Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Customizing your kingdom: Official discussion thread

Pann

I still think we are heading for unneeded trouble as long as all EK's are owned by individuals. I hope AC will change their mind and allow a "guild" to own it's own EK, where the monarch is whomever happens to be the guild leader (chosen by whatever method available). But this update is pretty cool. 5k by 5k potential EK? Pretty cool. 

I see much more potential for abuse your way than the way ACE said they want it.

Even ACE's way, Each member must trust the guildmaster, and vice versa.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

There's definitely a lot of particulars left to work out with EKs. Things they'll need to tweak/figure out, etc. But, I see the potential for them. I just hope the ratio of global exporting (from campaigns) to importing (from EK into campaigns) won't be like 99:1. Or, not via restriction, anyways.

I dunno. I'd definitely like to know all the details of everything and how it all will function together in the final product. Alas, waiting is required for this. 8P

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

There's definitely a lot of particulars left to work out with EKs. Things they'll need to tweak/figure out, etc. But, I see the potential for them. I just hope the ratio of global exporting (from campaigns) to importing (from EK into campaigns) won't be like 99:1. Or, not via restriction, anyways.

I dunno. I'd definitely like to know all the details of everything and how it all will function together in the final product. Alas, waiting is required for this. 8P

What exactly do you mean by that ratio?

Are you hoping for less or more import into he campaigns?

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I'm hoping for more potential import into "the campaigns" (not all campaigns.) On a scale of none-to-infinite. Not "more than currently," because I don't really know what the details of all the campaigns will be. They've mentioned rulesets with greater import allowances, but nothing super specific.

It's not a "I think campaigns should be played with oodles of whatever-you-want at the start of them!" plea or anything. Just, if we assumed that the only campaigns that will exist are using the current campaign rules we know about (very, very restrictive importing), then it just seems like there'll be a huge imbalance in the flow of things. And when I say "imbalance," I don't mean "it should all be 50/50." You can put feathers on one side of a scale, and rocks on the other, and you're going to end up with a lot fewer rocks than feathers.

Anywho... it's just a general design thing. It would feel like a hugely missed opportunity if the extreme vast majority of campaigns allow no/very-very-very-limited importing, and the whole while you've got this HUGE flow of resources and goods out of campaigns, but hardly a trickle even possibly going back into any of them. Especially 2 years into the game's life, when all the people who started when it launched having thousands upon thousands of resources by that point.

The premise of the world resets is for people to start on a level playing field, not an empty playing field. What I mean is, there's nothing about the competitive nature of the game that rules out "We both start with 100 stone instead of 0 stone." Unless the victory condition in that hypothetical campaign is "Acquire 100 stone," there's nothing nonsensical or problematic in the existence of a even a very-high-import module/ruleset.

So, they've mentioned, vaguely, campaigns in which you can import more, but haven't really given any examples of how much, or how prevalent they expect such rules to be, etc. It's just information I'd like to know, so that I could do more than speculate about such things. 8P

An (almost) empty playing field is the only way to be truly level. Besides: The whole point of campaigns is to play 2 crush. Not to play 2 show off. So why would I want to bring anything to the campaigns? Ressources are superfluous as they are available in the campaign itself. Relics and Artifacts are covered by their own rules. Equipment is just ever degrading. So, what to bring to a campaign?

An (almost) empty playing field is the only way to be truly level. Besides: The whole point of campaigns is to play 2 crush. Not to play 2 show off. So why would I want to bring anything to the campaigns? Ressources are superfluous as they are available in the campaign itself. Relics and Artifacts are covered by their own rules. Equipment is just ever degrading. So, what to bring to a campaign?

If Team A is fully equipped in top-end gear and Team B is naked when the campaign starts, Team A is going to take an immediate lead in control of important POIs which will last through the entire campaign. Equipment degrades but that doesn't mean it's unimportant.

But feel free to prove me wrong by joining high-import campaigns naked.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Isn't that exactly the reason why harsh limits on what you get to import are important? I'm saying exactly this but was also examining what - IF AT ALL - you'd want to bring to a campaign that isn't covered by the three items I explained.

To be more specific: Allowing to bring you best equipment to a campaign is 'meh' out of two reasons. One being exactly what you described and the second is what I described. That any particular equipment item you'd bring to a campaign is prone to breaking eventually. And due to this all an item could give is the exact headstart you describe - which we don't want.

