Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hyjaxxx

burrowing/wall breaking mechanic questions

Salutations folks! I'm dying to play the duelist class but my question is regarding the burrowing and wall breaking mechanic.in the videos it looks like breaking a wall or burrowing under one is extremely quick and that seems like it wouldn't be very balanced...i mean,you have a huge majestic keep and our toons break through like the kool aid man....or burrow under it lickety split. Does anyone have any info regarding the mechanic?

Also with being able to dig and move land,does the displaced material respawn after a set time or does it stay affected for the duration of the campaign? It seems that if it doesn't respawn fairly fast that the land would be totally destroyed. Again,insight would be great!

And in finishing,I sent an email to the devs today and got a reply really fast...like 10 min..its nice to see that kind of effort. Well In passing they mentioned a cool update this Thursday,so stay tuned!

Hope to hear some info soon!

Hyjaxx.

Fair enough,I know there is still a ton of development to do. This may be a silly question.is there a NDA in place for the people in the alpha or can they talk about their experiences?

This was a large concern for me too. Though I thought that it was just for testing purposes in the videos.

Now I'm just concerned about being able to dig under walls...but my guess will be a item that prevents ground terrain from being destroyed when active or something

Still, Looking forward to the information Thursday

MMOs I've Played:

WoW (up to LichKing) - GW2 - FFXIV (Beta) - ESO (Beta)  - Wildstar - 

The videos were for cinematic purposes I'm sure. There's no point to building if the destruction mechanics will be that fast - they'll balance it out to make building fortifications worth it.

As for tunnels, I'm sure that will be a lengthy process considering its "stealth siege" element. You would definitely have to defend the entrance against enemy patrols and defend the entrance if it was discovered. Hell, if it was discovered you'd probably want to abandon the tunnel - sure you're through the wall but now you're trapped in a hole!

Deadman; FIGHTER OF THE LIFE MAN, ooooAAAAH AHHHHH! CHAMPION OF THE... Oh. That's not how it goes...

http://www.twitch.tv/alt_delete - Alt Delete Gaming: Lose Ctrl.

I would imagine ....if it was up to me..lol that each voxel(spelling?)will have a hp rating with the pieces within a proximity of a keep or item of interest having substantially more hp. Adjusting this hp value will be a simple way to determine penetration times.

Salutations folks! I'm dying to play the duelist class but my question is regarding the burrowing and wall breaking mechanic.in the videos it looks like breaking a wall or burrowing under one is extremely quick and that seems like it wouldn't be very balanced...i mean,you have a huge majestic keep and our toons break through like the kool aid man....or burrow under it lickety split. Does anyone have any info regarding the mechanic?

Also with being able to dig and move land,does the displaced material respawn after a set time or does it stay affected for the duration of the campaign? It seems that if it doesn't respawn fairly fast that the land would be totally destroyed. Again,insight would be great!

And in finishing,I sent an email to the devs today and got a reply really fast...like 10 min..its nice to see that kind of effort. Well In passing they mentioned a cool update this Thursday,so stay tuned!

Hope to hear some info soon!

Hyjaxx.

Ideally I like the idea of the land not respawning directly since that would prevent digging moats or other fortifications and/or traps.

A way to balance this would be to not have the digging remove dirt, etc, but instead move it around and/or compact it. 

If you are digging through something soft enough you could compact the dirt out of your way. This would leave an open tunnel behind you and 'upgrade' the hardness of the walls of your tunnel as you jam the material you dug up into the walls.

If you are digging through something that won't compact then you are stuck with moving the tunnel scrap behind you to either block up the tunnel or be carried elsewhere.

This would tie in nicely with different digging speeds for different materials.

Copperstall

So,The theory crafter and MinMaxer in me just cant leave this alone so ive been doing some work on ideas for the burrowing and wall breaking mechanic.

Respawn of Destructed/Moved land- I feel that getting this right is of paramount importance for the health of the game.  No one is going to have fun if the world is just a hacked up mess of gutters, holes and super deep trenches that ruin mobility ect. Having said that I think the respawn rate should be proxcimity based. So..

a) holes,trenches,moats,tunnels ect that are within 3000 meters of a POI (point of interest) should stay in place for 1 hour unless  repaired/filled.

a1) this would give people that specialize in digging/burrowing ect a job to do during large drawn out combat, having to keep the moat or tunnels fresh and safe. this would add an exciting component to an otherwise drab task.

B) Land that is altered outside of POI areas  should respawn in 30 min. If combat commences within 1500 meters of the altered ground the repawn timer restarts.

b1) this would give people without keeps or strongholds the ability to create "fox holes" or trench systems as a fortification without the world becomming "swiss cheese online"

**Land (voxel) HP values-Proxcimity based**-  I feel that for the Burrowing/wall breaking system to be a fun, engaging system it needs to be done well from the start. making the land (voxel) hp values proxcimity based stops it from being an "I win" on keeps or strongholds.

a) aside from the values being proxcimity based ( from a POI) I also feel that the rate of digging/destruction should change if you are in combat

**Burrowing classes and their ability to "back fill" enemy trenches/holes/moats**- Besides being able to burrow and dig, back filling should be an exciting component to the system. sending your own "burrow Brigade lol " in to trap enemies in their tunnels, fill moats to pass ect is a great counter to a certain style of warfare.

a) Backfilling should be quicker than Burrowing, but its HP should be greatly reduced for a period of time.

a1) backfilled land could have a "Backfilled" debuff on it reducing its HP for 60 seconds ect. this would add an exciting counter to the Burrowing concept.

Anyhow I have lots more of this stuff, I dont know if anyone finds it interesting lol...if so, let me know and i can pop the rest of it up for thoughts and comments.

Thanks!

Hyjaxx the (soon to be) Duelist.

Isn't it most likely that the burrowing mechanic is a) slow and b ) requires degradable tools?

This would stop the Swiss cheese problem from happening too much, without magically respawning dirt. The whole point of Dying Worlds is that we *can* make a mess...

Edited by Razorwire

Casual to hardcore is a spectrum. Carebear to griefer is also a spectrum.

I'm in the middle of both.

I sort of hope that the earth burrowed out is displaced into a huge mound outside of the initial dig sight. I think it sort of adds some character to the digging process.

Sneak home and pray you'll never know the hell where youth and laughter go.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg