Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Argasoth

Artcraft get a free HTC Vive, I mean why not?!

If that were true, third person shooters would be more popular than first person shooters. Please get back to me with a report on why FPS is more popular than TPS.

If that were true, third person shooters would be more popular than first person shooters. Please get back to me with a report on why FPS is more popular than TPS.

First Person Shooter (FPS) is more of a genre than camera orientation.  I can play FPS games in Third Person View.

"Where there is unity there is always victory." -- Publilius Syrus

"If there weren't luck involved, I would win every time." -- Phil Hellmuth
"A good soldier does not fight because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -- G. K. Chesterton

First Person Shooter (FPS) is more of a genre than camera orientation.  I can play FPS games in Third Person View.

Wut.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Wut.

They are separate genres, but many shooting games today do both.  The gap is essentially closed. Edit: In the PC world.  I have no interest in consoles.

Edited by toteofmagik

"A good soldier does not fight because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -- G. K. Chesterton

VR is the wave of the future. Stop standing in the way of the future.

Yeah, no kidding; some of the resistance to VR being displayed on this board is absolutely ridiculous. It's as though some people just can't handle the idea that VR headsets will provide a better way of playing MMORPGs then the clunky desktop set-ups PC games have been using for the last couple of decades. It's more than just what you can see in VR, it's about how you see things. When the battlefield becomes more than a textured level design, when VR reveals the battlefield as a an idiosyncratic virtual world, a real place worth fighting over, that's when the tide of battle will turn in favour of the VR players. MMORPGs are going to change forever thanks to VR and unless people get their head around that fact they are going to be caught off-guard.

They are separate genres, but many shooting games today do both.  The gap is essentially closed. Edit: In the PC world.  I have no interest in consoles.

You make an interesting point, but perhaps not in the way you originally intended. The versatility of modem FPS games, being able to account for multiple ways of viewing the game, offers a good loss for MMORPGs as well. You see, VR represents a chance to finally end the stagnation that has crippled the MMORPG genre for more than decade, at last allowing innovative new gameplay mechanics to flourish. Yet in order to achieve this level of innovation even the way gamers play MMORPGs must be reconsidered. To that end, VR headsets will provide a new perspective on what is important in a MMORPG; the emphasis on detail and resulting greater situational awareness will make games revaluation how they play the game and how they fight in the game. The nature of PVP battles will change, where timing and understanding of the virtual landscape will prove the decisive factors, all thanks to the power of VR.

Edited by Kintor

You make an interesting point, but perhaps not in the way you originally intended. The versatility of modem FPS games, being able to account for multiple ways of viewing the game, offers a good loss for MMORPGs as well. You see, VR represents a chance to finally end the stagnation that has crippled the MMORPG genre for more than decade, at last allowing innovative new gameplay mechanics to flourish. Yet in order to achieve this level of innovation even the way gamers play MMORPGs must be reconsidered. To that end, VR headsets will provide a new perspective on what is important in a MMORPG; the emphasis on detail and resulting greater situational awareness will make games revaluation how they play the game and how they fight in the game. The nature of PVP battles will change, where timing and understanding of the virtual landscape will prove the decisive factors, all thanks to the power of VR.

Yes, but in order to argue that there will be an advantage in the scope of CF, all players would be required to play in first person.  As it stands, this game won't be played in first person perspective.  Which automatically gives the disadvantage to those that are playing exclusively in first person.

Edit: I'm not arguing against a future of VR, I'm simply saying that your idea of VR being some advantage in CF is ludicrous.

I am all for playing with VR.  But I don't see it becoming mainstream in multiplayer games in it's current version.  I'm not saying it won't be fun, but I doubt it will be competitive, or an advantage.  I've always said, when there's a bio implant ready, I'll beta test it.  Til then, these are all toys and hype.

Edited by toteofmagik

Edit: I'm not arguing against a future of VR, I'm simply saying that your idea of VR being some advantage in CF is ludicrous.

Yet you are arguing against the future of all gaming because you don't realise how VR will change the way people interact and fight in MMORPGs. It's no longer enough for a player to fight while treating the battlefield like it's some sort of nuisance, a distraction to mindless and objectiveless violence. Rather, victory will belong to the VR players, who thanks to immersive power of VR will be able to identify when and where to fight, turning the tide of countless battles. Crowfall, as the world's first VRMMORPG, will encourage a new way of thinking in regards to PVP combat, those unable to see the true nature of virtual worlds will be outmanoeuvred at every turn.

Edited by Kintor

Yet you are arguing against the future of all gaming because you don't realise how VR will change the way people interact and fight in MMORPGs. It's no longer enough for a player to fight while treating the battlefield like it's some sort of nuisance, a distraction to mindless and objectiveless violence. Rather, victory will belong to the VR players, who thanks to immersive power of VR will be able to identify when and where to fight, turning the tide of countless battles. Crowfall, as the world's first VRMMORPG, will encourage a new way of thinking in regards to PVP combat, those unable to see the true nature of virtual worlds will be outmanoeuvred at every turn.

How is saying that VR won't make you better in CF arguing against VR in general?  VR will have a place, but that place is not an advantage in this one game, named Crowfall.

How is saying that VR won't make you better in CF arguing against VR in general?  VR will have a place, but that place is not an advantage in this one game, named Crowfall.

The issue here is that you don't have any concept of how VR will revolutionise gaming, especially the MMORPG genre. The immersive power of VR will change how people play MMORPGS, meaning that the way VR players fight will be quite different to any of the unimaginative attack patterns you've had to deal with in earlier PVP games. When to fight and how to fight, these are the subtle qualities that VR players will excel at, when such insight allows VR players to decide the outcome of battles in Crowfall.

