Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Roles > Classes

OK, let me explain what I think in this. I don't really care how you call a class and if a class (example warrior) has 20 different ways of 'speccing' itself. What I care about is that those different ways actually lead to different play style.

1 of the main MMORPG that failed this massively is WOW. In the end, that you play a Mage (all 3 specs), a Warlock (all 3 specs) or a hunter (all 3 specs) which was supposed to lead to 9 different 'styles', they in fact all feel the exact same. Learn in what sequence to smash the buttons for the optimized damage sequence, use in rare occasions that CC to stop an opponent from casting something and if targetted, smash that mitigation button.

Creating classes so that in the end, they feel the exact same is just wrong. Less classes with more unique roles the better. Those same 3 classes, in a PvP game, could easily have been turned into:

-Warlock: The ultimate damage dealer. Pick this class, you will top the DPS charter uncontested by anyone but other warlocks supposed you are able to actually lock and load.

-Mage: A ranged damage dealer with good damage capabilities who rely on crowd controls to compensate for its lost in damage compared to the warlock. Its survival is better but still limited. This hero relies on preventing his enemy from moving to be able to deal damage to it.

-The hunter: A ultra mobile damage dealer who can easily chase almost dead ennemies to ensure he finishes them off. This class lacks the damage of the other 2 but has much better survivability via its mobility and can easily top the DPS charter as his downtime in combat is very minimal.

There, now, balancing classes around this should always lead to different play styles... Where a warlock will shine if he can capitalize on the CC of his teammates, he will fail if poorly positioned / alone. A mage will rely less on his damage and more on his CC, to both keep his allies alive with a clutch CC as well as allowing a teammate or himself to get the killshot on a running away enemy with a well timed root. The hunter on his side actually makes the difference in a battle by finishing off running away enemies and not by dealing the raw damage necessary to make the enemy run away. Failing to actually play your role will just lead to subpar outcome compared to picking a class more suited for that role.

Edited by newface

OK, let me explain what I think in this. I don't really care how you call a class and if a class (example warrior) has 20 different ways of 'speccing' itself. What I care about is that those different ways actually lead to different play style.

1 of the main MMORPG that failed this massively is WOW. In the end, that you play a Mage (all 3 specs), a Warlock (all 3 specs) or a hunter (all 3 specs) which was supposed to lead to 9 different 'styles', they in fact all feel the exact same. Learn in what sequence to smash the buttons for the optimized damage sequence, use in rare occasions that CC to stop an opponent from casting something and if targetted, smash that mitigation button.

Creating classes so that in the end, they feel the exact same is just wrong. Less classes with more unique roles the better. Those same 3 classes, in a PvP game, could easily have been turned into:

-Warlock: The ultimate damage dealer. Pick this class, you will top the DPS charter uncontested by anyone but other warlocks supposed you are able to actually lock and load.

-Mage: A ranged damage dealer with good damage capabilities who rely on crowd controls to compensate for its lost in damage compared to the warlock. Its survival is better but still limited. This hero relies on preventing his enemy from moving to be able to deal damage to it.

-The hunter: A ultra mobile damage dealer who can easily chase almost dead ennemies to ensure he finishes them off. This class lacks the damage of the other 2 but has much better survivability via its mobility and can easily top the DPS charter as his downtime in combat is very minimal.

There, now, balancing classes around this should always lead to different play styles... Where a warlock will shine if he can capitalize on the CC of his teammates, he will fail if poorly positioned / alone. A mage will rely less on his damage and more on his CC, to both keep his allies alive with a clutch CC as well as allowing a teammate or himself to get the killshot on a running away enemy with a well timed root. The hunter on his side actually makes the difference in a battle by finishing off running away enemies and not by dealing the raw damage necessary to make the enemy run away. Failing to actually play your role will just lead to subpar outcome compared to picking a class more suited for that role.

The thing about having such clearly defined interdependent roles can make running around alone a problem. Toe to toe any class should be able to use the strengths of that class to defeat any other class, if played well. This is where skill comes in.

I like your ideas, but they seem too narrow for my tasting. I dislike the whole idea of the 3 class system, as there will normally be some sense of a rock, paper scissors deal.

Perhaps if the classes were broadened it would appeal more to my imagery.

"I came, I saw, I conquered."