- strong as they are -- resemble the dudes in my link above?  (OK, that middle dude is as exaggerated as the women I've seen on other video games but pfft. and the other two, especially that last sweetie.  He's my favorite.)  No, they do not.  So while she's as physically strong as her male farmer counterparts, she just doesn't look the same as them build wise.  Because, you know -- men and women are different and do look different.  We don't have the same bods.  Viva la difference!

Look again:

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/740-011515-templars-champions-and-a-cryptic-tree/

My favorite redhead is not a skinny twig with big boobs.  She's not skinny.  She is a strong, muscular in-shape woman!  I so want to be her!

Compare her with the male knight we've been shown since the background image.  They are in EQUAL shape and EQUALly covered.  I see no gender discrimination here whatsoever.  It is b.s., plain and simple.

I think it's interesting that you think realism in a fantasy game is necessary to make a game enjoyable.  Characters don't need to be believable for someone to like playing them or to make a good story.  Just because you enjoy limited availability doesn't mean others do.

I also think it's interesting that you say a person has to look like they're buff and in shape, and then turn around and praise your friend for being as strong as her male counterparts but not looking as buff as them.  It is also pretty important to note that people who shape their bodies to look buff or strong, such as body builders, aren't actually strong.  It's a visual aesthetic.  People who actually are strong tend to be heavy set and do have fat deposits on their bodies, so it's completely possible for someone to be fat and be strong at the same time.

As for the redhead, sorry you don't think so, but her proportions are in fact exaggerated and not realistic- just because she isn't as exaggerated as other games, doesn't mean she isn't exaggerated at all.  She has a very obvious hourglass shape, meaning a slim waist and large breasts- breasts that are large enough to merit shaping the armor around them rather than padding the armor underneath and making it a shape more suitable/realistic for battle.

I would also like to point out that I said I didn't have a problem with the current characters that were presented, but that I hoped that there would be opportunity for variation and customization beyond what was presented because I didn't see much in the way of variation.  If you were to compare the redhead's shape to the other women concept art, you'll see there's not much (if any) difference between their body types (and their faces for that matter), and the same goes for the men for the most part, though video games in general when offering variation in body types for characters tend to offer more variation for men than they do for women, which is largely because women are objectified and held to a societal views that center on a "standard" type which caters to a male dominated society.

As for your claim that I'm being overly PC, the only reply I have to that is that wanting to see variation in body types in a game isn't even a "politically correct" focused comment, it's being sick to death of seeing the same thing over and over and hoping that this game will bother to change it up.

I understand your opinion, which you are completely free to have, but I'll have to respectfully disagree with you.

That's the fun in speculation :)  But, if you're a fan of ASoIF (Game of Thrones) and, to an extent, Shadowbane, the world was divided up by factions/regions. Doesn't mean its a hard line faction (like WoW) where you couldn't be Race A in Faction B, but it may have to do with starting areas.

Agreed. I can see this as a Game of Thrones  type of game where the race doesn't really matter. You may have to go through a series of quests to choose an affiliation, rather than a faction, per se.

Agreed. I can see this as a Game of Thrones  type of game where the race doesn't really matter. You may have to go through a series of quests to choose an affiliation, rather than a faction, per se.

lets hope not

I think it's interesting that you think realism in a fantasy game is necessary to make a game enjoyable.  Characters don't need to be believable for someone to like playing them or to make a good story.  Just because you enjoy limited availability doesn't mean others do.

I also think it's interesting that you say a person has to look like they're buff and in shape, and then turn around and praise your friend for being as strong as her male counterparts but not looking as buff as them.  It is also pretty important to note that people who shape their bodies to look buff or strong, such as body builders, aren't actually strong.  It's a visual aesthetic.  People who actually are strong tend to be heavy set and do have fat deposits on their bodies, so it's completely possible for someone to be fat and be strong at the same time.

As for the redhead, sorry you don't think so, but her proportions are in fact exaggerated and not realistic- just because she isn't as exaggerated as other games, doesn't mean she isn't exaggerated at all.  She has a very obvious hourglass shape, meaning a slim waist and large breasts- breasts that are large enough to merit shaping the armor around them rather than padding the armor underneath and making it a shape more suitable/realistic for battle.

I would also like to point out that I said I didn't have a problem with the current characters that were presented, but that I hoped that there would be opportunity for variation and customization beyond what was presented because I didn't see much in the way of variation.  If you were to compare the redhead's shape to the other women concept art, you'll see there's not much (if any) difference between their body types (and their faces for that matter), and the same goes for the men for the most part, though video games in general when offering variation in body types for characters tend to offer more variation for men than they do for women, which is largely because women are objectified and held to a societal views that center on a "standard" type which caters to a male dominated society.

As for your claim that I'm being overly PC, the only reply I have to that is that wanting to see variation in body types in a game isn't even a "politically correct" focused comment, it's being sick to death of seeing the same thing over and over and hoping that this game will bother to change it up.

I understand your opinion, which you are completely free to have, but I'll have to respectfully disagree with you.

You know I never would have known people have to have some fat in their bodies if you hadn't told me.  /sarcasm   (Are you really trying to say that makes an excessive amount of fat a good thing?)

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of what in-game avatars should be.  You may want a tubby like you (hey, it's showing) but I doubt most people do.  I always find it extremely amusing that they protest women looking fit and having you know breasts like women generally do but never protest all the buff dudes.

It's a PC thing whether you want to admit it or not.

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.

The symbol on his shield is one of the crests from the tree image. Does that mean warriors get their faction crest on their shield!

"Video games foster the mindset that allows creativity to grow "  - NOLAN BUSHNELL

Interested in the creation points and Archetypes, but I'm really hoping it'll have customization options, so everyone won't look the same.. And is that starting armor, because it'd be pretty sad if we just got different stat and level variations of the same armor look and color. :P

Last Call (A community guild for friendly peoples waiting out for CrowFall :P): http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/888-last-call-a-community-for-friendly-people/

Is this going to be an isometric angle game? The art style looks great but it doesn't look like it has enough detail in it to be seen up close. I'd love to play a modern MMO that's isometric.

I love the look, tired of uber-hyper-realistic modeled MMO ( look great play like crap) and super shiny flashing over-satured color cartoony MMOs

What we have here is Clean, clean, CLEAN!, it kind of alludes to the fact that glowing weapons will most likely glow and not look like a lighthouse beacon in your hand 

well it seems pretty good to me  the graphs have a cozy feeling and in my opinion i realy like this style and the creation points is a lil bit DnDish(not talking about the online mmo) .!the point system rly gives u a freedom kind of feeling and unique kind of sense 2 your char