Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Urahara

Crowfall localized in 6 languages

The only question I got left now is what the current stretch goal means.

• Crowfall localized in 6 languages
  • German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Italian

Does that mean artcraft is gonna run their own servers at launch in europe and publish the game on their own in europe? Or does it only mean there will be a version of this game in 6 foreign languages?

That would be important for me to know.

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

You already asked this question in another thread, where it has been answered.

Multiple posts of the same question are poor forum etiquette.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Yeah, thank you for lecturing me about something i already know for myself.

Its just that i found out after this, that I am now able to start topics by myself.

Otherwise I wouldnt have done so.

And thanks for taking the time to lecturing me, but not answering my question.

Its not answered in a way that i got now the answer.

fairly disappointed, they try to "sell" localisation as a stretch goal

wait what?

They don't sell it... people still have not understood that giving money to ACE is not "buying" stuff for the game, it is backing - so the game get's actually made. The more money the get, the more they can add to the game.

The goods you get are just a "thank you" form them that you gave them money.

If you only give the money because you get items for it (so you "buy" them), you misunderstood the whole thing.

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

fairly disappointed, they try to "sell" localisation as a stretch goal

What would be a great stretch goal for you? I think localization of the game in 6 different languages is a pretty good one. It will allow our fellow German, Russian,  Italian people who have trouble with English language to play the game without constantly searching for translation.

All the stretch goals ACE put so far were for important stuff they really want the game to offer, like the Mounts and Caravan, the website localization, the programmers, etc.

I prefer this 10 times over the alternative I've seen so far in website crowdfunding where companies just seem to put very popular but meaningless stuff to get as much money as possible.

Probably ACE could find even better stretch goals. If you have anything to suggest they would surely be pleased to take it into consideration.

For me its just important if they wanna run their own servers in europe and publish the game in europe on their own, or not.

Because if its done by a third party, you can be sure they dont care about the game or the players, only about the money they can make. Happens all the time. And ruins most of the time the entire game, just because the local publisher isnt suited for the job.

So that is of course the most important thing to know. A third party publisher got all the potential to ruin the whole game. Look at SOE in europe for example. Nobody interested in games wants this.

So if that stretch goal doesnt mean exactly they gonna publish the game theirself in europe, then they should make that their first priority before translating the game in other languages.

Most of the people interested in this game already need a certain level of english skills to participate so far. So there is no need to translate a game into languages if you dont wanna publish the game there on your own.

Who is going to publish the game in europe is a major topic. And europeans would invest in this game, if they know they get recognized for that, and treated equal.

Selling the rights for the game to a european publisher means the publisher invests money, which he has to get back and a nice big profit on top of that of course. And from where they gonna get that money is sure, of the european players. And so they wanna make their share of me as well of course, and I dont wanna pay money for the same thing twice of course. So if there are enough europeans interested and getting recognized, they should be treated equal and that means publishing the game in europe without interfering third partys.

Edited by Urahara

The $165.000 goal was:

• localized (6 languages) website
  • european beta servers
  • community manager for overseas communities

The next goal is (as you stated):

• game is localized in 6 languages

So to be honest - if they can put up beta servers. And I think they won't have Beta Servers just for 1 Beta but for all Betas (possibly including Open Beta) I think there is a big chance for them to publish the game through the end. 

And  managing a game by a 3rd party is usually not efficient if they gonna keep the promise of no real p2w. Also Crowfall is not a korean mmo which usually needs a western publisher because everything else is not even thinkable in terms of costs contra gain. 

Edited by Thyr

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

Last time Walton talked about this he gave the impression that ACE was gonna handle european servers as well (still not 100% sure though).

Otherwise the first stretch goal would be useless, since they were gonna sell the rights to some EU company anyway (like they will with Asia).

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

We've committed to these two stretch goals:

The $165.000 goal was:

• localized (6 languages) website
  • european beta servers
  • community manager for overseas communities

The next goal is (as you stated):

• game is localized in 6 languages

We have not committed to self-publishing the game in Europe.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

What entails "self-publishing" then?

Box sales?

Server hosting and maintenance? (usually done with assistance of an external contractor anyway)

Customer support?

The important part for most of us EU backers is the question about how much control over the game you (ACE) are willing to relinquish to the (possible) publisher, out of fear it might cause the game to diverge from the core idea too much.

EDIT: Now, I know that Gordon also proclaimed that ACE will take care of EU-server hosting themselves. I'm just curious what the non-commitment to self-publishing in Europe actually means.

