Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unknownxv

Mild Insomina

Has anyone dealt with this? For the past two weeks, I've been unable to get any proper sleep. I can fall asleep when I get tired without any hassle, but I will often randomly wake up for no reason after only a few hours of sleep. Then I can't seem to fall asleep after. Also, the sleep I do get feels much lighter than normal. At most I sleep 4 hours.

My sleep cycle was always messed up due to working nights. I leave at 11 pm and get back home at 4 am. Earliest I can sleep is around 6-7 am due to adrenaline from biking/working, though often I end up staying awake later.

I haven't changed any habits that I can think of besides my diet. I'm eating healthier foods now, fruits, veggies, lean meats, and I've been lifting weights 3 days a week. You'd think all these things would make sleep better for me. 

Is it possible that a switch to healthy food leads to such fragmented restless sleep?

People have said it could be anxiety, but I don't feel anxious.. at least not normally. I only feel a bit anxious when I lay down to go to bed, if I am not very tired. My mind starts to wander, thinking about all kind of things. Focusing on my body, each limb, feeling my heart beating in my ear, I focus on the tiniest of things which makes me a bit stressed. I can only fall asleep when I'm very tired, but that isn't new. Not being able to stay asleep for 8 hours is. When I wake up after 4 hours I feel slightly refreshed, enough not to be able to fall back asleep on the spot. But after an hour or two I start to feel drained, but it's a different kind of tired feeling, one that is harder to go back to sleep on. Hard to explain. 

Anyone ever had this and fixed it?

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche

when my mind wanders, I usually end up on some random topic, I think "wtf, how did i get here?" so I try to retrace my thoughts to the original thought. I never get back to the source as I'm usually asleep by then. I also usually sleep with a humidifier (noisy one) in the winter or a fan on in the summer to drown out tiny noises such as the wind, house settling, heartbeat, etc

Edited by Courant202

I also usually sleep with a humidifier (noisy one) in the winter or a fan on in the summer to drown out tiny noises such as the wind, house settling, heartbeat, etc

You should try sleeping with a woman, its great

Night shifts are absolutely brutal for you. How long have you been doing it? I've been doing night shifts on and off for far too many years than I should be, and it catches up with you.

How are you sleeping? Do you have black-out curtains, a windowless room, or a sleep mask or something? How about noise? Near traffic?

If you're not already taking Melatonin Supplements when you're sleeping days, I would suggest it.

Do you smoke weed? That'd also do it.

I've always been a night owl, naturally sleeping later, although going to bed past 6 am when the sun starts to rise is a bit tough. I have heavy curtains in my room so light isn't an issue. As for sound, that isn't a problem. I don't wake up because of external factors, it's always just about after 4 hours on the clock, nothing in particular happens, I just wake up. 

Hmm, I know Melatonin is supposed to help, but I am afraid I'll get addicted to it. I hate taking pills/medicine in general, I feel like I should just depend on my own body to sort it out. But in this case it's my own body custard up. I don't really understand why my mind would keep waking me up for no reason lol. 

Been working night shift for the better part of 4 years. I'm 24 now.

Edited by unknownxv

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche

melatonin is natural. there's no addiction. when my kids have off days, they take it. Granted, it's not been out long enough to have a 10 year case study and we could all end up with cancer. But better than people giving their kids nyquil, benadryl, or alcohol. The kids aren't addicted to it. They go most days without it, never ask for it to help them sleep, and they don't know what it is. It's in gummy form just like their vitamins so they just assume it's a vitamin.

I might try that. I wonder if it'll help me sleep straight through for 8 hours, if my body will adapt back to that pattern after I stop using it? Well I will see. Thanks for the suggestion. 

- Nietzsche