Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dead sparrow

Sieges: curious to hear from SB folks

Now that they've released additional info, including an image of a large-scale city siege, I was even more curious to hear from Shadowbane players.

My understanding is that sieges were part of SB...so I was hoping you guys could talk about that...what sieges were like, what you think of the image. I'm guessing you guys can bring some info to the table about the potential gameplay in CF.

I'm sure it will be different, but now that there's an image, and some character design info, it seems like SB folks are well-suited to process some of the teasers. Siege stuff is in a lot of games, but given the creative team involved with CF, I think it's safe to say shadowbane is an influence.

With the "city siege" pic, the scale of that battle is huge...what kind of guild sizes are we looking at? How did sieges work in SB, in terms of the coordination involved...length of time involved...and does the pic demonstrate any improvements over SB gameplay (i.e. does it take elements that were problematic and update them)? Also curious about how frequent the siege battles are...if you're in-game a lot, how much time is spent in sieges versus other activities?

I know you can only get so much from one image, but it definitely made me curious to hear reaction from SB peeps.

Edited by dead sparrow

I've seen banes with over 600 toons on the field myself. In SB seiging is the name of the game, quite litteraly. You lay a Bane stone to "Bane" someone. It is everything you lose and hours of hard work, you guild's home, and pride gone. Win, and the proof is in the pudding. It is interesting to me, im having trouble taking a seige seriously while playing a character from Beauty and the Beast (although if there blood and gore grappics could be a fun experience killing cinderella).

The size of the apparent siege and thing burning: +1

Wall Archers for that midievil feel:+1

The Custom feel with the graphics: +1 (even though i kids the art alot i do like it, being original wins)

The deciding factor is what will a siege MEAN. What do you gain/lose? How important is this fight to the player? 

That's where siege gaming becomes addicting. Destroying your enemies? Cool. Destroying your enemies, taking thier city, and putting your guild tag on it: Pro.

Basically someone would drop a bane stone outside the corner of the city walls. Then the offenders would drop bulwarks around the stone which spawn trebuchets. The bane would go live three days later at a time set by the defender.

When the bane went live all the walls, buildings and Tree of Life becomes vulnerable. Then the goal of the attackers is to break through the walls via trebuchet and destroy the tree of life. The defenders roll into wipe the attackers and destroy the bane stone before they destroy the ToL.

You can look up videos on YouTube.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Ok I'll be the first to step up and say going by the pic...It is using the SB siege system just with better graphics.

In SB the player built cities, after the first few months of release, were invulnerable to destruction and they provided X amount of protection slots for X amount of buildings in the city, depending on the rank of the city. Yes you had to rank up your city from R1 all the way to R7 and later they made a R8 realm control city system. This took time, gold and lots of farming.

Now if you disgruntled off another guild/nation they would either go to one of their own NPC's that was ranked up high enough and pay for it to make a "Bane Scroll" or pay another guild that had a high enough NPC to do it for them. The Bane scrolls level up in price the same way as the cities did.

You would then take the Bane scroll, go to the enemy city (and well in detection range) and then use the scroll to summon a "Bane Stone". These stones had to fallen within a certain distance to the middle of the city. So you were taking the chance of being killed and losing a multi million gold scroll that could then be used against you.

Once the Bane Stone was summoned the defending city had 24 hrs to set the time and date when their city would became vulnerable to attack. If they did not set it within that time frame the bane defaulted to 72 hrs after placement.

As to numbers, there was no set amount. Everyone and anyone could show up to fight and some guilds that I will not name could and did bring over 300 players to bane.

Banes also lasted until either the city was destroyed/captured or the Bane stone was destroyed, there was no set time limit. I personally fought in Banes that lasted 6, 8 and even over 12 hours.

Coordination was the key to winning banes unless you get Zerged under and why Guilds make spec groups whose powers and abilities complemented each other. These characters were not built with who was best in 1 v 1 fight, most weren't worth spit 1v1. Example one spec group my guild ran I made a High Defense warrior that wore 1 unarmed weapon for it's power blocks and a shield. It's only job was to go into the enemies stack and use a power from a discipline rune that prevented healing (balefume) and power block healers after the aoe spell wore off. I couldn't kill a butterfly but you had better pack your lunch and diner trying to kill me.

There is more in depth info here:

http://mordkessel.com/morloch/index.php?title=Bane

and a 12 min vid that was made from a 8 hr bane:

Also, guilds were banded into nations. You may only have 10 people in your guild but you can ally with other guilds under a nation and all guilds in the nation protect each other. Some guilds were huge affairs with a hundred casual players, others were smaller groups of dedicated players. So you might have a bame conflict of 10+ guilds with each member playing a dedicated role. Healing, guiding siege equipment, repairing walls, scouting, fighting. It was a marvel of coordination and tactics both to construct your character and to organize the forces. Your entire city was on the line. Not just the castle, but huge expensive buildings housing trainers and forges and merchants. There were both high costs to baning and high costs to repairing and defending.

seriously, this is great info, thanks for the descriptions, vids. i think looking at sb mechanics like this will be a great resource while we're in the pre-beta, speculation phase, especially as teasers come out, like the siege one today.

yer asking the right Question from the right folks, imo...