Edited by Angier

About half (dare I say more?) of your backerbase is European. I too want to know what self-publishing exactly means. I suppose just a local game server is enough, but is that not self-publishing? Does this mean us Europeans have to deal with a publisher?

I currently play ESO on the NA megaserver without any lag/latency issues whatsoever, so it certainly can work. I'll be curious to see how it plays out.

EDIT: Now, I know that Gordon also proclaimed that ACE will take care of EU-server hosting themselves. I'm just curious what the non-commitment to self-publishing in Europe actually means.

Every post related to Europe servers I've found from the developers all say the same thing : they have committed to have European servers at launch for Crowfall and this might be made possible thanks to a partnership.

Here are the quotes :

"Anyone who pre-purchases the will be able to play on our servers regardless of territory (i.e. we'll always take care our customers). We think it unlikely that Europe would use a different business model than in North America, but we simply can't guarantee it at this point. As we've said, we want to do all the English-speaking territories at a minimum, and would like to do the rest of Europe also, but that may not be something we can pull off. What we will promise is that we will be transparent about what we are doing in other territories as soon as we can be!http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1695-ask-the-team/page-12#entry55878

"Having worked on multiple titles that were shipped internationally, my number one concern is great, localized customer service.  Only territories with enough critical mass typically get localization of the game and of the service (typically this means 20k+ ongoing players for a title like ours, many more a title that heavy on text and/or voiceover).  As you note there are countries in Europe that end up playing in English because there is not enough critical mass of players to fund the localization and localized services.

If we sign up with a partner in Europe, typically that relationship encompasses the entire region.  As we've noted before, if we can do Europe directly, we will, but that will be dependent both on the demonstrated European demand and on our funding situation.  The rights to Europe for a game like Crowfall could materially contribute to the overall development budget, if we end up needing that.

If you've experienced companies you think serve MMO customers well in Europe from a players point of view, I'd love to hear about them.  No need for the horror stories about the bad ones please." http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1695-ask-the-team/page-12#entry56571

">Anyone who pre-purchases the will be able to play on our servers regardless of territory (i.e. we'll always take care our customers).

And hopefully we'll choose wisely if/when we get a European partner, but I understand the history of many games being poorly handled." http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1695-ask-the-team/page-12#entry56576

"Early backers are definitely welcome to be on our ACE servers.  Longer term we simply don't know what we'll be doing in Europe beyond the UK/Ireland.  If we can afford to do it ourselves, we'll be very excited about that, but we may simply need a partner to bring Crowfall to market there.  As far as hearts go, see our recent valentine!  :)" http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1695-ask-the-team/page-16#entry59437

"ArtCraft will have North American Servers at a minimum

There *will* be European servers at launch

All early backers will have their rewards on and access to ArtCraft servers, ongoing and if you choose, also on their local servers, if those servers are not owned by ArtCraft

In some regions, we *will* work with other companies to provide Crowfall distribution/service/support, definitely so in Asia

The Uncertainties:

We have a *future stretch goal* coming to localize the Game, website and forums to the top 8 languages of early backers

We *may* have other servers for the ArtCraft service in other regions

We *may* work with other companies to provide Crowfall distribution/service/support in other regions 

In every case, we will give you the rewards on the U.S. servers AND WE WILL ALSO make our best efforts to to replicate those rewards on your local region provider, too.  That way, you can decide where you want to play." http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3299-022715-distributionhosting-outside-of-north-america-for-crowfall/?p=81036

"*If* our number of early backers warrant it, we will put a server in other regions during Beta 1 testing if we don’t have a partner there yet.  It’s reasonable to think that we may get enough people to warrant a server in the EU, and/or one in Asia/Pacific region (probably Singapore), and even possibly in South America and Eastern Europe/Russia.  We’ve even had a lot of interest in the Middle East.  The international interest is unprecedented in our experience, but at this point it is hard to know now if we achieve critical mass.  Typically you need a player population in *excess of 10k people* in a region to support localized servers  over a long term period.  This is as much for critical player mass as for fiscal reasons." http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3299-022715-distributionhosting-outside-of-north-america-for-crowfall/?p=81036

"We *are* talking to potential distribution/service/support partners for all regions outside of North America We’d love to add Europe to our ArtCraft service but it’s a multi-million dollar capital investment (money that we don’t currently have).   So we’re proceeding as if we will work with a local partner in all territories outside of North America, for now." http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3299-022715-distributionhosting-outside-of-north-america-for-crowfall/?p=81036

