Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dead sparrow

Sieges: curious to hear from SB folks

ummm..that's TSP...and those Pirates will burn yer City down, kill everyone and **** the corpses...then loot you dry

just sayin'

in SB...RPers and even the carebears had long, sharp pointy teeth...

Excelsior!

LMAO i was in a RP Guild on UOfor a few months, the funny thing........ My character was a Butt Pirate on a never ending search for a cabbin boy. lol

So that was more sarcasm than anything..... but in character on the forums.............. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

gosh, i cannot WAIT for moar Seige info... i hate "guessing"

Verbin came late to SB, I don't he got experience the days of the Irekei and Elf role playing guilds, let alone The Shipwrecked Pirates. I OTOH started on the Chaos server and played on Mourning.

bah..Hy'shen was there till the end, and TSP was around for a LONG time

ignorance from an SBer is no excuse...but we'll cut him some slack i guess....

he must go to Blasphemous the Confessor and be purged of his Sins, then...get passed around the rest of the kiddies...just for Fun

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

I just want to know what the risk/reward is myself

looks like the risk is getting yer City burnt down

and for you...the reward is you getting to be Cinn's cabin boy!!!

Excelsior!

Edited by doc gonzo

FIQw0eP.png

that being said...both EMU and MagicBane are NOT SB

they are bastard children, and can be enjoyed for what they are....but are NOT to be confused with SB, imo

just sayin'...

Excelsior!

Very true, and crappier yet with low server populations and CN zeros, but at least a wiz player can get an idea of the scale of a seige and basic game dynamics. Not nearly as much fun for a noob though with no one else on noob isle but multi boxers and difficult to find your way around.

Anyone with 0 experience will HATE sbemo and MB.

Sieges were Shadowbane.  The created some of the most memorable experiences I hate in gaming.  Defending against an entire server and then burning it down until they closed it.

15v50 and winning.  15v50 and losing.  20v20 for hours.  

and my personal favorite BUCKET HEALING.  Suck it.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

I would say to the Wizardy folks that haven't played any type of MMO that had a group warfare system, not just SB but even like GW2's WvW, and are still interested and talking about making your own guilds (as I glimpsed down in the Guild forum) and are going to hang in here to the end: Start now.

Get a Vent/TS3/Mumble or even a free Raidcall server. Start getting to know each other, joke, laugh, cry and raise some hell together.

Than try out either of the shadowbane emu's, which are free to download and play, or something like GW2's WvW system. But start gaming together now. You need to learn each others strengths and weaknesses (who plays a good healer, scout etc) before the beta because as I said in another thread the SB guilds already have that going in and if you don't you will find yourself on the bad side of a steep learning curve. This is what happened in SB when it went live, the Beta Guilds dominated early SB because besides knowing how the basics worked, they already had the coordination worked out and already knew who could do what, the new guilds didn't and when they got stomped on a lot of them left. I hope not to see that repeated here.

Thank you so much for posting this.  THIS is the type of thing my Guild needs to know.

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

the mechanics of it all others have described....but the mayhem, chaos and Glory....well...lemme do my Duke of URL thing...

if that doesn't get you pumped for the possibilities....then allow meh ta postulate you have no "soul" for this genre...

Excelsior!

I've watched this vid the other day .... all I can say is that it made me drool and wanted to be there, even to die as a noob I am :P ... EPPIC!!

I've watched this vid the other day .... all I can say is that it made me drool and wanted to be there, even to die as a noob I am :P ... EPPIC!!

you can stay....

rilly, anyone that enjoys it and wants to figure it out is moar than welcome...there's ALWAYS some SB folks around to help...we call them Dragonscale

the rest...well, "we wish to establish trade"

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

So I put this in the other thread you posted on but I'll throw it here as well. It isn't a completely detailed explanation of the system but it covers a large portion of it. There was a ton more depth that existed but this kind of covers the surface of banes and how they changed over the years.

dead sparrow, on 13 Jan 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:snapback.png

this image makes me even more interested in hearing from the shadowbane folks...curious to know more about sieges in SB, how they worked, what they would have liked to see improved...and whether or not this image meets some of those expectations. 

Ok. So Banes from the 2003-2004 Era are a bit different than late 2004- Server down.

Basically players were able to build their cities just about any where on the world. Planting a Tree of Life(ToL) would terraform the land around it allowing you to place buildings on it. You were actually able to place buildings anywhere in the world during the 2003 - 2004 era. This was removed eventually and it was probably for stability reasons. Having random buildings around the world was somewhat taxing on the server I would imagine. Those buildings could also be burned down at any point so many times you would come across the husk of a building as you were running around the world.

