Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dead sparrow

Sieges: curious to hear from SB folks

Im sure you wizard guys think we are just mindless pvp freaks. But honestly it wasnt the pvp that drew us all in for 10+ years. It was the meaning behind the pvp. And I know we have said it before but it really needs to be emphasized.

Everything you and your guild has worked for over months is suddenly burnt to the ground. You could lose everything. And it could be for a number of reasons. Someone in your guild killed the wrong person, maybe your city was in a nice location, maybe you said the wrong thing on the boards. Doesnt matter. No reset but, no do over, no pause. No re queuing for another arena. All your stuff is now ashes, and what isnt destroyed now belongs to someone else.

Wow that sucks huh? No, what sucks is not having the balls to get back up and go get your stuff back.

Thats what shadowbane was and why many of us have found a game that can relieve that scratch of meaningful pvp. Until now...I hope.

Edited by cash

X6RBqg7.gif

Im sure you wizard guys think we are just mindless pvp freaks. But honestly it wasnt the pvp that drew us all in for 10+ years. It was the meaning behind the pvp. And I know we have said it before but it really needs to be emphasized.

Everything you and your guild has worked for over months is suddenly burnt to the ground. You could lose everything. And it could be dor a number of reasons. Someone in your guild killed the wrong person, maybe your city was in a nice location, maybe you said the wrong thing on the boards. Doesnt matter. No reset but, no do over, no pause. No requeing for another arena. All your stuff is now ashes, and what isnt destroyed now belongs to someone else.

Wow that sucks huh? No, what sucks is not having the balls to get back up and go get your stuff back.

Thats what shadowbane was and why many of us have found a game that can relieve that scratch of meaningful pvp. Until now...I hope.

I *needed* to Like it harder than one button push so I'm quoting it.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

Everything you and your guild has worked for over months is suddenly burnt to the ground. You could lose everything. And it could be for a number of reasons. Someone in your guild killed the wrong person, maybe your city was in a nice location, maybe you said the wrong thing on the boards. Doesnt matter. No reset but, no do over, no pause. No re queuing for another arena. All your stuff is now ashes, and what isnt destroyed now belongs to someone else.

well put. i think a lot of us coming from other games are definitely looking for something like this, so CF is shaping up nicely.

So you lose your city...I imagine after the first time a lot of guilds were crushed and fell apart afterwards?  If you didn't fall apart, did you just get another ToL and find a new spot to plant it to start over?

Were cities guild specific or nation?  I understand the whole nation would help defend or attack.  10 person cap to guilds is really small, so hard to wrap my head around it.  Were cities, idk, designed for 10 people to live there?

Thanks for the info, it's a good read.  Some similarities to Lineage 2 sieges, but lots of differences.

not sure why the magicbane bashing. People just hate the forums over there. Despite my attitude to the contrary, the forums isn't the game. I'd say go to sbemu or magicbane (idc which), download the game, and ask to tag along to a siege. on sbstatistics.com you can see when and where any magicbane siege is. sbem usually posts them in the forums.

Almost anyone will let you tag along. Your hit points are your responsibility though.

So you lose your city...I imagine after the first time a lot of guilds were crushed and fell apart afterwards?  If you didn't fall apart, did you just get another ToL and find a new spot to plant it to start over?

Were cities guild specific or nation?  I understand the whole nation would help defend or attack.  10 person cap to guilds is really small, so hard to wrap my head around it.  Were cities, idk, designed for 10 people to live there?

Thanks for the info, it's a good read.  Some similarities to Lineage 2 sieges, but lots of differences.

oh gosh...this may be a long one...

ok, first some terms we use...