Banes were indeed the crucible for all of SB...the final harsh and impartial Judge of all the work your Guild did in building up toons, Cities and the like....the defining moment of your Teamwork and spec groups

all evolved fomr Launch until ShutDown....and Banes were very different between the two times as Players learned more about the World they played in than had ever been anticipated by those who originally wrote the Code as Players found new ways to stack stats/gear/Builds....as tactics evolved, and skill levels grew dramatically

the mechanics of it all others have described....but the mayhem, chaos and Glory....well...lemme do my Duke of URL thing...

if that doesn't get you pumped for the possibilities....then allow meh ta postulate you have no "soul" for this genre...

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

I would say to the Wizardy folks that haven't played any type of MMO that had a group warfare system, not just SB but even like GW2's WvW, and are still interested and talking about making your own guilds (as I glimpsed down in the Guild forum) and are going to hang in here to the end: Start now.

Get a Vent/TS3/Mumble or even a free Raidcall server. Start getting to know each other, joke, laugh, cry and raise some hell together.

Than try out either of the shadowbane emu's, which are free to download and play, or something like GW2's WvW system. But start gaming together now. You need to learn each others strengths and weaknesses (who plays a good healer, scout etc) before the beta because as I said in another thread the SB guilds already have that going in and if you don't you will find yourself on the bad side of a steep learning curve. This is what happened in SB when it went live, the Beta Guilds dominated early SB because besides knowing how the basics worked, they already had the coordination worked out and already knew who could do what, the new guilds didn't and when they got stomped on a lot of them left. I hope not to see that repeated here.

I would say to the Wizardy folks that haven't played any type of MMO that had a group warfare system, not just SB but even like GW2's WvW, and are still interested and talking about making your own guilds (as I glimpsed down in the Guild forum) and are going to hang in here to the end: Start now.

Get a Vent/TS3/Mumble or even a free Raidcall server. Start getting to know each other, joke, laugh, cry and raise some hell together.

Than try out either of the shadowbane emu's, which are free to download and play, or something like GW2's WvW system. But start gaming together now. You need to learn each others strengths and weaknesses (who plays a good healer, scout etc) before the beta because as I said in another thread the SB guilds already have that going in and if you don't you will find yourself on the bad side of a steep learning curve. This is what happened in SB when it went live, the Beta Guilds dominated early SB because besides knowing how the basics worked, they already had the coordination worked out and already knew who could do what, the new guilds didn't and when they got stomped on a lot of them left. I hope not to see that repeated here.

agreed, i never played sb, think this is definitely good advice.

http://www.angelfire.com/ex/xanten/

Check 'at out boyo but shield yer eyes from tha brightness.  It tells tha tale of one of tha most epic sieges 'at happened shortly after tha land of Aerynth came to be.  Hundreds were involved.  Tha scale was massive.  It lasted three straight days - day an night - as it was before tha changes 'at prevented a degree o' asset destruction before tha bane went live.  One of me fondest an' earliest memories.

This. Everyone has to learn to play their role. There are no successful heros in Shadowbane. Success comes from playing your role and supporting the guild.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

that being said...both EMU and MagicBane are NOT SB

they are bastard children, and can be enjoyed for what they are....but are NOT to be confused with SB, imo

just sayin'...

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

http://www.angelfire.com/ex/xanten/

Check 'at out boyo but shield yer eyes from tha brightness.  It tells tha tale of one of tha most epic sieges 'at happened shortly after tha land of Aerynth came to be.  Hundreds were involved.  Tha scale was massive.  It lasted three straight days - day an night - as it was before tha changes 'at prevented a degree o' asset destruction before tha bane went live.  One of me fondest an' earliest memories.

roleplayers!? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that being said...both EMU and MagicBane are NOT SB

they are bastard children, and can be enjoyed for what they are....but are NOT to be confused with SB, imo

just sayin'...

Excelsior!

I have never seen a more accurate post in my Life.

Shadowbane wasn't even Shadowbane... game had potential... launched... had some slip-ups... and failed to retain enough players to make it lucrative... at that point it was a game crippled by awful dev decisions to try and get back on its feet and it could never do that.

Similar thing happened to darkfall... and some say with shadowbane it all went downhill when ubisoft got on board during development...

roleplayers!? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ummm..that's TSP...and those Pirates will burn yer City down, kill everyone and assault the corpses...then loot you dry

just sayin'

in SB...RPers and even the carebears had long, sharp pointy teeth...

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

ummm..that's TSP...and those Pirates will burn yer City down, kill everyone and **** the corpses...then loot you dry

just sayin'

in SB...RPers and even the carebears had long, sharp pointy teeth...

Excelsior!

Verbin came late to SB, I don't he got experience the days of the Irekei and Elf role playing guilds, let alone The Shipwrecked Pirates. I OTOH started on the Chaos server and played on Mourning.