Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eldreth

Speculation Thread 1/13/15

Some interesting stuff in the info drop today!

Personally I am most intrigued by two stats shown in the Character Creation preview:  Hunger Resistance and Warmth Conversion.

These could represent a great many possible mechanics. I think the most intuitive, because we've seen them in some other games is: having to eat food or acquire warmth a part of a regular routine, in order to stave off unfortunate side effects.

I think that's pretty simplistic though. I think these are early hints at siege mechanics.

For instance, hunger could be a measure of how well supplied your garrison is. Keeps and fortified garrisons inherently posses a defensive bonus historically -- maybe this transfers into a boost (or maybe even ownership) in-game. As the time you are besieged increases, your garrison's supplies could dwindle, and your own personal hunger would suffer as a result. Maybe some archetypes are more resistant to this penalty than are others.

What are your theories?

just an Eldreth

Interesting stuff dropped today, lets get into it.

Character Creation 

1. Archetypes

Crowfall_Character_Creat.jpg

In the image, you can clearly see, there is a slider at the right side. That means there is/will be more Archetypes. 24 at max for now. 

2. Attributes

Crowfall_Character_Creat2.jpg

Same at this image, you can clearly see the slider at the right. Also, you can see the attributes are divided into 2 bars. That means there will be more elemental type damage or other stuff. Same for resistances or other attributes. I think about 14 +/- still hidden or check 4.Promotion classes

3. Selection

Crowfall_Character_Creat3.jpg

You can see there are two dots there. That means 2 phases of character creation. This is the 1st one, and if you click the arrow there will most likely be the 2nd one. I think that 2nd phase can be for your character visual mod or also spending your creation points. 

4. Promotion classes

Crowfall_Character_Creat4.jpg

Allright, we got archetypes, but what else? I think this one might be biggest secret hidden in this image. Check it out. It says Knight, and the INFO text is clearly more visible than Promotion classes. In the INFO panel there are no stuff about promotion classes displayed. So: either the stuff hidden in INFO panel is not only about attributtes but also contains info about promotion classes. Or, you can also click on those INFO/Promotion class texts and it will switch tabs between. Hard to say

Edited by kopko

i think there will be a cooking skill and you eat food........................... suprise!

and warmth conversion to transfer heat when you hug someone to death in this cute game

My eyes are looking at the "Dash Count" on the character screen.  While I am initially excited because of possible "dodging", shortly afterwards weary because of unintended consequences (Hyper mobile characters, use for long distance travel), and at the end intrigused because these guys have "Hunger Resistance" and "Warmth Conversion".

I think "Dash Count" refers to your short term cap on dodge maneuvers.

I also think the "Hunger Resistance" and "Warmth Conversion" hint at unforgiving wilderness.  Could be specific to sieges, but I do not think that's the case.

I am unsure whether "Power Damage" refers to "Hold Left Mouse Button" attacks or the damage your skills do (Abilities on hotbar).  The universal power cooldown leads me to believe its a stronger basic attack.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

gah....i hate guessing...

so, just going over what we do see, it looks like a lot of UO and SB concepts have made it in...

so many base classes, now add further customization (how many for each Archetype?) and appearences lead one to think there will be a hug variability of customization in your Build possibilities

seeing the Resist and other stats fills meh with glee....glee i tell you.... because it indicates a high degree of Player driven choices in both Build and gear loadout

and just these few things coupled wiht a pic of a SIEGE!!!! make yer olde Doc way happy in the pants...

now, all i hafta do is survive the anticipation until the timer goes down....OR i get mah beta, which ever comes first....

have pity on an olde d00d....let meh in...mah heart (such as it is) can't take the strain, and i'm olde...i could :::cough cough:: fewkin' expire before the beta, ffs!!!

have pity....

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Maybe those archetypes who have higher damage output will naturally have lower hunger resistance so their team will need to ensure they are kept fed, clothed, etc. Want protection? Feed your soldiers. Want food? Protect your bakers and farmers.

That would suggest they are mixing in some elements we have seen in SIMS so the characters will require a certain amount of upkeep in order to perform effectively.

Mebbe.

kWGklHs.png

This is all rampant speculation and opinions are my own.

Character Selection

B7PZH41CYAE9IRX.jpg(source)

On the left side, we can see that there are 12 different archetypes. My guess is that these are the games' various classes.

Starting from the top row, the first three archetypes appear to be wearing heavy armor. We know that the second archetype is the Knight, so I'm guessing the first and third archetype are variances on these. (ie: Paladin, Barbarian, etc.)

What really interests me is the last one in that row. The character shown appears to be wearing heavy armor, but he's also carrying a book. Since he doesn't appear to be carrying any melee weapons, my guess is that this is a battlemage.

Moving onto the middle row! The first archetype appears to be wearing a quiver. We can't really see what she's holding, but I'm guessing that's an archer of sorts. The second archetype doesn't have any visual clues as to what it could be, so I can't really make any guesses as of right now. The third class is wearing a mask and is wearing only cloth armor, so my guess is that this is a thief. The final archetype's face is covered up by the Knight's sword, but you can see what appears to be a fireball in the upper right hand corner of the image. I'm not really sure what this could even be!

The final row shows some really odd-looking characters. The first archetype is a... deer?! I have absolutely no idea what this could even be. The second archetype is some sort of fantastical creature. Again, I'm clueless here. The third archetype looks like a druid; the image is practically screaming 'nature'. The final archetype shows an older looking man with either a really long beard or incense in front of him. (It kinda looks like white smoke.) I'm not sure which though, but we'll probably find out eventually.

