Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alaskanrebel

taking frost magic farther than the typical

I don't know the rest of you guys but I am rather tired of the typical ice spells ie freeze/slow people and maybe make walls/barriers. I don't expect that the frostweaver will have none of these things as that would be naive but I would like to see some different spells and  am curious as to what you guys can come up with.

Some ideas of my include

1. Shooting cones of ice shards that do damage and bleed

2. Creating an aoe of whiteout snow that impairs visibility for friend and foe alike

3.Causing the opponent's gear to become more brittle, taking more damage per blow (this one sounds like a terrible idea but I am spit balling)

4.Creating an aoe of ice on the ground that friend or foe have a good chance of tripping on if moving quickly, significantly less if moving slowly (borrowed from divinity original sin, one of my greatest banes)

I will add more as I come up with them. The developers may not use any of the ideas in this topic but I for one would like to see frost magic to have more versatility and variance then it generally has. 

Edited by alaskanrebel

I'm a big fan of multiple utilities on a given spell. For example, maybe a simple ice projectile will strike someone and cause bleed damage, as you mentioned (because it's just sharp/piercey ice). But, maybe you can detonate that shard (it would cost something extra; more mana, or stamina, or whatever, like a second spell being cast) into a burst of hyper-chilled air that slows people in the area. OR, maybe whenever you detonate that shard (maybe you can only do it before it strikes something, or it automatically does so when it strikes a non-living target, like a tree or wall), it explodes into ice shrapnel that cause bleeding on whomever they strike. Maybe the ice shard itself has knockdown capability, and armor-piercing effects, while the explosion of ice shards isn't going to knock anyone down, it's just going to shred and bleed. But, you couldn't use both, maybe (like I said, maybe you have to choose to detonate it before it strikes someone).

Another thing is, instead of the typical "chill" effect just slowing pretty much anything with a speed rating by a certain percentage, what if it more interestingly impaired your abilities? What if it just made your reticle shake around (as a person aiming a ranged weapon), or applied a delay to your melee swings, or increased the cooldown between certain abilities? Basically, there's a lot more to being really cold than just doing everything globally more slowly. You don't necessarily do things slowly when you're cold. You just don't do them very efficiently (i.e. the shaky aim).

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

It would be nice if spells were diversified with a variety of effects making them more broad than the simple damage + slow most ice magic entails.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Another thing is, instead of the typical "chill" effect just slowing pretty much anything with a speed rating by a certain percentage, what if it more interestingly impaired your abilities? What if it just made your reticle shake around (as a person aiming a ranged weapon), or applied a delay to your melee swings, or increased the cooldown between certain abilities? Basically, there's a lot more to being really cold than just doing everything globally more slowly. You don't necessarily do things slowly when you're cold. You just don't do them very efficiently (i.e. the shaky aim).

This I find very interesting. Instead of just a typical blind debuff, it wouldn't actually make you miss, just more likely to. However if the player is skilled and can compensate, one could get around it. Somehow I don't think it will actually be used but its a great idea, and I would certainly like to see it attempted.

Nice ideas OP. 

I got one.

Soul of snow

Shoots a big snowball out of her hands, does little damage to the enemy. But it penetrates the body of the enemy. If it hits another enemy soon after then it does 2x more damage to the 2nd guy, 4x more damage to the 3rd guy, etc. It gets smaller and slower every time it penetrates a body.

There's a Path of Exile ability that works like this- pierce on first hit, then shatter and freeze on a subsequent hit.

I found it more of a pain to manage than it was worth.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Soul of snow

Shoots a big snowball out of her hands, does little damage to the enemy. But it penetrates the body of the enemy. If it hits another enemy soon after then it does 2x more damage to the 2nd guy, 4x more damage to the 3rd guy, etc. It gets smaller and slower every time it penetrates a body.

That's not a bad idea at all. But, it would probably need to be tweaked to make sure it worked well with Crowfall's anticipated combat scenarios. In that raw form, it seems like it'd either be too easy to make the most of, or too difficult to get it to be worthwhile. Everyone would just shout "Frostweaver!" and spread out a bunch or something. And/or you'd just have 15 Frostweavers hurl a bunch of those at a mass of enemies, and it would almost never fail to be super effective.

I like the idea of the effect relying on more than just "pew pew, I hit you," though. One of my favorite factors to play around with in magic abilities is the delivery of the effect. For example, what if you could make a wall of ice, but you had to tag 2 enemies with the same spell to do so, and the wall would spring forth between them, freezing them into place? Or, what if you could make a wall of ice, then transform that back into water... into a wave that crashes into the enemy in the direction you choose?

how about an ice spell on the floor

instead of slowing you down, it makes you faster, uncontrolable, slipping around, ....

think of the tactical possibilities

Yesssss! Maybe you get like 7 Frostweavers to line up these ice slicks in succession, at an enemy's gate. Then, get some Centaurs or something to push a huge stone boulder as fast as they can on the ice, so that it maintains its momentum and cracks the gate open. MUAHAHAHAHA! Teamwork!

I know another one! Ice mirrors! You put up a polished panel of ice that confuses your foes by causing a reflection there. And/or maybe beam-type abilities/spells could reflect off of it, to allow them to strike at different angles.

If the boulder goes off course, do you have some murdeer skating in front of it with little brooms to steer it back towards the gate?

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I actually hope kiting is not a viable strategy vs enemy MDPS. We should have to hide behind our tanks, and our tanks should have effective tools for keeping the enemy MDPS out of the back line.

Tully

I actually hope kiting is not a viable strategy vs enemy MDPS. We should have to hide behind our tanks, and our tanks should have effective tools for keeping the enemy MDPS out of the back line.

Unfortunately, CF tactics will never resemble IRL ancient warfare tactics. Nice dream, though.

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka

Maybe the frostweaver should act more as a witch doctor with hypothermia and chilled bones. Not so much the WoW approach with AoE chills, but more of a biological standpoint.