FG = full Group...ten toons

Guild = at least a full group, but you can do a one man Guild if you like...sometimes it was useful

Nation = 2 or more Guilds

Alliance = 2 or more Nations

Cities were planted by a Guild, but could tag to a Nation {there were two crests over your head...if you were a lone Guild...both would be the same)...and here's how

you got your Guild made, and got the money together to buy a Guild Seed, put it in your inventory and carefully got to the spot where you wanted to Plant it, being VERY careful because at any time outside a Safe Zone a Theif could steal it from you, or you could get dead and be looted for all your inventory...including that VERY expensive seed (highest priced NPC sold item in the Game, iirc)

but, you made it...found a Spot and Planted

ta daaa....a small Tree of Life sprouted and your Guild Leader got to set permissions of who could bind there and began spending money to "rank" the Tree (seed thru Rank 8)...it took time to Grow to each rank, and even moar cash

but each Rank let the Tree protect more buildings....your walls and such from being damaged outside of a Bane....unprotected Buildings could bet burned or bashed by seige equipment (be it hammer, staff or bow made for seiges only,  certain Disciplines or a seige engine)

buildings built slowly and had to be Ranked (more hitpoiints and iirc higher ranked NPCs)...then you coudl place NPCs that could roll you equipment, salvage jumk loot and so on, they also had to be Ranked...

so much moar...

but yeah...many Quit, those that lasted the first 6 months were pretty much hooked...for years....

NOTHING else like it ever afaik....only EVE comes close...and they are better about Market stuff, but way more impersonal combat, imo

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Also to further clarify, a guild did not cap at 10 players, the max group(or party size) was 10.  What was the cap on binds per tree 150?  Was there a cap?  I really dont remember.  Your guild could consist of one player or 100.  And remember you could have up to 6(?) toons to play on your account so if there was a cap per guild/tree divide that number by six.  Also take note that many "nations" we just guilds with multiple trees.  

Some of the bigger banes had 300 people vs 300 people but it also wasnt uncommon to see simple 20 v 20 or whathave you +-1 or 5 on each side although numbers on the field will always be disputed (especially when using calimath)

Minus the lockups seeing even 100 players on each side was a reallly cool experience.  You are talking minimal or insignificant NPCS(at most there would be city guards but they died really fast and had almost no impact on the bane itself).  Tactics and strategy for some was akin to an RTS except instead of pointing and clicking to tell your units would go youd have someone in ts or vent directing everyone.  Really cool stuff and some of the best battle commanders did an impressive job ( Bry comes to mind ).

X6RBqg7.gif

optimal GvG seemed to be between 2 and 6 FG per side

i think 3 or 4 per side was the sweet spot...any smaller you couldn't get as tactical, any larger and you lost the cohesion among the Guild that i find enjoyable, if there's so many people i don't know all thei rtoon names and can identify the Player by voice alone then the roster is toobig for me

and yeah, everyone had multiple toons, many had multiple accounts full of toons

this let you switch out after getting wiped in a battle...you respawned back at your Tree (unless killed on the City grid or bound elsewhere)...your rogue group got wiped by some casters...switch to Minotaurs in heavy armor with polearms and roflstomp the squishies and so on....

everything had a counter...but skill and teamwork meant more to everything than just the geek bits and number of players alone

all these things and more are why we loved it...and why most of us are here now, hope for that same depth and meaningful combat against Players...but somehow "new" and mebbe a bit "more"

forgive an olde RPK his nostalgia and ranting....it's that Zheimer guy...what was his name....Al?

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

In addition to playing W101, I also played EvE for many years.  I'm very familiar with losing your stuff permanently.  A few questions comparing EvE and SB:

- Is there any sense of logistics in a war, with many battles over a given week/month, with losses/bullets needing to be continuously replenished?

- Is there any sense of large army/fleet movement with composition and order of march being important?

- Can you wage economic warfare, destroying infrastructure and/or production abilities.

EvE has a very complex and dynamic industrial component, with big fights held over land (star systems) that contain key rare production resources.  How was the SB economy? 

In addition to playing W101, I also played EvE for many years.  I'm very familiar with losing your stuff permanently.  A few questions comparing EvE and SB:

- Is there any sense of logistics in a war, with many battles over a given week/month, with losses/bullets needing to be continuously replenished?