Why don't we want that? If it's a high import game, you know that before you join it. Either gear up properly or choose a different campaign.

Maybe for some people the struggle to bootstrap yourself from nothing is not a fun part of the game. If they only have to go through that once and then they can sustain a sufficient export tempo to give them a comfortable import every game, that's fine.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Why don't we want that? If it's a high import game, you know that before you join it. Either gear up properly or choose a different campaign.

Maybe for some people the struggle to bootstrap yourself from nothing is not a fun part of the game. If they only have to go through that once and then they can sustain a sufficient export tempo to give them a comfortable import every game, that's fine.

Yep, that's pretty much a core concept of this game. Pick a Campaign and rule set that suits you and go play. Worrying about what others are doing is on you and not something they are going to design the game around.

*siiiiiiiigh*...

A level playing field is a level playing field. It has nothing to do with being stuff-less, and everything to do with being even on both sides. If team A gets their own Voltron they can summon, AND team B gets THEIR own Voltron they can summon, then the playing field is level.

Is there still other stuff to consider? Sure. If you could bring infinite resources in, it would defeat the purpose of fighting over resources in the campaign world. But, that doesn't mean that if you can bring in enough stone to set up a small outpost to begin with, the playing field is ruined. You still have to maintain it, and build more stuff, etc. For which you would not have enough imported resources.

Also, as far as we know, items decay (at least mainly) with use. If all your items just decayed because time passed, then it would never be prudent to store up anything whatsoever for any period of time. You'd just go mine some metal ONLY when you needed it, and make some weapons ONLY when you needed them.

"Hey guys! Our equipment's running a little thin during this siege. Better grab the backup gear!"

"But, sir! Our backup gear was made 3 days ago! It's at 25% durability now!"

"Dear heavens! Stop preparing in advance! Let's just get the smiths to crafting AFTER we run out of weapons and armor! 8D!"

Seriously though. What's the point in anything but Terminator rules, according to the reasoning you're presenting?

From what little we've seen about decay, it looks so far like decay only takes place when you die/respawn. We've haven't seen anything that would suggest time-based or use-based decay.

EDIT: I am completely wrong about everything.

Edited by Jihan

Tully

23. HOW FAST DOES EQUIPMENT DECAY?

Equipment will take small amounts decay from use in combat and large amounts of decay when the player is killed in combat. Crafters will be able to repair equipment which will lower its max durability each time it is repaired.

Stupid Jihan, go read the FAQ noob.

There's so much stuff in it it's nearly impossible to recall everything... I always have to go double check because I forgot about those things. Before I copy-pasted the decay stuff, I had no idea it was in the fact, I searched with f3 lol. If you had asked me without being able to check FAQ, I would prob have answered the same as you did.

I think you're at least correct that no strictly-time-based decay is specified. You were only mistaken about the use-based decay. 8P

No worries, man. We're all just huma--- *spark spark*, hu-hu-hu-hu-man.

*smiles as if nothing is strange*

Is there a source for that?

Alright ... where?

The campaigns are the main game.

They are fully functional MMO servers, that won't depend on any outside mechanics.

The EKs are an optional system, that will be meaningful to some, but not to all.

They are mainly there for a social meta game and to display your winnings in the campaign.

This means that there will be less people concerned with the EKS than the campaigns.

The campaigns will need constant crafting in the firm of equipment, buildings and repairs for both.

Once you enter a campaign you cannot bring anything else than your initial import into it.

There is little reason to craft equipment in the EKs, unless you want to play pretend pvp games.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I am new to this game, drawn in by the EK video a few days ago.  There are a few aspects that are a bit unclear to me at this point.

1. Are there any PvE elements to EKs?  Wandering mobs, animals to hunt, etc.
  2. Is PvP an option in the EK?
  3. If #1 and #2 are No, then what is the purpose of Keeps and Castles?  Cosmetic appearance?  RP?
  4. Are there different tilesets within an EK?  Could there be mountains and desert in the same EK?  What about something like a sinister wood or plagueland?
  5. Is it expected that players can freely move between EKs and their active CW?  I could not find anything about that.

For me, the EKs sound like the perfect activity for me and many of my friends that I have made over the years of playing MMOs.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:  Added question #5.

Edited by Dunnlang