Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Customizing your kingdom: Official discussion thread

"Today, we’re doing a refresh on the Eternal Kingdom FAQ to give you a deeper understanding of that design – and we’re giving you a LOT more detail on how these Kingdoms work." 

FULL NEWS STORY

ETERNAL KINGDOM FAQ

Discuss below

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

All that UI supporting the building is amazing, almost looks like its own game :)

Transcript

0:05 JTC: So today we are unveiling the kingdom building tool and the parcel building tool. Now together these are really the world building tools that we're going to use to build the campaign worlds and that you guys get to use to build out your kingdoms.

0:16 JTC: The basic way they work is, you divide up your world into a series of regions and then provinces and inside those provinces, which you can grant to other players you're going to drop parcels. An individual land parcel is really a tract of land, it includes not just a keep or a castle but also all the land surrounding it. The idea is that I am basically dropping these parcels in and I am customizing my world, to have the layout and the look that I want.

0:40 JTC: So I can lay out my world with castles, with keeps, with farmland, with river lands, with forests, with mountains, it's an all encompassing tool that allows me to build out my kingdom however I like.

0:52 JTC: The parcel building tool is basically the same thing only at the micro level. I am actually dividing up my parcel and saying "ok I want a village over here", "I am going to grant that to one friend", "I am going to take this area over here and I am going to turn it into a merchant's quarter" and "then over here I am going to keep that and that's going to be for my person housing".

1:11 JTC: We tried to make the system completely open and flexible and give you all the power you needed to create the kingdoms you wanted to create.

1:18 JTC: The other thing that's cool, once you have a parcel of land you can actually upgrade it. You can use materials that you get in the campaign worlds to take your castle and make it bigger and better. The footprint doesn't change though so once I've slotted it into the world I can make those upgrades without having to change the surrounding area.

1:35 JTC: There's actually a ton more to this system, it's very very deep and very very cool. More than I could possibly show you in this video. So check the link below, it's got the FAQ which covers it in a lot more detail and we'll see you on the forums. Thanks!

Edited by oberon

So it works like the Genesis Device? Spock will revive and Khan will die?

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Finally!  The bigger they are the harder they are get out!  :)

Yeah that's totally not a euphemism.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Looks very interesting and I can't wait to try it out!

In some of the promotion videos it shows that we can build in our kingdoms and such using voxels. Does that still apply, and would we be able to change the shape of buildings i.e. make a pentagonal castle?

Edited by DraceR

Thx for the update. So this is whats it like to be near the top of the page.

"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers".

On 6/9/2015 at 3:44 PM, Tyrant said:

Finally!  The bigger they are the harder they are get out!  :)

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

All that UI supporting the building is amazing, almost looks like its own game :)

That's what I said!

I think plenty of people will lose themselves in world building and hopefully really enjoy it. I am approaching the tools the way a DM or Terrain builder would in a table top game. It's super dense, but if we do it right, it will be easy to jump right in.

Billy Garretsen - UX Design Lead, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

[Personal Portfolio]