- Is there any sense of large army/fleet movement with composition and order of march being important?

- Can you wage economic warfare, destroying infrastructure and/or production abilities.

EvE has a very complex and dynamic industrial component, with big fights held over land (star systems) that contain key rare production resources.  How was the SB economy? 

pretty much yeah...different tho since yer not ships and systems but toons and cities...

also one server the only "warping" you can do large scale is between cities you own, safeholds (hi-sec) or between Gates....you can have Players use the Summon ability to chain in others

so yeah, exactly the same but totally different...

/shrugs

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

pretty much yeah...different tho since yer not ships and systems but toons and cities...

also one server the only "warping" you can do large scale is between cities you own, safeholds (hi-sec) or between Gates....you can have Players use the Summon ability to chain in others

so yeah, exactly the same but totally different...

/shrugs

Excelsior!

Sounds like army movement is much slower, both tactically inside the besieged city (Star system's planets, moons, star gates, and various random rally points set by the scouts) and strategically between the various counties (star clusters/constellations).

One of the fun events for an EvE/alliance was a major freighter movement from the home worlds into the international trading hubs and then back home.  All sorts of tactical fun for both the defenders and marauders trying to catch them.  What happened in SB when you died in the battle?  Respawn in a clone and have to grab stored gear from your industrial locker?  Can you just rush back to the line of battle?

Chills sir.  Freaking.  Awesome.

Sounds like army movement is much slower, both tactically inside the besieged city (Star system's planets, moons, star gates, and various random rally points set by the scouts) and strategically between the various counties (star clusters/constellations).

One of the fun events for an EvE/alliance was a major freighter movement from the home worlds into the international trading hubs and then back home.  All sorts of tactical fun for both the defenders and marauders trying to catch them.  What happened in SB when you died in the battle?  Respawn in a clone and have to grab stored gear from your industrial locker?  Can you just rush back to the line of battle?

no "jumps" or warps outside of what i said, you had to run...and not auto either, well not if you wanted to live (good groups could group run because the leader knew when to drop....so did the Players)

dying in battle left your inventory for looting, you respawned at your Tree (or other bind point city) and then had to either run or be Summoned back to the fight....your gear was damaged and you were in DeathShroud (stats about zero)...most woudl repair, reload inventory by the time Ds dropped and you got a summon..1-2 mins...the shorter the pit stop the better, Guilds worked VERY hard at getting this down...at least the good ones did...

whew...hope that helps

in the SB subforum there a topic with the old wiki in it if you want to know more....

but, as i've done before....here's a clip of a city seige adn the second half is a mine fight (resource node)

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

Pretty much basically what these guys said. Fielding more than 50 and cohesion and ability to move quickly diminished. Dunno if these guys have said anything about this or not, but these banes could last for hours upon hours. I remember on Vengeance server, some of those banes went 12+ hours.

I'll post my link to the channel where I've made Shadowbane Videos, some are mine fights and some are banes (sieges) on cities. Hopefully they will help some of the guys that haven't played Shadowbane understand what we love about the game. If i got to Cash's Tree of Life and camp his city for awhile, well that may just result in him dropping a bane on our city.

Also another thing that was usually sure to get yourself baned was crashing someone else banes. Basically an unaffiliated guild would come in and kill both sides as they are fighting each other. Which would usually result in /tells coming from both sides asking why you're helping the other nation out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf4CuPXyBnS-lsC8RiFPhXQ

Edited by olgrim

LMAO i was in a RP Guild on UOfor a few months, the funny thing........ My character was a Butt Pirate on a never ending search for a cabbin boy. lol

So that was more sarcasm than anything..... but in character on the forums.............. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Harrr, wots wrong princess?  Yer mudder take away yer perfume?  'Nother fancy talkin' land rat wishin he be a lion.  Arrrr!

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates