Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alaskanrebel

taking frost magic farther than the typical

I like the idea of the effect relying on more than just "pew pew, I hit you," though. One of my favorite factors to play around with in magic abilities is the delivery of the effect. For example, what if you could make a wall of ice, but you had to tag 2 enemies with the same spell to do so, and the wall would spring forth between them, freezing them into place? Or, what if you could make a wall of ice, then transform that back into water... into a wave that crashes into the enemy in the direction you choose?

how about an ice spell on the floor

instead of slowing you down, it makes you faster, uncontrolable, slipping around, ....

think of the tactical possibilities

I like the variety with these answers. while I would like to have ice and water connected, I just don't see it happening (but I could be wrong). Freezing water (say crossing a river and it then thaws so others can't follow) maybe, but not the reverse. I like the faster uncontrollable idea as well. It turns the slow mechanic on its head, now instead of being unable to move, you move too well, which really is how ice works in the real world: you walk slowly not to fall flat on your face, or you go to fast, lose control and then fall flat on your face. I would like a blizzard or something similar to give allies cover to enter or retreat from battle. Don't think it would happen, but hey, it could be usable. There would have to be strict limitations on it though (high mana cost or something)

Edited by FrostSword

nz8Y2JJ.jpg

I like the variety with these answers. while I would like to have ice and water connected, I just don't see it happening (but I could be wrong). Freezing water (say crossing a river and it then thaws so others can't follow) maybe, but not the reverse. I like the faster uncontrollable idea as well. It turns the slow mechanic on its head, now instead of being unable to move, you move too well, which really is how ice works in the real world: you walk slowly not to fall flat on your face, or you go to fast, lose control and then fall flat on your face. I would like a blizzard or something similar to give allies cover to enter or retreat from battle. Don't think it would happen, but hey, it could be usable. There would have to be strict limitations on it though (high mana cost or something)

I approve of ice hazards causing knockdown upon entering them. Playing with friction would also be fun.

For reference, Divinity: Original Sin had quite an extensive elemental system: https://youtu.be/r4MjkBCz0tQ?t=8m32s

Edited by Raizex

I would really love to see something different done with Frostweaver! I hope that there is a good number of spells, but I would also like it to be a melee/magic hybrid. For one I think it would be cool to have mechanics like these (drawing from the mechanics of the first 3 archetypes in alpha):

Hoarfrost: This is a main mechanic for the Frostweaver. With each frost spell the Frostweaver applies a stack of Hoarfrost, which decreases the armor of the current target by a certain amount (up to a cap of so many stacks). Furthermore, if attacked by melee weapons it has a chance to shatter doing extra damage. The duration could be short and the colder the weather becomes the longer that it stays on.

Galacial Drift: This ability erects a huge chunk of ice that starts from the caster and crushes all those in front, also acts as a shield for the duration.

Frost Step: this could be comparable to confessors immolation. For the duration of the spell the Frostweaver moves around freely coating the ground in frost causing anyone to slip on the ice. The ground is only frozen were the Frostweaver steps.

Icicle: Shoots a bolt of ice at the target

Icicle A: Allows the Frostweaver to detonate the bolt to do area damage.

Icicle B: This allows the Frostweaver to split the bolt into 3 smaller bolts that do less damage but can hit up to 3 targets in front.

Left Mouse: would be melee attack or ranged attack depending on the weapon

This is just a Basic display of the combination of powers that I am hoping that Frostweaver gets.

I would really love to see something different done with Frostweaver! I hope that there is a good number of spells, but I would also like it to be a melee/magic hybrid.

I would definitely agree that I would like to see the frost-weaver being a magic/melee hybrid. I think it would be a shame to neglect that kusarigama-like weapon they showed her holding in a few of the screenshots and concept art. I think it offers a lot of opportunity to not only further differentiate her from the confessor, but also from nearly any other class offered by any other MMO.

Frost Step: this could be comparable to confessors immolation. For the duration of the spell the Frostweaver moves around freely coating the ground in frost causing anyone to slip on the ice. The ground is only frozen were the Frostweaver steps.

I love the concept of leaving behind a frost trail that causes opponents to slip, but I see this as being more of a replacement for the confessors dash ability. Kind of link an icy slide that leaves behind a trial of ice, somewhat similar to this: https://youtu.be/i_e6p_MjmF0?t=1m16s. In fact, as a whole, the Cryomancer from Skyforge is an excellent case study in a frost mage done well, and I think the developers could learn a thing or two from studying it.