Now these player cities had the ability to protect a certain amount of buildings through your ToL. These buildings could not be damaged unless the city were under the effect of a bane stone. Banes were the sieging mechanic in SB. The defenders of the city were able to set the time on a bane stone for when it would go live. What I don't remember for sure is if there were windows of time at this point where the defenders could set it. It could be that at this point in the game, you could set it during any time of the day. The servers at this point were pretty much all NA so people could have potentially set it for 3 in the morning(I think).

Another thing of note is that the amount of buildings that could be protected is small and the city walls could NOT be protected. This meant that many guilds would "prep" the city for a bane by showing up in the middle of the night to burn down walls. You probably have seen this referenced by people saying they would stay up all night sometimes fighting off attackers. This was the reason. It also was done just to piss someone off. Cities were not cheap to build so burning down someones unprotected buildings and walls was very expensive for a guild to replace(assuming they were not duping which was rampant for a majority of SB).

If a city was baned, once the time set by the defender went live, everything in the city was vulnerable, including the Tree of Life itself. Guilds were able to destroy or take over an enemy city by destroying the tree of life through a bane. The size of banes back then generally were massive but could be smaller depending on the guilds involved. Since the active population size held steady around 2k-2.5k back then, banes with as many as 500 people or more attending were possible.

This is where I should mention one of the major downfalls of SB came into play. The stability of the game back then was just awful. The servers didn't handle that many people in once place at one time and the client crashing was common place. Back then, it was not uncommon for me to crash 20-30 times a day. Banes that were big enough could end in just a slide show for a lot of people because of the amount of characters on the screen at once. The biggest bane I attended was probably on Vengeance server at The Lordknights capital and there could easily have been 1000 people there(There may have been actually less but it was absurd). It ended up crashing the server. It is honestly surprising that I made it through that period where it was super frustrating. Everything else about it was a lot of fun though.

I should also mention that banes could vary wildly in duration. Some did last over 12 hours. This was kinda rare but it did happen. Even your more modern banes can last for hours. I think the longest one I was involved in within the last year was somewhere around 5 hours. Generally this happens(these days) when it is poorly managed by the attacker or the defenders play a stalling game(or both).

Another aspect of banes that changed from the early days to the second expansion that released was that Spires were introduced. These provided special effects that could block different powers, amplify damage from different sources or debuff different stats. The most common used were no fly and no teleport spires. This made it is difficult for enemies to access the city because it prevented the primary sources of entering the city to be used at all. There were still other sources like spies in the guild, a set of bane discs called sapper and saboteur, and exploiting(this obviously was frowned upon but did happen).

That takes us to the end of 2004. Ubi bought out Wolfpack during this year and the changes that occurred may be unrelated and have been planned already. The amount of protection slots for ToLs was increased and walls and barracks(they held NPC guards you could have in a city) were auto protected. The amount of barracks you could have in a city was also limited to 8. Before it was unlimited so some cities were literally just full of barracks(these guys were your dupers). It was very expensive to have that but it also made a city very hard to destroy if this were the case because a city might have a thousand NPC guards there to harass and attack. It also generated a ton of lag for those attacking and really for those defending. This was also another major source of server lag.

The window that defenders could set a bane was also tightened. They generally fell on NA friendlyish times of 1PM CST to 3AM CST (I say friendlyish because those were still all over the place.) Bane times generally became shorter. Banes stones initially had not much health (100000 hp). This could lead to people rushing the bane stone and bashing it down. Ranked bane stones were introduced that could have up to 10 mil hp.

It also became possible to travel to friendly trees through the use of an NPC on the tree called a rune master. This allowed defenders much easier travel. Previous to this, all long distance travel was through rune gates that were placed in set spots around the map and summoning. Early on, only healer based classes had the ability to summon. This was later changes with vampires but that happened with the second expansion that came out at the end of 2004.

I realized that I haven't explained bane mechanics too well. Basically you were able to build buildings of war(Bulwarks and siege tents). Bulwarks provided the base for trebuchets and other machines of war to be built for bashing down walls and hitting enemies(the latter was hardly used until it was broken and exploited to blow up stacks). These were controlled by players to attack the target they wanted. They acted like a pet. These trebs could be destroyed and the bulwarks could be bashed down to slow damage to their walls.

The biggest part of banes was controlling the bulwark fields. If you were the defender, this gave you the opportunity to bash down their bulwarks and destroy the stone. If you were the offense, this gave you the opportunity to replace any destroyed bulwarks and deal damage to the walls to gain access to the cities. This is a vast oversimplification of it but that is the overall idea.

That is a very quick overview of some changes. I left out a ton of things and I wasn't overly specific on others so if you have any specific questions or other old SB players want to chime in, have at it.

TL;DR: If you care, read it.

