Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zakila

Overpowered 1v1 "Vampire" ganking archetype

I was thinking it would be interesting to have a archetype that excelled at defeating single targets but useless at group fighting. Basically it would lock on to its target, getting a major resistance buff against them, and would also have HP stealing and other vampirish skills. The only downside to the archetype would be its general weakness and lack of effective CC against players other than its target. It'd be pointless to stack a party with multiples of this class in larger battles because each one would only be defended against its target and would be easy for the rest of the enemy group to gang up on if they were smart and didn't just let the fight play out as a series of 1v1's. The inherent weakness to group combat is the class' balance and even in a three way battle royale, the other two fighters would be able to defend against it if they stopped fighting each other and focused on the vamp.

The point of this archetype would be to counter lone scouts and gatherers, actively punish them for going solo in a multiplayer game. During sieges this archetype would hang back and operate the siege weapons or sneak around and pick off opponents that manage to isolate themselves from the group.

Geneeral skill set:

Main debuff - as described above, this would severely weaken the target's attack and defense vs the vamp.

Attacks - a strong attack vs their marked victim, a weaker attack that steals the victim's health and a short range attack that slows opponents trying to escape or outmaneuver the vamp.

Basic stealth - the usual, the vamp gets invisibility and can slowly sneak up on their opponent.

Tracker stealth - a wolf form or something. Invisible, only faster than walking but slower than mounted speed. The vamp would be able to sense the life force of nearby players and track them down, but would be unable to attack with their vamp skills unless they dropped out of the tracker form, either out into the open or into the basic stealth.

An escape ability - if a 1v1 fight suddenly turns into a group battle, like if the target had a friend stealthed nearby, the vamp can jump a great distance away, giving them ample room to hide using their faster stealth ability.

Hey, I wan't a toon that can kill anything 1 v 1, but then be able to get away from anything whenever more than 1 person shows up. and it would be useless in a group...except if i had a group of them then we could totally own the other group and like get away if more than that showed up. Because we're like vampires and awesome and stuff.

gosh. i just don't think that would be a good idea.

Edited by dubanka

I think Vampire was mentioned as an example for a Discipline.

Scouts and the like will likely build their characters around being effective in 1v1 and/or escape more easily or just avoid getting caught. I don't get why you would want to counter this without having a group yourself.

If you want to be effective in 1v1, many combinations of Archetypes and Disciplines, with specific gear and whatnot are going to be great for you to take, but Scouts who built their own character this way won't be easy prey, there is no reason they should be, imo.

Scouts are less effective in and against groups, so that's the counter.

oiPOxr.jpg

Proud Member of KDS -

Recruitment Post - Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

Stalker with vampire discipline (?) should suit your needs. Stealthy, blood drinking, and a skillset built around tracking someone down and murdering their face. And the rest of them too.

Not really, my intent was so a group of players would be at a disadvantage if they stacked multiples of this archetype and fought a well-rounded group of players, the intent was to balance it so if a group attack another group of players, each vamp only gets defense against their marked target, so their opponents would make short work if they all attacked one that marked a different player in their group; in fact, three or four AoE players would give a group of vamps a hard time as a vamp could only have its perfect defense against one of them at a time, especially if it were further balanced by a moderate cooldown on re-marking after killing the vamp's current target.

Not really, my intent was so a group of players would be at a disadvantage if they stacked multiples of this archetype and fought a well-rounded group of players, the intent was to balance it so if a group attack another group of players, each vamp only gets defense against their marked target, so their opponents would make short work if they all attacked one that marked a different player in their group; in fact, three or four AoE players would give a group of vamps a hard time as a vamp could only have its perfect defense against one of them at a time, especially if it were further balanced by a moderate cooldown on re-marking after killing the vamp's current target.

what if there was a group of vampires each attacking 1 target each

noone could stop them because they all can hunt down 1 target but every oen of them only have 1 target and once 1 is dead then they can 2v1 the enemy

How does that work? I mean if you can kill everyone 1vs1.. how is it you suck at Group combat? I mean..... i just dont understand how you can be bad at group play if you can kill everyone 1vs1....

It would take a forced mechanic, part of which is entailed in the OP.  But the whole concept is flawed.  Archetypes will have balances to each other, as well as a whole.

Edited by toteofmagik

"Where there is unity there is always victory." -- Publilius Syrus

"If there weren't luck involved, I would win every time." -- Phil Hellmuth
"A good soldier does not fight because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -- G. K. Chesterton

.The point of this archetype would be to counter lone scouts and gatherers, actively punish them for going solo in a multiplayer game.

1. It would have the opposite effect, since your stated playstyle with this build is the go solo and be super effective. People would just use the vampire characters to perform these solo activities.

2. ARtCraft is not planning to "punish" players that go out solo to scout or gather. They are encouraging cooperative play- there's a huge difference.

That said, Becoming a vampire is already an option.

Would these vampires burn to ashes permanently when lit by the sun's rays?  How much would their attacks be weakened by garlic?

I'd rather have vampires be wimps in combat though, I'm not really imagining a buff Conan style dracula.  If anything, Vampires seem more like the character that would be beaten up by just about any other race in the Crowfall universe (Have you seen the Elken?  Those deer men look tough as nails and not to mention overly violent).

Deer would beat a vampire in a fistfight any day.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Here's an idea, lets not try and make things overpowered. You want to be a 1v1 god type archetype? Fine, but there is one huge weakness you need to also give such an archetype, the complete inability to run away. Once combat starts you are locked in with zero skills that could even be tangentially used to escape or evade someone. So once you start losing you will die.

Aka, go balls in or be the pansy too afraid to speak. I'm sick of devs giving way to many escape routes to this style of character.

You also want to force the 1v1 play style on the archetype? You do 10% less damage and take 10% more damage for each other "vampire" nearby on your team. Meaning if another of your archetype on your team (meaning guild, faction, or fealty line) you take the negatives.

After all, you want to be the 1v1 god archetype, any other style of gameplay should hurt you in a bad way.

-yes I'm being intentionally sardonic/sarcastic here...the game is about a great deal more balances that what you are after. You want to be able to hit someone hard? than you get to be hit hard in kind. You want to be able to take a big beating? Than you won't be dealing large amounts of damage. Being good in 1v1 is none of the above, has always been that way....it is about being able to choose when a combat starts and when you get breathers to re-engage on your terms. This suggestion isn't about that at all, it is about being an un-killable god in 1v1.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

Nahh; anything thats supposed to be "OP" in one way or the other just does not work with me at all.

I do kinda like your ability ideas though if that helps....

The other thing to note is that they sparkle in the daylight. They will have a hard time stealthily sneaking up on you in the daylight, so they have periods of strength, and periods of weakness. A vampire in the day time is going to have to seriously worry about giving away their position.

Also they need to protect their coffin. Vampires require coffins to refresh, and remove the sparkle debuff from the day time. This is similar to the campfire mechanic except that vampires are fairly resilient to the cold.

Vampires have a hard time transporting these coffins and can't carry them over rivers unassisted. Vampires need to leave their coffins guarded or risk stacking the sparkle debuff due to destroyed coffins.

The idea of a strong 1v1 character isn't insane, and will probably exist in some form. The idea of some sort of primal vampire race being a class imo would be cool.

Is it stupid? Maybe, but I've never been an honest to goo vampire in an MMO and I think it would be interesting if the mechanics around one were very on theme, and also played with area control, and generally spanning a larger swath of what the vampire brings in terms of a concept. Coffins would be an interesting idea to play with in terms of spy-gameplay and the siegers having some class to counter.

Being a vampire hunter, and hunting out vampires...sounds fun.

Edited by Zomnivore