Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/13/15 - Character Creation Preview

I'm worried that clicking that circle will bring up a few hair and face options, but not gender and race options. The first thing that popped into my mind upon seeing that screenshot was, "Oh, looks like a MOBA with pre-determined character archetypes."

OMG................. now that you mentioned it does look like MOBA pre-built characters. 

I'm now worried. 

I like the look of the characters. Really digging that we can see there will be other races than just human. Also - the mage looks to be wearing metal spaulders. Does this mean we'll have caster classes other than healer-types that won't be strictly limited to cloth armor? Maybe it's just for looks, but I'm excited. ^_^

good
+ creationpoints
+ warmth conversion? Intressting
+ Hunger resistance? Intressting

turnoffs
- cute

- archetypes (if this is class restrictions)

- design of interface lack soul, looks sci-fi.

ok...now i hafta clean this off the monitaur...and the ceiling....

that being said...

w00t!

me sees numbers me like seeing...

a dozen "archetypes" which screams further customization, AND we get to see the effects of our decisions in the comprehensive stats...note the screen has room to scroll down past fire and ice resists

resists and regen being on there gives me bigtime Hope....

lots to digest....but very tumescent over this partial reveal so far

MOAR!!!!!!!!

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Love it.  Similar to EverQuest Next and CU's art style. I played Shadowbane, EverQuest and DAoC back in the day so.. this is going to be a great generation of up and coming mmorpgs with EQN, CU, and now this!

I agree. The first part is probably just a way to get an overall feel for the archetype and then you go into customization. And it could be that you could also change the Race and the Gender (if there is Gender... you never know, some Races may not have one). Looking at the first four, it's hard to say what they are, though. Could be something like a Rogue, Fighter, Tank, Caster... but what is the difference between the Fighter and a Tank? Or is one more 1H/Shield while the other is 2H? Or are there subtle differences? One could be Knight (as it is named) but the 3rd one could be Reaver?

I wonder if weapon choice will be locked according to class as well? Will our Knight friend need to promote to a different class to use a two-hander? Or is 1h/shield simply the default starting weapon, and Knights are adept at wielding several types of weapons?

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

So, let's look at some of these stats. Some are pretty self-explanatory, but there are a few pretty interesting things here, and we still can't see the whole screen. I'm assuming that a goodly chunk of the stuff we can't see is more Elemental Damage/Resistance, but it depends on how many damage types they have.

Warmth Conversion: ??? With the fact we have a Hunger Resistance, maybe this is tied more into the survival/wilderness stuff, but it could be something totally different.  

Hunger Resistance: An exciting idea to have a sort of survival/food mechanic. This is definitely something I'm looking forward to hearing more about.  My first impression is this stat just simply reduces the rate at which you grow hungry/suffer penalties from such hunger. 

Dash Count: I like this and I don't even know what it is.  Hopefully it means we have a bit of action-oriented combat, and you get dashes/rolls that refresh.

Elemental Damage/Resistance: I do like having this.  I always enjoyed putting on my Fire resist gear to go kill some Templars.

Power Damage: Interesting that they seem to have separated the stats that affect weapon attacks and powers/abilities.  I wonder if this is magic power only, or if it also applies to weapon powers/styles.

Edited by haliit

The Sundered Guard-"Nature's Sword, the People's Shield"-Ranger's Brotherhood of Shadowbane, Mourning Server

Listen to CrowCast-A Crowfall Podcast
Crowfall1_zps3d24a64d.jpg

Love it.  Similar to EverQuest Next and CU's art style. I played Shadowbane, EverQuest and DAoC back in the day so.. this is going to be a great generation of up and coming mmorpgs with EQN, CU, and now this!

It really does look like Everquest Next and CU artstyle which is a good thing imo. They dont make the characters like that just to make them cute. Games age better with those artstyles and also gives good contrast so you can actually see what players are doing.

Warmth Conversion: ??? With the fact we have a Hunger Resistance, maybe this is tied more into the survival/wilderness stuff, but it could be something totally different.  

Hunger Resistance: An exciting idea to have a sort of survival/food mechanic. This is definitely something I'm looking forward to hearing more about.  My first impression is this stat just simply reduces the rate at which you grow hungry/suffer penalties from such hunger. 

I found these two super interesting as well. Wondering if Warmth conversion is a health-related spec, or maybe related to the fire and ice stats we see below.

The concept of hunger is awesome. Would be great if sieging for extended periods began to tax the population inside the walls.

Health per hit?  I ain't be seein' one'a dat lot lookin' like der a healin' type, maybe da green wench?  

Hopin' we be gettin' healers' an' it ain't jus' up ta' some magical health' drainin' ta keep'n da fight

5pdWpYv.jpg

Former Shadowbane Thief Advocate,

Current Crowfall Thief Advocate  ;)

Health per hit?  I ain't be seein' one'a dat lot lookin' like der a healin' type, maybe da green wench?  

Hopin' we be gettin' healers' an' it ain't jus' up ta' some magical health' drainin' ta keep'n da fight

with health per hit..i'm thinking more like a stat for drains...be they Power, Passive or Weapon

that makes sense to meh, a way to keep track for stacking purposes...

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

My favorite two parts:

Movement (attribute): 100

Dash Count: 2

To me this is implying a complex and customizable, through character creation, movement physics system.  Dash count hints at an active movement system - either "dodging" (double tap and you quickly move in that direction) or "sprinting" (hold the button down and you move quicker for some duration of time).  And movement starting at 100 implies that you can end up somewhere other than 100, perhaps through perks, racial bonuses/penalties, or through the archetype selection.

All good news.

Now just tell me there is double jumping!

Yeah... possibly race and gender locks. Not to kean on that. Although if there are plenty of choices as it looks like there is 12-16 as that box can scroll down more, it might not be so bad if there are race/gender locks.

I'm in mumble with an old UO player and he says that the Hunger resistance comes from there, that in UO if you got hungry your skills decayed. He also said that the life per hit is probably an old style weapon health drain.