Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Varius

A Question Regarding Testing

I simply want to ask a question that is in my mind very important for the success of this game. Simply enough how are they going to test the ever so important issue of having 100 vs 100 battles on your screen running smoothly during a campaign? What parts of the programming and server configuration is going to prevent having large scale battles, on top of a voxel system from causing lack of performance.

One example of this being a problem is in games such as ESO, where a game was advertised as a large scale group vs group pvp system, however never fully tested its servers capabilities of large scale testing. To this day they still haven't fixed the issue and its been said that its because their servers cannot handle it. So what makes this system of large scale battles different from that of ESO and how does everyone think they plan on testing these possible performance issues come Beta and even Alpha?

Thanks!

Edited by Varius

KjUVOZg.png

Varius - Veteran Member of LG

My definition of large scale battles is definitely smaller than 100 vs 100. I have no need for battles that size so if they can't do that, I would be totally ok with that.

The number was a bit exaggerated, but still the question remains the same, performance when dealing with large numbers in one area all casting abilities, all causing voxels to be destroyed, and all operating smoothly.

Games such as Camelot Unchained already address these types of issues by simply showing their work on developing their own server systems. Did crowfall do the same or are they using a system that can handle it?

KjUVOZg.png

Varius - Veteran Member of LG

Didn't the devs explain at Capital Factory they are using an top notch proprietary mmo engine made by Mike McShaffry "MrMike" himself? Think he even said he worked on for it for 4 years.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Well I hope they will address this challenge in Alpha 2, ... or early Beta version when the required amount of testers is met. Other than that we - as the players - could try to crash the servers by doing something similar to a siege - maybe a battle royal at a meeting point ^^

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

Over 3700 people backed the kickstarter at Alpha 2 access levels, and another 1200 at Alpha 3 levels. Then add crowfall.com pledges. Then add everyone who pledged at beta 1 levels.

I think we'll have enough testers.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

They've already confirmed most of the Alpha tests are going to be focused, and temporary. In all likelyhood, they will toss up a small map with a couple castles or something, invite the couple thousand people with Alpha Access, and let us have at it.

Didn't the devs explain at Capital Factory they are using an top notch proprietary mmo engine made by Mike McShaffry "MrMike" himself? Think he even said he worked on for it for 4 years.

They are using Unity 5 for their engine as well as Voxel Farm.

True, I think they said they tested the performance already with zombies, it's not the same as players' character but it might give some insight, and if I recall correctly one of the developer was talking about 200 zombies. Also, I was under the impression that even if the large scale battles weren't tested yet, they were optimistic about this matter. Capital Factory video doesn't seem to be available anymore on their website, it's a pity because for me it was the most instructive video of ACE I've watched so far.

They are using Unity 5 for their engine as well as Voxel Farm.

I said engine, but I meant network code. Big difference I know. Have a lot going on today, so I'm totally distracted. Like Courant said, the video has been removed.  :(

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Not MrMike, but Thomas "Dreadflame" Sitch built the server engine.

The client is much more likely to have issues at large scale than the server (including network code). Everything will be tested well before we launch