Below all the archetypes, we see something called "creation points". I have absolutely no idea what these are used for: there's no other clues that relate to this. It seems interesting though: perhaps creating a character comes at a cost?

Alright, moving on to the right side of the picture. This panel shows information on your character's stats.

The basic attributes are:

• Strength (probably damage)
  • Dexterity (attack speed?)
  • Spirit (magic-related?)
  • Intellect (also magic-related?)
  • Armor (probably damage reduction)
  • Movement (how fast you move, duh)

There's not much interesting stuff here except for Spirit and Intellect. I'm curious to see what Spirit and Intellect do; will there be two different practices of magic?

There's more detailed statistics as well. I'll only talk about the ones I find interesting since there's a lot of them.

• Critical Hit Damage: Traditionally, crits do a set amount of extra damage. However, this stat shows that we might be able to change what that amount is!
  • Power Damage/Cooldown: My guess is that you can go into a "Power Stance" or execute a Power Attack. This stance/attack will cause more damage to be dealt, but it comes at the cost of a cooldown. This leaves your opponent an opportunity attack.
  • Fire/Ice Damage: The fact that this is on a melee class is pretty cool.
  • Warmth Conversion: This stat will probably help your character survive in colder climates. If this is true, then weather will be playing a huge role in the game.
  • Dash Count: Probably works like Epona in Ocarina of Time. You get a set number of dashes, which regenerate over time. If you let them run out, it takes longer for them to regenerate.
  • Life on Hit: No idea. Perhaps life drain?
  • Hunger Resistance: Probably means we'll have to eat and drink to survive.

The other interesting thing on the right side of the screenshot is "Promotion Classes". My guess is that at a certain level, you'll be able to cross-train another archetype or take one of many paths further into your archetype.

I'll do the next screenshot when I have time to write about it. Sorry about the wall of text!

Great overview manofbass! Definitely very excited.

I'm in the minority I see about the hunger resistance! That's OK, pioneers of thought often fight an uphill battle against their peers! :D

I just think "eat some food" is too mundane for this crowd (of developers). Could be wrong!

just an Eldreth

There's not much interesting stuff here except for Spirit and Intellect. I'm curious to see what Spirit and Intellect do; will there be two different practices of magic?

• Life on Hit: No idea. Perhaps life drain?
  • Hunger Resistance: Probably means we'll have to eat and drink to survive.

(Modified from original)

To address those areas:

1. If the Spirit/Int stats are like in SB then it would go like this: Spirit raised your mana pool ie what you need to power a spell, Intelligence raised how much damage or healing a spell did particularly the max damage cap. However in SB Intelligence also played a factor in how much you could train things such as weapon skills, Armor skill and Defense skills which raised your Attack rating, Defense rating and such. Spirit also could raise you min damage cap on spells. So until we see implementation we won't know how close/far those stats are from SB

2. As to Hunger Resistance an old UO player in mumble told me they had it there and what it did was prevent skill decay. In UO he said you got hungry and your skills started to drop 

3. As to life per hit it would be a health drain, probably weapon based.

Edited by gauis

I just think "eat some food" is too mundane for this crowd (of developers). Could be wrong!

In the name of rampant speculation...

I really hope food's value in the game is mainly as a resource which has to be physically available and used to avoid a debuff. Maybe as a small group this would just require your scouts to "hunt" once in a while. But as a kingdom it could require large tracts of land and a big network of NPC's to generate.

If something like that were the case, there would be more opportunity for nuanced warfare. Hijacking shipments of food and goods, attacking farmlands and shutting down supply.

Remember this is little more than concept art. What you see now will probably end up looking vastly different in the end result.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

In the name of rampant speculation...

I really hope food's value in the game is mainly as a resource which has to be physically available and used to avoid a debuff. Maybe as a small group this would just require your scouts to "hunt" once in a while. But as a kingdom it could require large tracts of land and a big network of NPC's to generate.

If something like that were the case, there would be more opportunity for nuanced warfare. Hijacking shipments of food and goods, attacking farmlands and shutting down supply.

Absolutely! GW2 had something similar with their RvRvR. You would intercept supply caravans and such, but it was a glorified points system. I want something more substantial.

just an Eldreth

Hunger and warmth stuck out to me as well. 

@Eldreth: I believe the reason most people see hunger as a "eat some food" mechanic is because it is tied to the character.  If it was a siege/fortress/city related mechanic, I do not think it would be one of the character-specific stats.  That being said, that sort of system is entirely plausible with NPC's in a fortress and whatnot.  The only information we have now is just this character creation screenshot.

One thing I'm super excited for?  There seems to be a LOT of archetype choices!  Can't wait to see them further explored!

I like how you pointed out there are only 2 dots at the bottom.  The page being showed, and another. 

What worries me is that if there is only one more page for character creation, that seems to indicate there is no way to choose your race.  Also, either the second page (2nd dot) will lead to a visual customization page, or a stats/attributes customization page, or both.  I hope it's both, but what are the odds, considering how different visual and stat customization are, you'd figure they'd deserve their own sections.  If it's just one or the other, that makes me sadder.  I'd want both visual AND stat customization.  And the ability to pick any sex or race, with any lore-based restrictions they saw fit.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

The next page is likely where we spend those customization points; which will most likely be stats and/or skills.

Putting visual customization on that page is odd and leads me to think there might not be visual customization. We are literally selecting predefined characters (visually speaking.)