Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zakila

Overpowered 1v1 "Vampire" ganking archetype

The other thing to note is that they sparkle in the daylight. They will have a hard time stealthily sneaking up on you in the daylight, so they have periods of strength, and periods of weakness. A vampire in the day time is going to have to seriously worry about giving away their position.

Also they need to protect their coffin. Vampires require coffins to refresh, and remove the sparkle debuff from the day time. This is similar to the campfire mechanic except that vampires are fairly resilient to the cold.

Vampires have a hard time transporting these coffins and can't carry them over rivers unassisted. Vampires need to leave their coffins guarded or risk stacking the sparkle debuff due to destroyed coffins.

The idea of a strong 1v1 character isn't insane, and will probably exist in some form. The idea of some sort of primal vampire race being a class imo would be cool.

Is it stupid? Maybe, but I've never been an honest to go vampire in an MMO and I think it would be interesting if the mechanics around one were very on theme, and also played with area control, and generally spanning a larger swath of what the vampire brings in terms of a concept. Coffins would be an interesting idea to play with in terms of spy-gameplay and the siegers having some class to counter.

Being a vampire hunter, and hunting out vampires...sounds fun.

That sounds amazing, the kind of input I was hoping for. As for area control, traditional vampire horror stories are usually about the monster isolating its victims and killing them, which is what I was trying to go for with the concept.

Obviously we'll also need a class thats TERRIBLE at 1v1 but can kill entire armies solo. That way its balanced :)

A lot of MMOs have classes like that, usually the crowd control ones.

Wow, such venom in here.  

I don't think the idea of having something extremely 1v1 focused is really a bad idea as long as it's balanced appropriately.  Let's just throw some realistic numbers around as an idea.  

=====

Let's say we have a discipline that will apply a "mark" on a target.  Once that mark is applied it cannot be remove until the target is dead or 3 minutes has passed. Once you place this mark, you are committed. 

Against the marked target you do +50% damage  

Against all other targets you do -50% damage  

Against the marked target you take -25% damage  

Against all other targets you receive +100% damage   

Now, the exact numbers would require balancing but the idea would you would want to steer away from this skill if your target has even a single person who could back them up but drastically increase your power in a clean 1v1 situation.  The real drawback is that in other than a 1v1 situation it's completely useless and wastes an important discipline slot.

We're leaning heavily away from a single archetype being able to 1v1 any other archetype.

Also, our vamp discipline is likely to result in perks at night and drawbacks at day.

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

We're leaning heavily away from a single archetype being able to 1v1 any other archetype.

Also, our vamp discipline is likely to result in perks at night and drawbacks at day.

Day/Night cycle confirmed? Would be cool to see there Were Disciplines work in a similar manner, have a moon cycle system and have bonuses during certain cycles.

I have another suggestion to make this more cool. I WILL FIGHT FOR YOU VAMPIRE CONCEPT!

Vampires have territory...right?

We have vampires with turf wars, and whoever's the top dog, is like a vampire mob boss.

What if that guy got a % of the power of his underlings? Sort of like a king vampire for the archetype, and a self contained power struggle with in the archetype?

Now you've got different systems in place to make only a few of the assassins truly scary, and the others are more about experiencing the theme of the class...

and they own a certain area...and now you've got more area-based stuff to work into the struggle of them keeping coffins safe, and stuff.

Keep the dream alive!

Edited by Zomnivore

Its weird but as this seems to be like a MMOBA with longer match times(is: campaign lengths) they can take some tips on balancing and building archetypes that way... Assassin style characters with low sustain DMG, high burst DMG, and they go squish easily... Tanky support styles, casters with sustained DMG and utility, etc...

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

That sounds amazing, the kind of input I was hoping for. As for area control, traditional vampire horror stories are usually about the monster isolating its victims and killing them, which is what I was trying to go for with the concept.

A lot of MMOs have classes like that, usually the crowd control ones.

Yeah i was a Stormcaller in Rift, thats kind of how they were. Bad at 1v1, terrible even. Very powerful against groups, since their spells chained and bounced. literally doing more damage to a larger group. In theory anyways, i hear they're useless now :(

Its weird but as this seems to be like a MMOBA with longer match times(is: campaign lengths) they can take some tips on balancing and building archetypes that way... Assassin style characters with low sustain DMG, high burst DMG, and they go squish easily... Tanky support styles, casters with sustained DMG and utility, etc...

Having a server being reset after awhile, does not make a game MOBA style. 

I find it an odd comparison really.

If you think about it, almost all MMOs have had their severs reset AND have had a total change in enviroment everytime an expansion came out. But you keep your character(s).

As an example, everytime WoW makes a new expansion, you are not really using any of the old areas anymore.

They even had all their old zones totally revamped.

Does that make WoW a MOBA on the PvP servers there?

I would say no.

How about MMOs with BGs?

Are these MOBAs?

I would still say no, and these have much more in common with MOBAs than CF does.

It is ok to try to use labels, but if you go too broad, the labels become meaningless.

MMO as a label is pretty meaningless by now. So is RPG.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

How is it not especially with some of the import rule sets? Campaigns where everyone starts with no items, on a fresh map, fight over control points for resources and are focused on PvP win conditions in which the match/campaign ends and you choose a new one? Now I admit some rulesets are more mobalike and others are more battleground styled but the point stands.

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

How is it not especially with some of the import rule sets? Campaigns where everyone starts with no items, on a fresh map, fight over control points for resources and are focused on PvP win conditions in which the match/campaign ends and you choose a new one? Now I admit some rulesets are more mobalike and others are more battleground styled but the point stands.

All I am saying is that your definition becomes so broad that it becomes meaningless.

I am also sure that once we get our hands on the, it won't feel anything like a MBA.

But, not trying to start a fight over it ????

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Lol touche sir I will agree to disagree

I think the MOBA comparison is more relevant with the combat style since we will lack healers.  Healers have been such a strong trope in fantasy MMO's that it's hard to come up with an example that matches Crowfall.  MOBA's generally have no healers so it's easier to find a comparison.  

In fact, there's even a third person view, action combat MOBA called Smite that has a system pretty close to what I think we can expect from Crowfall.  Not exact of course, but closer than I think many MMO's will compare.  

I don't think the "campaigns" are very comparable to a MOBA though.  MOBA's generally have a very strict formula that only gets changed in a minor way from game to game.  It's that each team has "lanes" that need to be pushed.  As you push you'll hit some sort of strong guardian (tower) that essentially is a gear check.  Your main goal is to destroy the enemies main base at the end of the lanes and then it's game over.  Other than perhaps in some campaigns having to destroy a base... there's really been none of that discussed for Crowfall.

Edited by Shadowmant

this archetype is really good and also known as the 'glass cannon' theme. other names include the one-hit wonder, the noob-tube and more that escape me atm. basically, i think this idea has a potential to up the skill level for groups by forcing them to balance their teams.

j6CmSi3.png

So, early WoW rogues?

That turned out to be popular.

yss, vision, it's important in a strategic wargame. ^_^

Hehe I guess you missed when we asked a while back and got an uncertain answer.

I think the custarder you quoted agrees with you though