"If we end up with ~10k early backers in the EU, we'll need to put a server there for the late betas.  The same would hold for Asia-Pacific/Aus/NZ, South America, Russia/Eastern Europe and/or China" http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3299-022715-distributionhosting-outside-of-north-america-for-crowfall/page-2#entry82040

"6)  Putting a server into Europe, and then actually servicing European customers means we are doing business in the EU and that has it's own set of costs, regulatory requirements and business complexities which are probably unclear to most customers.  We are not afraid of this, but we understand enough about what is involved to not jump in unprepared, or under-funded.   Given the feedback here so far, we are going to need to freshen up our knowledge on operating in the EU." http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3299-022715-distributionhosting-outside-of-north-america-for-crowfall/page-7#entry83995

"We'll have European servers at launch.  And I'm working to make sure they are localized too." http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3299-022715-distributionhosting-outside-of-north-america-for-crowfall/page-10#entry90384

"Stretch goal #1 for PayPal:  $165k (ACHIEVED)

Host servers in Europe for betas and launch

Localize the website/community in 6 languages  (German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Italian)

Hire another community manager to focus on our overseas communities" http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3332-paypal-coming-particularly-for-our-european-customers/page-18#entry147357

"Our third source of funding is licensing foreign rights. Distributing and supporting an MMO outside of your home market is both time-consuming and capital-intensive, far beyond the means of a company like ACE at this point. Based on the early data, we believe the game could also be very popular outside of English-speaking territories. Our business model works fine for the Western markets, and we've committed to having European servers for launch (either we’ll do it ourselves or do it with a partner).  Our design and business model may have to be modified to work outside of Western markets, which makes distribution more challenging for those markets. Typically, we can ask our partners to pay licensing fees for the overseas rights to our games, which means that we have another source of money that we can apply towards development. To this end, we are in active discussions with multiple parties already." http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/6043-the-crowfall-budget-question/?p=151705

Tyrant, you wrote 2 months ago : "It will be interesting after the Kickstarter to get the real numbers in European backers and $.  Please remind me to put that out in April, if I haven't already done it before then." Haven't seen those numbers on the forums yet.

Tyrant, you wrote 2 months ago : "It will be interesting after the Kickstarter to get the real numbers in European backers and $.  Please remind me to put that out in April, if I haven't already done it before then." Haven't seen those numbers on the forums yet.

Last thing we heard is that ACE got backers (above Amber) addresses from Kickstarter, and that the money made from Europe was higher than the initial 165k stretch goal. Assuming most of the people pledged less than Amber, that number is easily doubled, tripled or higher. If ACE knows more, they should tell us asap.

But I really can't stand them giving away EU servers to some publisher hoping for the best.

I will consider trading my pledge somehow and check Crowfall out in 2 years if that's the case.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

Thanks for the compilation, courant101!

I'm not that concerned about handing over distribution/hosting/support to another party as I have full confidence in ACE selection the right partner for doing so.

Just curious about what the actual plans are - although I'm pretty sure they aren't as set in stone currently as some of us would like.

Last thing we heard is that ACE got backers (above Amber) addresses from Kickstarter, and that money made from Europe was higher than the initial 165k stretch goal. Assuming most of the people pledged less than Amber, that number is easily doubled, tripled or higher. If ACE knows more, they should tell us.

But I really can't stand them giving away EU servers to some publisher.

I will consider trading my pledge somehow and check Crowfall out in 2 years if that's the case.

I understand and I would also largely prefer to get servers hosted by ACE directly if I were European. I'm pretty sure that if enough people want to play Crowfall in Europe, they'll have their own ACE servers there. From what I know of ACE, I'm convinced that if they choose a partner to help them implement servers in Europe, they will make sure the service surpass players' expectations. This impacts directly on Crowfall and ACE reputation I guess so they might be analyzing carefully every possible solution before taking their decision. 

I don't understand how selling crowfall publishing rights for europe is compatible with this:

I would be more then happy to pledge on paypal (already pledged on kickstarter) as well if we could get it answered if we can campaign server hop between US server and Europe server with our characters.  Some campaigns I may want to do with European friends.

That is what we're saying.

If everyone is able to server hop between EU and NA servers, it goes without saying that the game can't be modified in EU, same for the payment system. Publishers buy games only when they have 100% freedom to change them in order to get as many players in their region as they can.

So if what Walton said is true, they can only sell hosting privileges.

Which seems like a waste of money, since they could rent cloud servers in EU as they do in NA just fine.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png