Edited by phylor

C4sIZDW.gif

Here is a collection of videos I uploaded from my old HDD. Not all are banes but they are labeled in that thread.

Note: I didn't make the videos on there. In fact I only ever made one video and it actually isn't on there for some reason.

http://shadowbaneemulator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10865

This particular video shows fights within a bane to control the bulwark field. This is Crime Syndicate Nation destroying Dissent Nation's capital on Vindication. The text scrolling at the bottom is the kill shots. Unfortunately unless you know the names of the guilds, it doesn't mean a whole bunch. CS would have had Commanders Reborn, Lemures Bellicus, Rise of Chaos(I think that is what FTP was called back then), and a couple of others I don't recognize/remember. Dissent would have also had Fear and Loathing(The Wretched), and a few others.

Something that I haven't actually seen mentioned is how guild structures worked in SB. SB had your normal guilds but also had the ability to sub guild other guilds on the server to make a nation. The bigger tag in those picture is the Nation tag. Crime Syndicate was the nation lead in this particular one. The smaller shield is that sub guilds tag. It allowed groups of players to come together and still keep some self identity as well as their own city as a nation could control 7 trees.

Edited by phylor

C4sIZDW.gif

you can stay....

rilly, anyone that enjoys it and wants to figure it out is moar than welcome...there's ALWAYS some SB folks around to help...we call them Dragonscale

the rest...well, "we wish to establish trade"

Excelsior!

I am sure we will trade ...

Here is a collection of videos I uploaded from my old HDD. Not all are banes but they are labeled in that thread.

Note: I didn't make the videos on there. In fact I only ever made one video and it actually isn't on there for some reason.

http://shadowbaneemulator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10865

This particular video shows fights within a bane to control the bulwark field. This is Crime Syndicate Nation destroying Dissent Nation's capital on Vindication. The text scrolling at the bottom is the kill shots. Unfortunately unless you know the names of the guilds, it doesn't mean a whole bunch. CS would have had Commanders Reborn, Lemures Bellicus, Rise of Chaos(I think that is what FTP was called back then), and a couple of others I don't recognize/remember. Dissent would have also had Fear and Loathing(The Wretched), and a few others.

Something that I haven't actually seen mentioned is how guild structures worked in SB. SB had your normal guilds but also had the ability to sub guild other guilds on the server to make a nation. The bigger tag in those picture is the Nation tag. Crime Syndicate was the nation lead in this particular one. The smaller shield is that sub guilds tag. It allowed groups of players to come together and still keep some self identity as well as their own city as a nation could control 7 trees.

Natural Outcasts was the other guild and I think Juppon Gatana Clan joined us later on

So I put this in the other thread you posted on but I'll throw it here as well. It isn't a completely detailed explanation of the system but it covers a large portion of it. There was a ton more depth that existed but this kind of covers the surface of banes and how they changed over the years.

That is a very quick overview of some changes. I left out a ton of things and I wasn't overly specific on others so if you have any specific questions or other old SB players want to chime in, have at it.

thanks for these detailed descriptions and vids, great resource. i think for those of us coming from non-sb games, this is all going to be really helpful. 

still a lot we don't know, but i think we know enough big picture stuff that folks interested in preparing for CF can cobble together info like this, start learning from those with siege style experience.

Edited by dead sparrow

Yeah, we'll learn more in the coming weeks. I am sure some things will be similar to SB and some things will be different.

The mentality that the group is more important than the individual will still be there though and that is a big thing of importance in SB. It is also what led to the collapse of a lot of SB guilds when they moved to WoW.

Many failed to survive because that wasn't forced there. Suddenly you could be somewhat selfish and not lose a city or a major part of why you were playing there. There wasn't that center of the guild(the city) to unite everyone. A lot of guilds fractured because of it.

C4sIZDW.gif

http://shadowbaneemulator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3733

Here is another collection of videos. This one has more but they aren't labeled like mine and there are some pretty poorly made socksty ones in there.

I have most of these as well but they are not uploaded. I should start doing that again.

If you want to dig through stuff though, you can take a look at that.

C4sIZDW.gif

House Avari has been left fractured and scattered to the four winds, though core members still keep ties.  Perhaps there will be a race to play in Crowfall that mirrors these charateristics.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

The mentality that the group is more important than the individual will still be there though and that is a big thing of importance in SB. It is also what led to the collapse of a lot of SB guilds when they moved to WoW.

This can't be stressed enough.

That is the single most important thing in GvG/Siege warfare PvP. You can be the greatest 1v1 PvPer in the world and be completely useless in large scale PvP if you can't get it through your head you are but a part in a whole. This is why sometimes I wanted to bang my head into my desk when people where crying out for combat styles designed for dueling or small scale pvp, it would be an absolute train wreck in large scale pvp.