Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eonwe

Put some real work into the banner system

I know that I want a unique banner. While I do have access to the expanded guild heraldry creator, I'm really hoping that the heraldry creator will be very flexible and allow for some creativity. Please try to allow layering of symbols, ability to use more than a couple colors, etc. If this is a 'Game of Thrones' style game, then banners should really reflect the guild carrying them.

also mods please don't delete this topic this is a real suggestion

Edited by Eonwe

gtlLXYT.png

I am actually glad this is a discussion.  I very much like the thought of well devised and unique banners.  You can obviously see the art that goes into peoples forum signature.  And I don't like that fact that 500 guilds will divide themselves among 15 single symbols and 30 bi-color'able colors (not numbers referenced from anywhere).  People have always memorized banners and they're carriers, and always will.  Even today we use flags to represent countries, people, social groups, illnesses, etc.

Edited by toteofmagik

"Where there is unity there is always victory." -- Publilius Syrus

"If there weren't luck involved, I would win every time." -- Phil Hellmuth
"A good soldier does not fight because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -- G. K. Chesterton

Special flag is very important. When flag is burn is important that ppl are able to see what is burning so can cheer. To burn flag was always very good for town morale I can be witness. Please allow for most detail in flag creation so otherwise does not diminish effect.

very true. I think that's why they will offer a purchase for a custom guild crest as an individual item for those who didn't grab it in the KS package. There are tons of guild crest systems out there for guilds created in GW/GW2, WoW, Shadowbane, etc that they'll want that crest to transfer over to crowfall without ACE having to make a giant guild crest system.

I like to design banners/sigils/emblems on my spare time, to use for different purposes. I'd kill to see one of them on a banner in the game.

Maybe you could do like a Players workshop in EQN? A system where players can send in their banners to be approved or rejected by the dev's.

I am fairly certain if they made a few default blank banners in various colors, they could simply add the insignia on another layer.

Here are some banners I made by the way, because I feel like sharing!

father_law_symbol_update_by_solidstriderlama_alpha_5_by_solidstrider-d89qsvi.jpg

Lf6MJUL.png

Meryk - Member

I know that I want a unique banner. While I do have access to the expanded guild heraldry creator, I'm really hoping that the heraldry creator will be very flexible and allow for some creativity. Please try to allow layering of symbols, ability to use more than a couple colors, etc. If this is a 'Game of Thrones' style game, then banners should really reflect the guild carrying them.

also mods please don't delete this topic this is a real suggestion

Game of thrones have bicolored banners of animals and objects tough, nothing more than that

i am all for custom ones however

Game of thrones have bicolored banners of animals and objects tough, nothing more than that

i am all for custom ones however

GoT doesn't have as many armies as this game will have.

"A good soldier does not fight because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -- G. K. Chesterton

Q8kAtby.jpg

Banners were awesome back in WAR. You could capture an enemies banner, as I recall you just got renown -a PvP points system- for doing so, but it would be great to be able to keep an enemy guilds banner as a trophy.

I think it would be very cool to have items that carried banners, and not just fixed banners on our cloaks and such.  Trading and decorating with those items, be a small gesture, I like.

I really hate when MMOs give the player a limited set of stock images for their guild symbols. I'd like to be able to go in and design my own, pixel by pixel and not just use the same stock image of a wolf or boar every other guild has to choose between.

I really hate when MMOs give the player a limited set of stock images for their guild symbols. I'd like to be able to go in and design my own, pixel by pixel and not just use the same stock image of a wolf or boar every other guild has to choose between.

They're are other games that have used image importing.  This seems like the prime game for that kind of content.

Well, the internet isn't mature enough. hell, i'm not mature enough. I spent 5 minutes looking at pixelated penii before i realized I couldn't even post one that would last longer than 5 minutes (pun!).

Well, the internet isn't mature enough. hell, i'm not mature enough. I spent 5 minutes looking at pixelated penii before i realized I couldn't even post one that would last longer than 5 minutes (pun!).

It's no different than any other policing.  If there's a problem, some one will report it.  Just like choosing to use a questionable name, then later someone complains and the devs make you change it.

It's no different than any other policing.  If there's a problem, some one will report it.  Just like choosing to use a questionable name, then later someone complains and the devs make you change it.

True, though I do think people should both be charged for this privilege and then have it go through a approval process of what would fit in the game. I may come off as a killjoy here, but one of the things that instantly made me quit archeage, was the player made content. What little immersion I could find in the games lacklustre story, was instantly sucked away when I walked into town and saw this. And I know from conversations I was far from the only one.

4_zpscf761051.jpg

screenshot0989_zpsdc525cfa.jpg

Edited by Acidstrider

Lf6MJUL.png

Meryk - Member

Something that could really help this is having design guidelines. It may sound a bit harsh at first, but a little restriction can lead to a lot of creativity.

I would argue for the following:

Maximum 3 colors, not including the background.

All solid colors, no gradients or transparencies etc.

No words (you can have a stylized set of shapes that seem to be composed by letters, but you shouldn't be writing words/names on the banner).

Acid's banners would fit these guidelines, as would my avatar, as would the GoT banners, but tote and courant's avatars wouldn't, nor the screenshot that Acid posted.

With these restrictions, plus a pay-store option to submit, and then either a report system or a pre-approval system for quality control, you could have a really awesome set of guild banners that still maintain a theme.

Something that could really help this is having design guidelines. It may sound a bit harsh at first, but a little restriction can lead to a lot of creativity.

I would argue for the following:

Maximum 3 colors, not including the background.

All solid colors, no gradients or transparencies etc.

No words (you can have a stylized set of shapes that seem to be composed by letters, but you shouldn't be writing words/names on the banner).

Acid's banners would fit these guidelines, as would my avatar, as would the GoT banners, but tote and courant's avatars wouldn't, nor the screenshot that Acid posted.

With these restrictions, plus a pay-store option to submit, and then either a report system or a pre-approval system for quality control, you could have a really awesome set of guild banners that still maintain a theme.

I don't want my 'avatar' on a banner in game anyway... lol