The issue here is that you don't have any concept of how VR will revolutionise gaming, especially the MMORPG genre. The immersive power of VR will change how people play MMORPGS, meaning that the way VR players fight will be quite different to any of the unimaginative attack patterns you've had to deal with in earlier PVP games. When to fight and how to fight, these are the subtle qualities that VR players will excel at, when such insight allows VR players to decide the outcome of battles in Crowfall.

LOL.  I find it hilarious that because someone disagrees with you using arguments that you can't counter on the concept of advantage in a particular game, that they somehow don't understand future implications of VR.  I do understand the future, you simply don't understand the today.

I am going to digress and leave you to your devices (pun intended).  You are by far one of those most blindly fanatical people I've met, and I'm not going to mention who beat you on the list for the sake of forum rules.  There are a few churches and governments that could really use your ignorance.

LOL.  I find it hilarious that because someone disagrees with you using arguments that you can't counter on the concept of advantage in a particular game, that they somehow don't understand future implications of VR.  I do understand the future, you simply don't understand the today.

You say understand what VR means for gaming but every time the advantages of VR are mentioned you shrink back, as though you are unable to accept that the MMORPG genre will be fundamentally changed thanks to VR. Indeed, it won't be the MMORPG genre anymore, it will be the VRMMORPG genre, as less ambitious MMOs that don't use VR quickly fall from grace because they lack the immersive quality which makes VR so compelling. Crowfall too will be a more dynamic game thanks to VR, as the tide of battle will be decided by the VR players - immersive VR gameplay means knowing when and where to strike so that victory can be seized in a PVP battle.

Too many words directed at people.  Play nice.  I don't want to close this as it is an interesting topic with VR being a stretch goal.

I am going to digress and leave you to your devices (pun intended).  You are by far one of those most blindly fanatical people I've met, and I'm not going to mention who beat you on the list for the sake of forum rules.  There are a few churches and governments that could really use your ignorance.

I would like to point out, in regards to forum rules, that the parts I left out were likely a ban'able offense.  The comment regarding some influential institutions having good use for that exquisite skill set was a compliment, not a personal attack.

Having an Occulus myself I'll say this much, Its not good in MMO's you lose, so much field of vision, where people can see around then, behind themselves, around objects etc in third person, first person would put you at a distinct disadvantage particularly in a PVP game. it might be worth while in a campaign where everyone is set to first-person view automatically. which would be interesting to say the least.

Having an Occulus myself I'll say this much, Its not good in MMO's you lose, so much field of vision, where people can see around then, behind themselves, around objects etc in third person, first person would put you at a distinct disadvantage particularly in a PVP game. it might be worth while in a campaign where everyone is set to first-person view automatically. which would be interesting to say the least.

VR is a perfect for a VRMMORPG like Crowfall, especially the newer consumer ready VR headsets that will be available by the time Crowfall is ready to launch in 2016. The Oculus Rift prototypes that you might be familiar with are nothing compared to what is coming next. Even my first generation Gear VR offers a better quality VR experience the Oculus Rift prototypes, thanks to the Gear VR's much higher quality screen. In this manner both the HTC Vive and the consumer version of the Oculus Rift will be another order of magnitude superior to the VR devices available today. So, that when Crowfall is ready for launch there will be compelling and cutting-edge VR headsets ready to provide VR players with a competitive and immersive gameplay experience. VR players will decide the outcome of battles in Crowfall's future, all thanks to the immersive power of VR, situational awareness is key and that is something only VR can provide.

Please let this thread die, stop posting.

Even when this thread ends the discussion about VR will continue, because ACE has promised VR support for Crowfall. This means that VR will be a part of Crowfall no matter what else happens in the lead up to the game's launch in 2016. Of course, getting a free HTC Vive headset from Valve from help ACE immensely, as is the original point of this thread. Not that you've ever been concerned with the merit of Valve's offer, you only balk at the fact that VR will change gaming forever.

Five pages later...

Field of vision, I know the occulus will let you have 110 degrees FOV which is better than most games atm (90 degrees in most cases) and I am sure that will only improve with later models. I guess if you compare it to the 3rd person from a distance view it will.

But the reason for using a VR headset isn't the pvp competitive edge, it's for the immmersion factor, when someone swings a massive two hander to chop your head off it actually looks real rather than being a 2" cluster of pixels you look at on your monitor...

Have any of the nay sayers actually tried a VR headset on at all? I find it shocking that as gamers that prospect does not apeal to you. The sense of scale alone is worth it.

Edited by Argasoth

I feel if the money could be used for the betterment of the overall game and not a gimmick, absolutely break one item off the Kickstarter. Most people would forgive them or even applaud them for dropping VR support.

As for the biased feedback, isn't that all game forums pre-launch ever are? I mean look at your posts here alone, you speak of being a new technology consumer and connoisseur. Here you are pitching for the development team to jump on the chance to get the development kit for this new virtual reality set and to immediately start the integration process so HTC can be a solid part of the Crowfall experience and not just some tacked on afterthought.

Yeah uh huh, you know what it is (pot and kettle, pot and kettle, pot and kettle, pot and kettle).

Not sure how I posed as a connoisseur by stating well established facts from integrating VR in games.

I don't see how my enthusiasm for a promised feature is biased?

On the other hand you seem awfully sore about the fact ACE did promise in a strech goal to do VR, if you did not like that maybe you shouldn't have pledged. I never meant this thread to become a warzone for people that are for and against VR as it really does not matter since ACE will do it regardless.

If you want to contribute try to post some constructive feedback instead of wasting everyone's time to read why you think we shouldnt have VR when we will have VR. If you really care about the game you should use your time trying to give ideas on how to improve the VR implementation...

Then again some people just want to see the world burn...