Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dead sparrow

Sieges: curious to hear from SB folks

Hrm... maybe I need to make a "how to die dumb" video. I certainly excelled at that.

I thought you excelled in counting deaths and kills? ;) <3

Hrm... maybe I need to make a "how to die dumb" video. I certainly excelled at that.

I couldn't always be there to save you.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

I think that's exactly what we are looking for.  What's the point of burning someone's city down if they don't completely lose it?

If you haven't played SB, it's hard to describe the feeling of accomplishment after weeks of preparing for banes, days setting them up, and hours fighting them.

It would be awful if you wasted all that time for the loser to get some half built starter city just so they didn't lose everything.

The problem is that, if the penalty is that hard this game will lose half its pop in the first year easy just from that. Do we really want to make it to the point that the only ones that end up playing this game are the SB people with a few DF players? That would get stale quick. We need to keep the sheep around for the long haul, not just the first 6 months to a year.

Edited by gauis

A recent dev quote....

I wonder how this reduced grinding will affect sieges.  It sounds like the entire process was very "grindy;"  the build city, conquer city, lose city.  Lots and lots of money involved to both build a new city or to bane an existing city, then of course the consequences of a loss.  All that money had to be farmed.  I'm curious how SB sieges could have worked, and be as meaningful as they were, without the grind involved.

For guilds that didn't know the dupes it would be grindy in SB terms of Grindy. Killing mobs wasn't hard it was just tedious people set up macros of Druids that had powerful Aoe's or perma flight Warlocks and have one or two people loot the mobs. Now for the guilds duping they had gold coming out of their ears so ginding wasn't the main factor in driving SB sieges, it was the paint drying effect.

Coming from EvE, I'd hope for a lot longer (Weeks, Months, even years) wars.  Having a single, blow out fight with a binary (all/nothing) outcome seems too simplistic to me.  Personally, I'd hope that the Guild's need to build/keep stuff would scale with the group size.  No defeat should be complete, nor should any victory.  In EvE, It's all about group cohesion, such that if your group is wiped off the map it's quite possible to still be a huge threat and to grow big on the map again.  In EvE, there are very powerful entities that NEVER held (conquered) territory longer than it took/takes to sell the land off to new "owners". 

We had conflicts 'at lasted months an years an' would go through many phases boyo.  On Mourning thar were several iterations of tha UDA vs. Rainbows wars, 'at transitioned later to tha UDA vs. PPC wars, an so forth.  Lots o politics and lengthy conflicts.  Ya got to also keep in mind 'at not every victory was determined by a bane.  Ya saw some guilds come an' go after not bein able ta handle tha constant pillagin.  Demoralized an' broken, they end up lost to tha ages.  Har...wonder if CotS is still around in some form.

you've gotta love the leveling during banes and pvp =)_) best addition to sbemu ever. 

They had PvP leveling during live and was the only good thing about CN banes...easy to get to 75.

Edited by gauis

We had conflicts 'at lasted months an years an' would go through many phases boyo.  On Mourning thar were several iterations of tha UDA vs. Rainbows wars, 'at transitioned later to tha UDA vs. PPC wars, an so forth.  Lots o politics and lengthy conflicts.  Ya got to also keep in mind 'at not every victory was determined by a bane.  Ya saw some guilds come an' go after not bein able ta handle tha constant pillagin.  Demoralized an' broken, they end up lost to tha ages.  Har...wonder if CotS is still around in some form.

Cinnibunny is correct

take oooone lil cornerstone of a town and 10 years later these peg legged deck monkeys still hold a grudge!

We undead simply like to take a few souls and establish trade. Very peaceful and non threatening.

They'd bring pitchforks and torches!...ruining the ambient fung shui of our moon lit dark crypts.

peerat meanies!

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg